climbing areas affected by tides

Welcome NF !!!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

climbing areas affected by tides

Postby Fred » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:06 am

hey all.

I'm updating the links on this website and was wondering if there are any climbing areas in Newfoundland affected by tides.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: climbing areas affected by tides

Postby s.white » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:14 pm

hey fred, no areas on the west coast are affected. to find out about st. johns area, you'll probably have better luck getting a response if you email that question to wallnuts for leo...he just published a guide to the area and should know that information.
s
s.white

Postby dave » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:22 pm

There's not that much in the way of area's affected by tides i an think of.

There's always a chance of a big wave splashing you at the base of some of the routes in flatrock i think. I tend to avoid ropes so i dont know that much about it.

As for bouldering area's there's a couple problems in flatrock that you can't really get to if the tide is high but not that many. but again its mainly rogue waves you have to watch out for.

Same for a new sea cliff bouldering area near Stiles Cove i bailed out of there one day just before a monster wave crashed where i was climbing.

Other than that there's nothing i can think of.
dave

Postby Fred » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:52 pm

that's great info guys. Thx.

Based on this link, which exact names do you think are closest to the climbing areas you mentioned?

http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/english/Canada.shtml

My apologies, I don't know much about the climbing areas in NFLD. I tried searching the web for climbing areas in Newfoundland but found very little information. I did however find several Newfoundland snowmobile hill climbing videos on YouTube. hehe

Also, if you guys know of any good websites with beta, photos, etc for climbing in Newfoundland I'd be interested in adding the links above. It may be useful to traveling climbers or even new climbers from NFLD looking for info on the web.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby s.white » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:30 pm

I think your at the webpage for Newfoundland climbing, heh. Wallnuts has a page and there are a few tour providers that offer climbing and ice climbing packages. Other then that, i think any page you are lucky enough to find will more then likely be very outdated.
s
s.white

Postby dave » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:38 pm

Yeah sean is right. Although what he said reminded me of this site
http://www.geocities.com/nfbouldering/

which i hadnt looked at in years and was surprised still exists. It's not being updated or anything now though.

If I was using that site you linked correctly i think the closest place it has listed to the spots i mentioned is just St. John's.

but yeah the degree to which any of those areas are affected by tides is pretty small.
dave

Postby Fred » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:59 pm

tried to follow the link but everyone on here probably clicked that link now and the site has exceeded its data transfer

thx for the info Dave

cheers
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:25 am

Fred wrote:tried to follow the link but everyone on here probably clicked that link now and the site has exceeded its data transfer

thx for the info Dave

cheers

It doesn't take much to exceed the data transfer limit on the geocities accounts. They are ridiculously low. If you ever get into it surf slowly.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Return to Newfoundland and Labrador