hey curious about halifax camping...

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

hey curious about halifax camping...

Postby alrong » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:55 pm

hey folks more questions from the south...

i'm going to be showing up friday night and was trying to figure out where me and my crew should meet and sleep, we have 6 peeps 3 cars, last year my i crashed at crystal cresent beach in my car, and got chewed up by the bugs (no screens), so it would be great if we could actually pitch tents, some of us might be arriving kinda late (it's a 12 hr drive for some of us) and hiking in to set up a tent seems it might be a bit difficult unless it was a short (15 min ma walk) does anyone have a suggestion for us vagrants about the best place to doss on fri night, where we will get harassed the least by the authoities, crooks, and drunken youths?
alrong

Postby martha » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:09 pm

We always camped at Polly's cove. just past Dover.

It is a great spot but mega buggy. is that still okay with the locals?

cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby alrong » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:28 pm

where in pollys cove? not in the village or in the tourist site eh? in the LOC? if so should i just park in the spot recomended by the guidebook?
alrong

Postby Nate » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:19 pm

I'm pretty sure Polly's cove is crown land. Doesn't matter what the locals say in that case, camp all you'd like.

Nate
Nate

Postby alrong » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:58 pm

Nate wrote:I'm pretty sure Polly's cove is crown land. Doesn't matter what the locals say in that case, camp all you'd like.

Nate

so your saying that i can walk past the lighthouse and just camp on those rocks??? wow I'm surprised that would never be alright in the US...

plus I'm not to sure i want to jepordize any access that way by toying with the locals
alrong

Postby dquinn » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:26 pm

Lighthouse? You might be thinking of Peggy's cove - not Polly's cove. Did you plan on camping underneath the lighthouse with all the tourists? That wouldn't fly, even in Canada. Polly's cove is pretty secluded, I'm sure nobody would mind. There would be nobody within a few kilometers of Polly's cove after dark anways.

dquinn

Postby dquinn » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:29 pm

Here is a picture of Polly's cove, with a nice view of dover island in the background:

dquinn

Postby Zamboni » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:05 pm

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.49 ... 2&t=k&om=1

Park on the pull out after the ball field on the Hwy #333. walk to the end of the old dirt road to the ocean. About 10min walk tops..

Conan.
Zamboni

Postby martha » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:08 pm

If you don't get to the pull out before Dark... it can be tricky to find. Lock your car though and don't leave stuff on the seat... there have been some thefts there in the past.

The trails are cool and the view is great at sunrise.

oh.. and watch where you put your tent... the is a pesky tide in Nova Scotia.... heheh.

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:10 pm

when you come through the town of West Dover, the road takes a 90 degree turn to the right, then past a ball field and turn to the left. Follow twisty road for about 2min to pullout on the LEFT side of the road. You know you've found the right place when you see a dirt road leading to the ocean. At the end of the dirt road there is an old lighthouse concrete foundation. If you get as far as Peggy's Cove and the Swiss Air memorial site you have gone too far.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby alrong » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:10 pm

svweet folks looks pretty....

we are coming in in the dark,(some peeps will be drivin up from NH on fri) but i'll defenitely try pollys, and not peggys... wasn't interested in dealing with that touron trap anyways...

thanks much and we'll see you sat sharp!!! -d
alrong

Postby The Teth » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:48 am

Maybe this will help a little. Here is a map of the Land Of Confusion bouldering area between Peggy’s Cove on the left (that area just to the right of the North Arrow) and West Dover on the right.

http://members.tripod.com/novascotiaclimb/map_loc.html

You would be looking for the pull off spot marked with a “P” between areas 9 and 10. (Look for West Dover, sharp turn, baseball field, straightaway - little jag in the road - straightaway - park on outside of next turn.) You would then follow the dirt road there (blocked by boulders to stop vehicles and with just a path through the bushes for about 15 feet, before it opens up into a road). At the end of this road there are a couple of trails which go left (if you are facing the sea). You will only have to go a short way to find a nice flat camping spot with an awesome view. You do not need to go as far as the actual Polly’s Cover to camp, although it is worth taking a look at. The best camp site overlooks that larger island at the bottom of the map. (Dover island is a ways past the bottom right corner of the map and thus is not shown.)

Teth the Cartographer.
The Teth

Return to Nova Scotia