aweful weather

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

aweful weather

Postby martha » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:35 am

Okay, so here we are in the prime climbing season. Cool temps means high friction which means projects go down!

And so it rains two weekends in a row and we are loosing precious climbing time. Not to mention that I've only got a few more weeks before my arms won't be able to outreach my belly to get to the rock.

Damn it. Rain sucks.

anyone else feeling my pain?
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Stef » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:54 pm

Yup it sucks. I hate the layoff between rock and ice season. :-(
Stef

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:07 pm

I'm planning my return to indoor climbing. Gotta keep in shape and not get fat (pants are getting tighter every month).
Andrew

Postby martha » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:34 pm

Andrew wrote:I'm planning my return to indoor climbing. Gotta keep in shape and not get fat (pants are getting tighter every month).

You think YOUR pants are getting tighter every month? HA. You don't know the half of it.

fortunately mine will all disappear in one shot. Well.. mostly all...

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby mathieu » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:09 pm

Was north Conway dry at all??

We are going to Squamish on tuesday, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the weater to clear up but I'm starting to think it was quite naive of us to hope for sunny weather in the land of rain. oh well
mathieu

Postby martha » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:17 pm

we didn't end up going down to North Conway. It rained all weekend here, and for those who went to North conway, they got a bit of climbin in on Friday morning and a few pitches on Sunday. Otherwise, the state of NH acutally got record rainfall!

martha

Postby Aficionados » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:49 pm

If the weather can clear out sometimes, until when is it possible to climb in New Brunswick before winter starts ?
It's better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred as a sheep.
Aficionados

Postby martha » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:04 am

We climb on the rock all winter if the weather is good enough. Generally if there isn't a lot of snow, you can climb easily until Christmas or so on a nice warm day. It has to be sunny out though so that the rock warms up to your skin. :)

We climbed on rock last winter on Feb 5th. :) And Rock season starts in early march. :) You really only loose January to the cold etc. But don't count on getting enough warm sunny days to get out lots all winter. But enough. :)

martha

Postby Fred » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:11 am

on a calm sunny day you climb to zero degrees celcius easily. Rock must be in the sun though.

I've climbed at -10c but it's realy not pleasant.

Last year I put up new routes in Welsford on November 28. That was pretty much my last rock climbing of the season.

http://www.beta-source.com/homecrag/newroutes/newrouteswelsford.html

I've also climbed ice as early as mid October. :wink:
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby mathieu » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:56 am

martha wrote:We climb on the rock all winter if the weather is good enough. Generally if there isn't a lot of snow, you can climb easily until Christmas or so on a nice warm day. It has to be sunny out though so that the rock warms up to your skin. :)

We climbed on rock last winter on Feb 5th. :) And Rock season starts in early march. :) You really only loose January to the cold etc. But don't count on getting enough warm sunny days to get out lots all winter. But enough. :)

fred wrote:on a calm sunny day you climb to zero degrees celcius easily. Rock must be in the sun though.

I've climbed at -10c but it's realy not pleasant.

Last year I put up new routes in Welsford on November 28. That was pretty much my last rock climbing of the season.

http://www.beta-source.com/homecrag/new ... sford.html

I've also climbed ice as early as mid October.

OK before you get your hopes up by these tall tales maybe you should get a realistic answer. Really rock season ends on the long weekend of october (wave goodbye kids) and starts in april/may. HOWEVER you can get the odd day between that where the weater is nice and its not so painful to squeeze a few hours of painless climbing. Don't get me wrong i've climbed with a t-shirt in november and in february but we tend to skip work and don't have a 'normal' social life. Who calls in sick to go climbing or quits a job to go on a climbing trip??
mathieu

Postby martha » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:57 am

mathieu wrote:Who calls in sick to go climbing or quits a job to go on a climbing trip??

uh...you do Mat

martha

Postby thicks » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:00 am

I am feeling a nasty cough coming on right now..... still to bad about the rain though.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby Matt Peck » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:19 am

Yep. Sucks balls. Wicked avatar by the way Hicks. Thursday looks like it might be good for climbing, and maybe the weekend. We can only hope.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Return to New Brunswick