Spring Destinations

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Spring Destinations

Postby Scooter » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:54 pm

I've been thinking more and more lately about doing a trip in the spring. Maybe solo, maybe with a partner if interested. Anyhow, I am looking for some advice or input on some climbing areas that are good to visit in the spring, preferably in North America. I would like to visit for a month or so, probably may-june/july. Looking for mostly bouldering but would like to have the option of sport if possible. Any suggestions?????
Scooter

Postby Fred » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:06 pm

Red River Gorge Kentucky for sport climbing. Anytime after mid April.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby mike walsh » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:09 pm

niagara glen if your wanna try some seriously featured limestone and sandstone bouldering. I found it to be death slopey and super weird pockets, but if you like that it's friggen wicked (and the easiest approach possible, giant steps path)
mike walsh

Postby dcentral » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:24 pm

Come West.

We are probably going to be doing a week of climbing in late april some where. Thinking prolly Skaha or Smith Rock.
dcentral

Postby Scooter » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:23 pm

dave we'll have to keep in touch :D
ive read alot about red river gorge and i am definately interested. jeremy said he was there and loved it. ill keep that in mind
Scooter

Postby Mountain_Marc » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:50 pm

Fred wrote:Red River Gorge Kentucky for sport climbing. Anytime after mid April.

I think you can go earlier Fred. We've been to New River Gorge a bunch of times in mid-march and the climbing was fine and I think Red River Gorge is a bit warmer.

Anyone up for a Southern Rock trip Easter long weekend? April 14-17 or longer. I'm game!
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby Fred » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:43 pm

Scooter wrote:dave we'll have to keep in touch :D
ive read alot about red river gorge and i am definately interested. jeremy said he was there and loved it. ill keep that in mind

Jeremy was at New River Gorge in West Virgina with me 4 years ago. I don't think he's been to Kentucky. New River is also a great place but Kentucky beats it hands down.

If you go to West Virginia forget the gorge and just go to Summersville Lake if you like sport climbing.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Scooter » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:47 pm

thats right he did say new river gorge
but i did read about kentucky in a gripped mag, and it seems promising...i got the 2 confused
Scooter

Postby dcentral » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:40 pm

I'm hoping there will be atleast 5 or 6 people going. We might be taking a couple of vechicals etc. Who knows at this point but if you got to vancouver we could always pick you up on the way throught. Cause we have to take the bloody ferry to get off here anyway.
dcentral

Postby Scooter » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:55 pm

ill look into tickets and talk to you on msn
Scooter

Postby Fred » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:00 pm

dcentral,

I'm hoping to come to the Island next summer. Any good climbing out there? I hear stories of overhanging bolted jug hauls.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:25 pm

Ahhh Don't come to Victoria if you want to climb. In Strathcona park there is a pretty good spot I have been told but I haven't made it there to climb yet. All around for a good guide book, with lots of different areas, etc Nanaimo is your best bet. I've been to a few places there, I wish I could go up there more.

Also Horne Lake is supposed to have good climbs but very little to warm up on. I might be wrong thought. The area has sensitive or non-sensitive access issues depending on who you talk to.I've heard different things from different people who all haven't been their recently.

For the most part everything locally is pretty crappy. Mt. Wells is the only spot worth going too but I wouldn't make a special trip there. The rest is short moss covered, crappy rock, rusyt looking bolts and small. I've gone on explorations a few times and everytime I go I'm glad I didn't bother to take my gear in with me.

I would like people to prove me wrong, but I don't think I am.

There is so much Alpine to be had thought.
dcentral

Postby Fred » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:36 pm

I've heard Horn Lake is superb. That's what I had in mind. How difficult are you talking about when you say there is nothing to warm-up on?
Fred
Site Admin

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:01 pm

mike walsh wrote:niagara glen if your wanna try some seriously featured limestone and sandstone bouldering. I found it to be death slopey and super weird pockets, but if you like that it's friggen wicked (and the easiest approach possible, giant steps path)

Bleh.....bad bad bad idea!!!!!

Winter.....nice on a sunny day
Fall....prime time
Summer.....hot, humid and slimey
Spring.....humid and slimey, with the ground being one giant mud hole

Not to mention no places to camp and you have to deal with Niagara Falls.

