BYOB

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

BYOB

Postby Shawn B » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:52 pm

I wouldn't expect Burpees to return. The couple who owned it when it burnt sold it to someone else. They in turn sold it to Irving. I'm assuming Irving bought it so they would have no competition in Welsford. Demolition of the building is expected to soon follow. I heard NBLCC is however looking for a new location in Welsford though. It was also in the paper that the new 4 lane highway is going to be started. It will go out behind Mt. Douglas and behind Eagle Rock. It probably won't affect Bald Peak but I'm wondering if anyone knows if it will affect the Quarry or are they going even out behind that? I'm guessing they will go up the current Clarendon Road which is quite a bit further out but that is a guess. Anyone know? Irving plans to put in a big stop at the new Welsford interchange once the highway goes in is the rumour so I wonder if they'll even shut down the one in the town.
Shawn B

Postby Fred » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:04 pm

I also heard from someone at work that they are sending the new highway out that way. It will certainly go around Bald Peak but I also wouldn't worry about the Quarry. Engineering wise it's not feasible to pass the highway through there because of the steep terrain and blasting required. It will likely pass further WEst of there and then meet up with Petersville Hill or something like that. I think.

You could probably call DOT planning to get more information.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:25 pm

We were wondering what happened with Burpees!!!!

What a shame it will be gone. Where will we get our beers now? Hopefully the Irving will open an agency store....though I do have some doubts on that.

Also, how excellent that the highway project will be avoiding our climbing areas!!! :)
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Teth » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:38 pm

Is Irving converting its gas station stores to “Blue Canoe” stores in NB, or are they only inflicting them on Nova Scotia. Talk about a waist of money. I wonder how much Irving paid someone to come up with that branding? What does a blue canoe have to do with gas or convenience stores? And who thought bright yellow would look good? This new look is an eye sore. I thought the old Irving Bigstop stores looked fine.

The Teth
The Teth

Postby Fred » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:48 pm

The first Blue Canoe that I can think of was the new Irving Big Stop here in Fredericton built about 3 years ago. But in this case the restaurant was called the Blue Canoe. It also has a real blue canoe hung from the rafters on the inside but the outside doesn't have the yellow theme. (i think) Now it seems they are adopting Blue Canoe as a replacement for Mainways and Big Stops everywhere.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby vbpad » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:46 pm

yeah i read an article at work about them converting all the irvings over
vbpad

Postby Ropeguy » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:26 pm

There are 3 or 4 that have been converted to the yellow and blue in SJ and Rothesay area.
As far a the hiway passing through the quary I agree with Fred and doubt it,Keeping in mind that the railroad tracks are there also and I'm sure they will not be moved anytime soon.I can check and see if any drawings are out there .......As for Blue Canoe see below!!

Bluecanoe stores will be visually appealing to customers,(EXCEPT FOR TETH CLEVELAND FROM NS) with a contemporary and friendly feel. The new Bluecanoe logo will be incorporated into the front façade and the newly designed pylon sign in front of the store. Customers will also notice changes where they purchase their gasoline, with newly designed gas pump elements and pump graphics, focused lighting, and new bright white coverings for the ceilings and the columns.

“We recognize that people will be wondering, ‘what does the name Bluecanoe mean?’” said Tim Guen, senior brand manager for Irving . “We wanted to find a name that distinguishes our company from our competition and supports our personality – friendly, genuine, and fun! We believe the store evokes wholesome and environmentally friendly characteristics and promotes an active lifestyle, which we know is important to our customers – and we tie all this together with ‘Bluecanoe’.”
Ropeguy

Postby Fred » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:56 am

does anyone know if the one in Fredericton was the first one?
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Ropeguy » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:16 pm

99% sure Freddy was the first one,From there Champlain Heights East SJ,Renforth,Garden Street SJ is almost done.Not sure when NS started.

As far as the drawings for any drainage or Bridges on the Welsford twin hiway nothing has been sent out ,Only info I know is what the DOT printed in the paper. Currently construction is going on around the longs creek area and StStephen has the drainage just about complete.Some big stuff was used in both areas up to 120" ID with fish weirs was used for the big streams.I'm sure nobody really cares about this except maybe Fred so I will just shut up and stop wasting time....... :?
Ropeguy

Postby Fred » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:07 am

you make it sound like all precast in NB goes through Stresscon. hehe

sadly it's the truth.

Seen any girders for Brunway yet?
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Ropeguy » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:57 pm

Yup,Starting to come out of the shop.We have alot of double tee's going also ......things are really slow starting this year.....
Ropeguy

Return to New Brunswick