Where is Mike?

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Where is Mike?

Postby szymiec » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:42 pm

Anyone heard from Mike lately? Is he in Nigeria? I sure hope not!
C
szymiec

Postby mike » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:35 am

Nope. Dartmouth. Just got home last night from sunny and thunder and lightening ridden Atikokan, Ontario.
It's a few hours N of Thunderbay. I do know now why they call it THUNDER Bay... our cabin almost got roasted by a big lightening. Knocked me right off the pearch I was sitting on by the window.

Mike
mike

Mike

Postby peter » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:00 pm

Hey Mike. Don't knock the north, eh? Thats me mudder's country, wah? I try to go to Lake Nipigon every year, but don't always make it.

The thunder storms are awesome, as are the Northern Lights. We set up lawnchairs to watch them approach (both/either). We just try not to be out on a 70 km by 40 km lake, which we call our bathtub, when they hit.

When you departing for far Eastern Europe? I seem to have landed a partner for the Alps, via a UK climbing site. A Canadian, to boot, eh?

Pete
peter

Postby martha » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:23 pm

mike wrote:Nope. Dartmouth. Just got home last night from sunny and thunder and lightening ridden Atikokan, Ontario.
It's a few hours N of Thunderbay. I do know now why they call it THUNDER Bay... our cabin almost got roasted by a big lightening. Knocked me right off the pearch I was sitting on by the window.

Mike

Hey Mike, I have to go to THunder Bay AND Atikokan this summer. as well as the Sault, Sudbury and various other locations in the NOrthern ONtario. Climbing/camping suggestions for us? We are hoping to do Thunder Bay/ Lions head Via manitoulin island etc.... anything else?

Cheers.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Northern Ontario

Postby peter » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:28 am

Ma petite pêche fraiche:

Once you leave the sport climbers' mecca of the Bruce Peninsula, and get on the ferry to Manitoulan Island, you are leaving the most developed rock climbing areas in Ontario. While in the south, be alert to access issues and permit systems for provincial park lands. MEC Toronto has the guidebooks you will need.

Above Lakes Huron and Superior, there are dramatic cliffs, but it is mainly volcanic/basalt-like stuff, tremendous for ice climbing but less so for rock; that which is more solid is not very well developed. I would go canoeing, instead! It is glorious country.

As you may know, Shaun Parent is the wise old man of this area of Canada. Drop him a line at North of Superior Climbing Company, above The Soo. http://www.northofsuperiorclimbing.com

Consider climbing at Montreal River Harbour, an hour above the Soo, as it is probably the best developed area in central Ontario. Parent published a guidebook for Ranwick Rock and Keetes Bluff a couple of years ago. I haven't climbed there.

At Thunder Bay, there is Scenic Bluffs, Climbers Cliffs, Pass Lake, Silver Harbor, Squaw Bay, Mt. Helen, and Kama Bay. See, "Thunder Bay Rock Climbing Guide", Alex Joseph, 2003. There are a good number of climbers in this area, especially out of Lakehead University's "Outdoor Recreation" degree program, so the routes should be in better condition. I haven't climbed there since 1999, and that was at Lake Helen, above Nipigon.

There used to be a climbing gym in Thunder Bay, but I don't know its status at present. Might be a source of ideas.

Enjoy the Great White North, Eh? If there was a God, this would be his country. Mind the bugs, though ...
peter

Return to Nova Scotia