Scooter, any reason it has to be the spring?? If so, I'd try Joe's Valley, Utah for bouldering. Sandstone, free camping, not too far to head up to Salt Lake City for sport climbing. I was there in April and it was still a little chilly, but not bad (rad friction, yo!). There's also some places in Colorado on your drive out there or your drive back that you could hit up (not sure of the camping scean).

If you're looking at other times of year then other places are in their prime.

Plan and dream, so many amazing places out there!
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:49 am

Vegas would be primo that time of year too. If it was early spring especially. Red Rocks would be stellar. Loads of great sport, and you are close to bishop, Yosemite, Utah, Owens River, etc etc.

Tons of climbing to be done in that neck of the woods.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Pierre » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:58 am

I was in Nanaimo this past summer, did a little climbing at Nanaimo River and I think Holmes Rock both are very small crags but fun. Drove past the impressive Horne lake cliffs to go caving ( must do if on the island ). I believe the cliffs are on private property and it offically remains closed to climbing..

The rock in Nanaimo river is conglomerate - which made for crimpy hand holds
but wicked nubbins for foot holds.
Pierre

Postby Scooter » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:59 am

it doesnt exactly have to be spring, it would be summer time too. but fall and winter is out of the question due to school. thanks for all your suggestions. I got lots to read up on
Scooter

Postby dcentral » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:22 pm

Yeah there's a couple of good areas. THere's this spot on the other side of the Nanaimo river called the Darkside. It's got some really cool routes and neat features. It's supposed to be a little harder then the guidebook says. They weren't finished when the guidebook was published.

If you are only going to be here for a few days you'd probably get the most out of spending your time in Nanaimo.

The story I've heard about Horne Lake is that access is through private land. But the land owners in the area can't make up their minds whether to allow climbing or not. So you can still climb there it just has to be kept to a low profile. That's why there is no guidebook, except for a miniguide published in Climbing magzine a long time ago. I also think this is why there is not a lot of easier routes, as people just develop the plum lines. Although I don't know how up todate this info is. I was talking to someone recently and they said Horne Lake is a really nice spot but I didn't have time to get details out of him.

If you are going to climb there you'd definietly want someone to show you around.
dcentral

Postby Fred » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:35 pm

stop talking about all these great climbing spots. I just messed my pants. :oops:
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Isomer » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:55 pm

Horne Lake is closed officially, but people apparently still climb there. The fact that it is closed makes it difficult, if not impossible, to get any type of guidebook info.

If you think high 5.11s or low 5.12s is a warm-up, then it is THE sport place for you in BC.
Isomer

Postby Fred » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:44 pm

Isomer wrote:Horne Lake is closed officially, but people apparently still climb there. The fact that it is closed makes it difficult, if not impossible, to get any type of guidebook info.

If you think high 5.11s or low 5.12s is a warm-up, then it is THE sport place for you in BC.

I'd warm up on easy 11 if it's west cost 11
Fred
Site Admin

Postby ben smith » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:21 pm

fontain bleu fontain bleu fontain bleu!!!! are you bailing dude? its boulding heaven and the birthplace of baguettes (i think?) how can you top that
ben smith

Postby Scooter » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:34 pm

im not bailing you were saying squamish!??!
i'm down for font but not going by myself
lets doooo it
Scooter

Postby cooper » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:15 pm

ben wat is it with u and baguettes??
is that all u ever eat or sumthin ???
-Ryan
cooper

Postby Scooter » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:54 pm

you obviously dont know ben

so how is font in the spring time anyway? fred youve been right?
Scooter

Postby zig » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:36 pm

FONTAINEBLEAU
zig

Postby kate » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:23 pm

Font in the Spring would be ideal. we visited once during the insane killer heatwave summer and it was still sweet. it is in France, after all. how could it ever be bad??
kate

Postby Fred » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:33 am

Scooter wrote:you obviously dont know ben

so how is font in the spring time anyway? fred youve been right?

It's good. In April it was warm enough to wear shorts when the sun was out. I didn't enjoy myself as much as I could have because I was dealing with a shoulder injury.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby zack » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:29 pm

In Strathcona park there is a pretty good spot I have been told but I haven't made it there to climb yet

I was just out there this past summer
pretty sweet
I would go back for sure
zack

Postby dcentral » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:41 pm

Yeah it's huge park. I tried to make it too the top of Mt. Albert Edward near Mt. Washington, but got turned around 1.5 km from the top.
dcentral

Return to Nova Scotia