Bus Route Climbing

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Bus Route Climbing

Postby patzer » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:47 am

I was wondering about the bouldering spots within town or on the bus...

I've heard of something called the Flagpole Arete at York Redoubt? Where is this? Is there other stuff there?

I've also heard of some things at Point Pleasant... Some tower traversing or something?

And there is Kidston Lake, Herring Cove and some dquinn boulders if you like long bus rides, but anything else?

Someday I'll buy a car...

Jason
patzer

Postby dcentral » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:13 am

I've biked from downtown to crystal cresent.

It's a really long bike ride with a bouldering pad on your back. Just leave early in the morning and you should have plent of time to get out there.
dcentral

Postby dquinn » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:56 pm

Damn, there's nothing worth even driving out there for - except for the scenery.
dquinn

Postby martha » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:37 am

dquinn wrote:Damn, there's nothing worth even driving out there for - except for the scenery.

uh... I've seen the 'scenery' at Crystal Cresent... and I've had nightmares about it.....

uggg!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby talya » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:50 pm

York Redoubt has basicaly only one bolder that i've seen, so thats prob the one with your arete.... you take the 15 all the way to the last stop. and its York Redoubt, when you get inside the parking lot turn right and its about a 1 or 2 min walk to the bolder. theres about 5 lines on it.

~cheers
talya

Postby jnnfr » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:38 pm

If you walk a little bit farther down from that boulder, there is a short wall right on the water with probably 3 lines? on it. The one on the right is fun. And if you've got a bike, it's not a bad bike ride out there!
jnnfr

Postby patzer » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:00 pm

Yeah...

My bike kinda had a run in with an oncoming car, and its remains were sacrificed in the name of shenanigans.

I don't really have money to buy a new one right now, but I'll see what kind of transportation I can find.

Thanks for the replies!
patzer

Postby The Teth » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:19 am

2 Km past York Redoubt is the well established bouldering are of Haring Cove. Unfortunately the guide is out of print and only location information was included in the Halifax Bouldering Guide. Anyway, about 1.4 Km past York Redoubt there is a pull-off at the shore. Follow the path along the shore for another 0.6 Km to the highest density of bouldering problems in this area. There are four bouldering walls down near the water facing the sea just before the large granite hill with the pile of boulders at its top.

The first of these is the El Crimp wall which has a nice V5 and some easier stuff, then there is a wall with a bunch of easier climbs, then the Slimy Bottom Wall which has excellent crimpy problems, and finally the Dyno Flatulence wall.

There is another wall a little farther on, which I have not located yet, and some boulders before you get to the walls. There were also some problems on boulders below the parking area, but I find this area near the parking lot to be full of litter and not that pleasant to climb in.

If you do not want to walk up that big hill to get back to York Redoubt you can go in the other direction and catch the bus in Haring Cove.

As far as other options for people without transport, I suggest you check out Monday Night Bouldering with Sean T. There is always someone to give you a ride, and they go to all the neat spots you might not get to normally.

The Teth
The Teth

Postby ben smith » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:47 pm

also I have a car now usually form 7 in the morning to 3 if any one is stoked to climb
ben smith

Return to Nova Scotia