ICE ICE BABY

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

ICE ICE BABY

Postby climberwannabe » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:37 am

Well, I went up to Harbourville/Morden to check out if any ice has started to form... and it is comming along nicely. I am no ice expert but a few more weeks of cold weather and I think some of it might be good to go. Anybody have some input on wether or not ice is too early? I've read a few books, but nothing is as good as actual experience.

Well I dont know about everyone else, but I am excited!!!
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby The Mitt » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:08 am

In the past, the ice has formed at the Quarry first. The thing about ice is that it seams that every year is different, used to be that the ice in Sackville formed first then the quarry. Could you take a pic and post it?

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby The Teth » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:53 pm

Last year (or was it the year before?) we had a sudden drop in temperature from above freezing to below -10 with sustained cold. The areas which form from groundwater seepage did not form because the ground water froze in the ground, so only areas like the quarry which has a running water source, and other water falls, formed in the early season.

Best ice forming conditions go just above freezing during the day and then drop to like -5 at night.

The Teth
The Teth

hmm

Postby climberwannabe » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:02 pm

yeah I'll try to get a pic. Are you gonna get the old wooden axes out this year Mr Mittens or what?
climberwannabe

Postby The Mitt » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:55 pm

I could be convinced to come out and have a swing or too. You know me I'm used to weilding the big wood :)

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby climberwannabe » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:18 pm

yeah being a Sgt you must mean a 3 wood right?? GO AIR FORCE
climberwannabe

Ice

Postby peter » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:00 pm

The last two years, Parker and I, or just little old me, have done an ice tour around New Years, to scope out the usual suspects. The problems in recent years have generally been a warm spell sometime between Xmas and early January, that wipes out all the lovely ice forming before Xmas. Two years ago I climbed on my birthday (yesterday), but the same spot had no ice two week later. Watch for the thaws, my son.

Peter (the former Ice Man)
peter

Return to Nova Scotia