Boulderfest Beer

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Boulderfest Beer

Postby martha » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:33 am

Hi all,

We couldn't get a keg donated this year.

in years past when this has happened, there have been groups of climbers who have pulled together some cash to help the cause. (Thank you Stoners)

I am willing to put some cash in to help out this year.

Anyone else? I need to know ASAP so that I can order the goods!

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Ian_the_Barbarian » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:56 am

I'll drop 20 for sure. I'm canoeing over and as such am not officially with boulderfest, but beer is beer is beer. I think pumphouse kegs are only like 120 bucks anyways, plus they deliver wherever you want (like halifax maybe?)
le barbarien
Ian_the_Barbarian

Postby martha » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:46 am

Ian_the_Barbarian wrote:I'll drop 20 for sure.

Thanks!!! I will collect on the island if I actually get enough people to pitch in. my 20$ or 30$ plus Ians... we need a bit more though!! Help us out people!!!

Ian_the_Barbarian wrote:I'm canoeing over and as such am not officially with boulderfest

Speaking on behalf of CNS as a director, I feel it is up to us to discourage this practice. There are currently 64 people registered and we limit it at 70 so that there isn't too much environmental impact on the island at any given time.

Dover Island is private property and we are very lucky to be able to use it. Thus we want to take good care of it.

In years past the entire list of people registerd haven't shown up, and so the people that paddle over don't usually put us over the limit in any case. This however may not stand true this year. It is hard to say.

FYI, I'm not aiming this at you by the way Ian, Please don't take offense.. but you brought it up so I am taking this opportunity to speak for CNS to the many that paddle over every year during this event.

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Ian_the_Barbarian » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:37 pm

so yeah, what if its dog$hit weather? Does it get pushed back a week or 2? Let me know before I commit to this keg thing, cause if its going to suck, I have some other important things to take care of (my thesis)

The reason I'm paddling is cause I didn't know what my situation was going to be around this time. Finishing my master's has been hectic and my finish date has changed about 50 times in the last 2 months. I figured, if I paddled I wouldn't be stopping somebody else from getting a spot on the boat if I couldn't go. Really, 70 people on a kilometer-long island, in terms of environmental imact, is a lot. A few canoeloads extra isn't going to make a difference at all. I'll speak for everybody coming with me to say that our impact is going to be nil on the island other than some flattened juniper bushes from under my tent and maybe a poo or two. As long as everybody cleans up and doesn't leave sixpack holders for the sea-turtles to eat, 70 people and 90 people will produce essentially the same impact.
le barbarien
Ian_the_Barbarian

Postby tracstarr » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:58 pm

That's not quite true. In the last 2 years I've been going to dover island you can see the impact climbers have left. The highly tented areas are permently flat and near death for one. The trails are definatly permenant now (not just climbers use them i know, but are definatly account for at least 80% of the traffic or more). There is one area where the side of the hill can no longer keep from falling apart as there is no vegitation left holding the ground in place due to the trail systems.

On an average nice weekend during the summer you can expect to see nearly 20 climbers there. This place has high traffic compared to previous years.

As far as "a few canoe loads extra" - yes, it'll make a difference. We have a limit for a reason, if "a few canoe loads extra" wasn't an issue then we would have higher numbers or no limit at all. CNS is trying to limit the impact and unfortunatly, with the high regular traffic the island now sees, 70 is probably too high now.

There are still spots open, so why not sign up? We are very lucky to be allowed on the island in the first place. It's not public land, so we could be refused access all together. We want to keep access. As a climber I would hope that you respect the concerns CNS has on impact and possible future access to the island.
tracstarr

Postby Ian_the_Barbarian » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:02 pm

Then why have boulderfest in the first place?
le barbarien
Ian_the_Barbarian

Postby pulldown » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:34 pm

I just wanted to comment on people paddling over.

Norm Stone allows us to park our vehicles on his property and departs from his place. Because of the volume of people this has a cost associated with it and that is included with the price of admission.

As an organizer it complicates things. When i purchase the food, i purchase it based on the number of participants that have paid for the meal. I realy don't want to check each persons name off a list to ensure that the people who have paid get fed.

Boulderfest is intended to be an all inclusive bouldering festival. We only do this festival one weekend a year. I should not be too much to ask people not to crash the party.

I can't tell anyone that they can't come on the island on their own during Boulderfest. Please just consider the message this will send to participants who work hard for thier money and have paid to attend.

Thanks
Todd
pulldown

Postby martha » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:40 pm

Well, Boulderfest is a CNS event, and here are some things that we do:

-Organize and sponsor climbing competitions and other events
-Support new route and climbing site development
-Protect/negotiate access to climbing sites
-Organize environmental clean-ups of climbing sites and trail maintenance

It is the fees for CNS memberships that help pay for these types of things (access, route developement, sponsorships) and without us, we would not have climbing access to places like Black Brook in Cape Breton, Terrance Bay bouldering or Main Face. The last two of which you have to be a CNS member or with a CNS member or at a CNS event to access.

Dover is currently 'open for business' shall we say, and to keep it that way, we need to respect the locals and most importantly, the land owners.

There are a list of things in the Guidebook that are special about Dover. .. here are some of them..
- it has 13 known rare and endangered species including one of othe highest concentraions of the Slender Blue Flag Iris
-It is suspected to have nearly 50 rare and endangered species
-it has many nesting birds and other animals

Upsetting this delicate ecosystem is not something that we want to do, so keeping event numbers limited helps this. As well as staying on current trails and pitching tents on rocky areas where possible or on areas that are already used.

The owners could decide to limit access to CNS members only or to actually regulate Boulderfest and perform a head count or worse, not let us there at all.

