Got ice screws?

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Got ice screws?

Postby shannon » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:17 pm

Anyone selling ice screws? Shorter ones?

Shannon Burt
shannon

Postby mike » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:55 pm

Are you being anti social???

Just wondering cause if you wanna climb some ice I'd be happy to join ya. We could share gear.

Mike
mike

Anti social?

Postby shannon » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:47 am

Mike,

Certainly not anti social. I'm looking for some ice screws for both climbing here in PEI, and for a trip I might be going on into Maine this March. I know few ice climbers over here.

I do plan on doing some climbing in NS when ice sundays arrive. hope to see you then!

shannon
shannon

Postby mike » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:34 pm

Yeah-Shannon- Ice daze- is it winter in Canada yet? I can't wait to get on some sketchy icicles.

Hey- if I'm gonna be outta country in March, which is likely (trying to build the bank for a summer of mountaineering), I'll certainly lend ya what you need for your trip.

36 degrees in Lagos today,
Mike
mike

here's what I got

Postby shannon » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:13 am

Mike,

the offer is very generous. Here's what I got so far.

harness and belay device, two technical ice tools, potentially three ice screws (omega smilies) a 60 m dry rope, one quick draw, two short slings, five locking beeners, rigid crampons and boots to match, 30 feet of static rope, and a helmet. Of course warm clothing is covered.

I am expecting that this isn't going to be as much "ice climbing" as it will be alpine climbing, so, I really could use an alpine style axe. potentially more slings, and quick draws.

Slings arn't that expensive. I only have two for setting up anchors on my climbing wall. I havn't done much anchor setup in the real world, but that will come in time. From what I think, all I really need to borrow is a mountaineering axe.

shannon Burt
shannon

Postby martha » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:17 am

Ugg...smilies.....

so hard to put in. so hard to take out.

invest in some BD Turbos or Grivel express screws. the Grivel ones are harder to rack. but I love them anyways.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby mathieu » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:14 am

"alpine climbing"? Your talking about Maine and not PEI I imagine? Are you doing stuff on Katadhin?

Anyway's unless glaciers have magically appeared on the eastern seaboard and they requre you crossing steep snow slopes I would leave the mtnering axe at home. If you have a technical tool, then I wouldn't bother lugging up a mtn.
mathieu

Postby mathieu » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:15 am

"alpine climbing"? Your talking about Maine and not PEI I imagine? Are you doing stuff on Katadhin?

Anyway's unless glaciers have magically appeared on the eastern seaboard and they requre you crossing steep snow slopes I would leave the mtnering axe at home. If you have a technical tool, then I wouldn't bother lugging up a mtn. Oh and leave the sport draws at home, get some light wiregates and some skinny new slings (MEC now stocks them).
mathieu

Katahdin it is.

Postby shannon » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:46 am

Are you saying take or leave the technical tools?

doing the chimney I believe.

shannon
michael shannon Burt
East coast editor
trailpeak.com
shannon

Postby mathieu » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:00 am

If the route has some technical ice then bring both technical tools and leave the mtnering axe at home, if its just a snow gully then maybe one of each. What I'm saying is don't bring three tools. Have fun
Mathieu
mathieu

Postby mike » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:34 am

I agree with the no mountaineering axe theory. I don't ever bring mine anymore. Your welcome to use it though.

Mike
mike

Thanks!

Postby shannon » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:29 pm

Mike,

Next time I'm bound for the big H, I'll get get in touch with you to make the arrangements. Hope to get there for one or two climbing sessions before March break.

shannon
michael shannon Burt
East coast editor
trailpeak.com
shannon

Return to Nova Scotia