Possibly moving to alberta

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Possibly moving to alberta

Postby Jayson » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:02 pm

Hello everyone i might be moving to alberta within 3-5 months and i was wondering to anyone who has been there where the best all around gym and climbing wall would be a gym with weight lifting area climbing walls and pool would be mint. Please post any information you have here thanks.

~Jayson
Jayson

Postby mathieu » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:25 pm

First question is obvious, where exactly in Alberta, I'm willing to bet the farm its Calgary. I doubt its Provost or Conklin, but you never know, that seems to be where i've spent most of my time since moving here. Gotta work I guess.

So i'll go with the Calgary assumption.

Climbing wall with pool: UofC (N.W.) but the climbing wall is subpar. Its basically a small room with concrete walls with holds chiseled in the concrete and a few holds thrown in. The bouldering wall is at the other side of the building and its in a hallway, not the greatest atmosphere.

There is also the facilities at Mount Royal College in the S.W. they have it all there, not 100% possitive about a pool but pretty sure. They have a decent weight gym and a good roped climbing gym, the bouldering cave however sucks, its the size of a closet, litteraly. If you fall off a route chances are you'll smoke your head on the glass wall (it looks like a giant fishtank).

The other climbing gym's in town are the Stronghold (Central N.)where I have my membership but that is mostly due to location. There is also the Calgary CLimbing Club (Central S), which is not bad. Both these gyms have good bouldering area's and seem to be where most climbers go. These 2 are definatly the best all around climbing gyms.

But hey why ask about gyms, you'll be here when rock season starts and there is tons of it in the Bow Valley (sport, trad and multi-pitch). If you want alpine (and you eventually will go to the dark side :twisted: ) the possibilities are endless.

EMail me when you get here and we could hook up and climb.

Mathieu
mathieu

Return to Nova Scotia