Nice bouldering area

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Nice bouldering area

Postby Stevo » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:39 am

I've been doing some bouldering at an interesting area near Timberlea. A notable landmark is a cluster of three cubic boulders which I dubbed the "Tumbling Dice" for obvious reasons although there may be another name for these. Nearby is a long low wall with currently 4 routes which is very sheltered and faces south west. There are many other possibilities in the surrounding area. The drawback is that the hike is enough to put off many, about 1.5 hours along a nice newly developed trail system. Climbers may have already been here but I have not seen any visible signs of scrubbing etc. although a makeshift wooden ladder had been erected up one nearby boulder, presumably by hunters.

(Hope this picture link works, my first experiment with PicTiger)
If anyone else is interested I can provide more info

Cheers
Steve
Stevo

Postby ChrisA » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:04 am

Hey All,

these boulders are located on the Bluff Wilderness trail system, which was developed using the Leave No Trace Principles of Outdor Ethics.

I have climbed around most of the boulders on all 4 loops of this trail, as i helped to construct it in the summer of 2004, and i know there is a lot of potential in loop 2, where the dice boulders are, and in loop 4, where there is a boulder larger than mega boulder.

The issue is most definately the hike in, and my major concern is the impact that would happen if people get stoked to clean routes, and dont care about the area they are hiking and climbing in.

I know most people in NS are considerate of sensitive areas, and the Bluff wilderness trail is one of them. There are some endangered species of plants located in the area, as well, it is home to a small population of mainland moose.

Here are the 7 principles of Leave No trace, they are also posted on the trailhead sign and all junction signs on the trail, if you do decided to climb on the Bluff Trail, please follow these principles, and leave the trail as you found it. Remember, know one is going to be coming behind you to clean up your mess, so its up to you.

1) Plan ahead and prepare
2)travel and camp on durable surfaces
3)dispose of waste properly
4)leave what you find
5)minimize campfire impacts
6)respect wildlife
7)be considerate of other visitors

if you have any questions or an interest in Leave no Trace, there is info available at http://www.leavenotrace.ca or feel free to e-mail me at chris_adshade at hotmail dot com.
Cheers,
-Chris
ChrisA

Postby tracstarr » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:05 am

yep, those boulders have a few lines and a super nice line that goes at about v7/8. you can see it on my site http://www.tracstarr.com near the bottom of the front page. they are also located on the google earth feed with a few other potential areas shown. Lots of possibility, but the walk is killer. With a canoe you can access this area a lot faster. probably only 15 min canoe and 15 min walk. (depending on where you can put the canoe in)
tracstarr

Return to Nova Scotia