what were they thinking?

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

what were they thinking?

Postby jeremy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:40 pm

What were they thinking when people established eagles nest?
I just got back from there and.... are you kidding me? People don't actually climb there do they?

JH
jeremy

Postby ben smith » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:39 pm

no

its a choss pile and the bolts are rusting out but if the only other place you knew about was musquidobit i can see how some desperate people in the early 90's suffered on it. Sort of like that dump place in fredriction
ben smith

Postby dcentral » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:54 pm

It's awsome if you are in high school and like drinking on the edge of cliffs.
dcentral

Postby martha » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:16 pm

That was mine and Fred's first impression of NS Rope climbing years ago. No wonder we got a bad taste in our mouths!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:52 pm

I love the spray painted ladder though...
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby granite_grrl » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:45 pm

Hell, you can get there via the city bus system.....it has its advantages.

But I have nothing else to say for it other than its convineince.
granite_grrl

Postby Fred » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:25 pm

it should be turned into the first via-ferreta site in Eastern Canada
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Pierre » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:07 am

At least it something... I hate having to travel to go climbing.

I wish Moncton had a choss pile like this close by! I would even settle for one mega boulder.
Pierre

Postby jeremy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:28 pm

Man, theres lots of eagles nests around moncton. Just look for some 20 foot tall blasted rock cut along the side of the highway, throw 10,000 beer bottles off the top, along with about 20 TVs and 10 bikes. Then bolt the the most solid parts of the choss, and never go there. I'm serious!

JH
jeremy

Postby Mountain_Marc » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:24 pm

Pierre wrote:At least it something... I hate having to travel to go climbing.

I wish Moncton had a choss pile like this close by! I would even settle for one mega boulder.

The newer part on Moncton High is good for bouldering.
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby chameleon » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:28 pm

When I first moved here I used to diss "The Nest" pretty heavily - so I can relate to everyone's pessimism about the place. But it's still probably one of the most frequented areas due to it's accessibility. I'll admit there are definitely some bad routes there, but there's also some worthwhile lines - and the sandy texture of the rock is a nice change from our typical biting granite.

bla!bla!bla!
chameleon

Postby Pierre » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:50 pm

Mountain_Marc wrote:The newer part on Moncton High is good for bouldering.

I haven't tried buildering at Moncton High yet but will check it out once the weather warms up.

Also tried the CN bridge across from Taylor Ford, not a bad place to boulder but you have to watch out the drips of tar.

I've done plenty of buildering at MTA campus the sandstone sure chews up the finger tips.

The nest is by no means a climbing destination but if there was a crag similar to this local to me I would most like visit the area once in awhile. I've climbed at the nest and I'm not afraid to say I enjoyed myself the times I've climbed there. I would not spend a whole day there climbing but if I needed a quick fix it would be a place I would consider.
Pierre

Postby ben smith » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:39 pm

hey I just thought id throw out a warning if anybody is climbing on eagles nest the bolts are getting to be pretty manky-Heather sagar told me she pulled one of the anchor bolts on boomin system out under body weight- i beleive its still hanging there- try to top rope off the trees or try to find sollid gear and when leading the sport lines me and nathan brought some gear up and tried to use it to back up the bolts where possible. big mac sport and evening wall direct still look alright but there was glass in some of the jugs this summer and its dirty from runoff. all in all when me and nathan went we had a miserable enough time to never want to go back- if you are using the bus there are quality granite boulders within 10 minutes of the city (york redoubt and kidston lake) they are closer and the lines are better than eagles nest.
ben smith

Postby sgt.global » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:23 pm

If you are really desparete for bouldering near moncton head out to beaumont along the road that follows the river. when if you search around the point you will find a few boulders. There are about 7 or more problems out there. the rock is really nice sandstone. Also if you want to drive further I know some really nice spots (for being stuck in moncton) past hillsborough. If you ever want to hook up when i am in moncton I can show you some spots and some other areas the have good potential. Feel free to email me with any questions zagnut_77@hotmail.com
sgt.global

Postby Pierre » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:02 am

Thanks for the info sgt.global!

I'll definately will check out the area of Beaumont. I think there is some mountain bike trails up that way I want to check out also. Might have to take a Sunday drive out that way for some boulder hunting.

[quote ="sgt.global']Also if you want to drive further I know some really nice spots (for being stuck in moncton) past hillsborough. If you ever want to hook up when i am in moncton I can show you some spots and some other areas the have good potential.[/quote]

I would be very interested in bouldering areas past Hillsborough.. Feel free to send me details (pierre.arsenault at gmail.com ). If your in the Moncton area and have time I would greatly appreciate being shown these areas.

Pierre
Pierre

Postby zack » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:17 pm

There are some rock quarrys out memramcook
way and some loose sandstone in dorchester if
your extremely desperate.
zack

Return to Nova Scotia