Top Gun Grade

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Top Gun Grade

Postby Dom » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:53 pm

I've sent Top Gun a few times now and I think the route is 5.12a and not 12c. It's easier than Grand Theft Project 5.12b. Just thought I would clarify the grade because in the guidebook it is listed as 12c.
Anyways, it's a nice route with a short sequency crux. The rest is 5.9.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Re: Top Gun Grade

Postby F Côté » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:39 pm

Agree. I have climbed them both recently and grand theft project is definitely harder.
F Côté

Postby john » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:15 pm

I think this was originally graded by adam (?) and he stayed left I recall, which is definitely 12c. If you go right a bit it is easier and you are probably correct. If you go right a bit more its easier again. Where to draw the line is gray, and a bit contrived.
john

Postby SamS » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:13 pm

Path of least resistance using holds within an arms reach of the bolts is what I personally believe ;) If there is a 12a ""version"" to the right, that is still within a reasonable distance of the bolts, it's probably 12a. Just my 2c... will have to jump on the climb next time I'm up there.
SamS

Postby Shawn B » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:53 pm

Dom wrote:I've sent Top Gun a few times now and I think the route is 5.12a and not 12c. It's easier than Grand Theft Project 5.12b. Just thought I would clarify the grade because in the guidebook it is listed as 12c.
Anyways, it's a nice route with a short sequency crux. The rest is 5.9.

Shouldn't a route feel easier once you have climbed it a few times...especially if it is sequential.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby PeterA » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:06 pm

I would guess the route has changed now since the bolt has been moved. My memory could be wrong but I remember having to move really far left to clip the bolt, which felt a little unnatural, but also more like the 12c grade? Since then I think the 3rd bolt has been moved to the right, which allows you to climb the more natural path, and probably lowers the grade as well. 12a is probably right now

-PJ
PeterA

Return to New Brunswick