Update from D-Town

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Update from D-Town

Postby dquinn » Wed May 31, 2006 10:02 pm

Here's my story: Yesterday I was walking through a new trail in a Dartmouth park when I came across something spectacular. It was late in the evening and the sun was fading. After spotting several man sized boulders I was fantasizing about something bigger. In the dark, I saw a dark shape about 50 feet off the trail. As I got closer I realized it was an enormous bus sized boulder. After my orgasm was subsided, I walked over the magnificent specimen to check it out.

She is roughly the size of a handicap bus. The boulder contains a steep overhanging prow that tops out over a bulge. I shed a tear of joy as I examined her virgin lines. The prow is about 10 feet tall, agressively overhanging and it looks absolutely amazing.

Score another one for the Darkside!

The tick list so far:

Space Rock: 4 lines + variations on a slate boulder
The house of ill repute: 8 fun problems on a long metamorphic wall
The nut: 1 solid line, “bust a nut”
New boulder: undeveloped, best potential find yet

I have scoped at least 3 other areas that are off limits to development during the summer due to bugs, but they look solid. I didn’t work on them because at the time I had found them, the house of ill repute was still undeveloped.

Unfortunately, since I am red pointing V5, I am developing at V3 and lower, but this new boulder looks killer.
dquinn

Postby seanT » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:51 am

:o :o WORD!!!!!! :o :o
NOt to mention the 50+ new problems that went up at Skull Rock this winter!! D-Side baby yeah!!!!!!
seanT

Postby ben smith » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:07 pm

DAve when are you free dude I need to check this flowers out- or just give me directions or something. sounds bad ass.
ben smith

Postby The Teth » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:57 pm

Where is this boulder? As a resident of the Dark Side, I want to know! It would be nice to have something close.

The Teth
The Teth

Postby dquinn » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:06 pm

I am going to check it out again tonight, I will post directions and photos later tonight... gotta be the first one on it :P
dquinn

Postby dquinn » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:35 pm

Ok, here's the deal. I dub this rock "The Whale", because it resembles a whale surfacing from the ocean from the right angle.

Directions: The rock is found on the new section of the transcanada trail in shubie park. It is about 2km into the trail, so I strongly reccomend a bicycle. The trail is brand new and well groomed. The easiest way to get there (if you don't have a boat on the lake) is to go to the shubie park campground enterance. Head down towards the beach. Once you are at the beach, head across the bridge to the left and then turn right and follow the trail signs until you are on the trans canada trail. Now it is just a matter of staying on the trail for about 1.5k untill you see a boulder 50 feet off the trail on the high side. You really can't miss it.

The Whale:

Problems:

"The whale's nose"

The problem starts on the low mini jug and the hollow (but solid) rail.

"Soft underbelly"

A tough, but fun traverse that starts on the mini rail underneath the ferns. Traverse left along the lip. You can use the boxed crack if nessacary - much harder without. Top out straight up the corner.

Kinda looks like the whale is smiling in that photo eh? The bugs aren't too bad because the park is still in the city; however, bring bug spray and don't go at dusk (like I did).
dquinn

Postby talya » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:34 am

its looking pretty freekin sweet there bud.
wahooooo
talya

Postby E.Sko » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:03 pm

Stoked that looks nice and irregular. Good find :)
Who wants to leave buttprints in the sands of time?
E.Sko

Return to Nova Scotia