Fred and I were fortunate enough to be able to have our wedding there. We asked the locals and it was okay with them. We respected the wishes of everyone and kept our guest list small (under 50).

It would be a sin to lose this precious area.

It all comes down to respect.

martha

Postby alrong » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:04 pm

hey enough of telling off idgits who'd be better off in texas in accordance with thier envrio beliefs....

back to important topics like beer....

I will defentily kick at least 20...

i'll be the dude with the big blue astro climbing van, dark glasses and spots (yes i have spots... and it makes me special so piss off(psorasis
:twisted: )...

my croo, 6 strong are filled with drunks and although they are not sharp enough to be checking this board and never return my calls, most likely they will be keen on kicking in too...

we like IPA and Bitter... and i was impressed with that there granite brewery in hali... but don't mind me... i'm forigen and locals rule eh!!!
alrong

Postby dcentral » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:30 pm

We should really do away with the Cape Clear sticky and have a

"Who's getting the beer?!!??" Sticky and
"Debate the environemental impact on dover" sticky cause these conversations come up every year. Much more then questions about CC :)
dcentral

Postby dquinn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:56 pm

I can chuck in for a keg. But how is this going to work? I assume only people who contribute financially will be allowed to drink? Will there be bracelets? I've been to keg parties where a few people pay, everybody drinks and nobody gets their share.
dquinn

Postby dquinn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:56 pm

The honor system never works.
dquinn

Postby alrong » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:29 pm

someone should just bring some stupid and unique hand stamp... like in a club...
alrong

Postby martha » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:50 pm

the keg is for everyone to enjoy. the idea of a few people kicking in some dough is so that everyone can enjoy the beer.

if it was just going to be for those who help pay for it... you may as well BYOB... right?

everyone drinks. a few pay. it is a community thing right? the more people who chip in.. the less each person needs to put up!

Cara

martha

Postby dquinn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:13 pm

So rather than paying for the beer that I drink, I can pay for my own beer plus who ever else wants to drink on my tab? I hate to point this out, but this is still BYOB. I would still be bringing my own beer, plus I would be bringing some for everyone else too. Thanks, but I'll just drink from the keg you guys pay for. I'm sure you won't mind; it's a community thing.

Ever see the video of the Rolling Stones concert at Altamont Speedway? While some hippie ideas are appealing, they rarely work out in real life.
dquinn

Postby dquinn » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:21 pm

The purpose of a keg is to have cheap beer in a fun format. The beer is located in a central location and it contributes to the party atmosphere. Instead of hoarding your booze in a dark tent, you get it from a keg. Much more social and fun. Plus it always motivates a few people to drink to excess which is always fun. It’s not a party without a few beer pigs. And what about keg stands? Helps work the balance and core muscles.

It is really not that much to ask that people who want in on the keg throw down 5 or 10 dollars each. Staples has florescent paper bracelets that would work fine. There will still be some free drinks to be had, but this way people get their fair share and nobody abuses the system.
dquinn

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:24 am

dquinn wrote:So rather than paying for the beer that I drink, I can pay for my own beer plus who ever else wants to drink on my tab?

I think you pretty much got it there. Some people like to buy their buds a brew when they head to the pub, or perhaps you offer one to a friend when they pop by your place. Many people enjoy sharing drinks with people....obviously you think this is a problem.

If you don't have the cash, then you don't have the cash. Other people like to share so why the attitude?

Hope eveyone has a blast at boulderfest this year, its been quite a long time since I've been able to participate, but its a great event.

Rebecca
granite_grrl

Postby mike » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:27 am

Rather than appear like a cheap assed dickhead- why don't you estimate how much beer you're going to drink, divide it by the total volume/price of the keg and throw in what you yourself are going to consume??? tThen you arn't out on a limb feeling like your getting used by all the freeloaders that are drinking with you.

Cheap people suck!
Mike
mike

Postby martha » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:29 am

Hi all,

so I am confirming these $$ for the keg...

Cara - 20$
Ian the barbarian (gawd love this name) - 20$
Alrong-20$
Alrongs friends?- 20$
David Blanchard - 10$

okay.. we've got 90$ here. anyone else?? BEN SMITH I'm talking to you!!! hahaha.

Cara

martha

Postby martha » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:38 am

dquinn wrote: Thanks, but I'll just drink from the keg you guys pay for. I'm sure you won't mind; it's a community thing.

No prob! That is what it's for!

Aren't we just a bunch of happy Utilitarians?

naw.. just a bunch of climbing beer hounds... never mind!

martha

Postby alrong » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:05 am

well dq... i hope that bad karma doesn't distract you over the sharp barncle encrusted talus.... do what you will, i agree there are tons of freeloader punks out there, but it's your choice whether you want to be one of those or to be the big man and kick down... think of it beyond the bloody beer... martha here has organized a kickass party with a huge croo, tons of spots for yer bad karma ass, the money is part of a collective effort...

this is like me refusing to pay taxes (taxes which made me cry a few months ago) just because i don't like where my money is spent and believe me living in the US under this mofu AH it's very easy to be preturbed.... be a good citizen and help out... (or at least be smart and restrain yer hole lest everyone think yer a punter anouncing his freeloading habits, which i think you already did..... punter)

:wink: :lol:
alrong

Postby alrong » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:06 am

hey martha,... like yer MS quote but i gots a question.... beer? is essential? 8)
alrong

Postby Ian_the_Barbarian » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:26 am

pulldown wrote:I just wanted to comment on people paddling over.

Norm Stone allows us to park our vehicles on his property and departs from his place. Because of the volume of people this has a cost associated with it and that is included with the price of admission.

As an organizer it complicates things. When i purchase the food, i purchase it based on the number of participants that have paid for the meal. I realy don't want to check each persons name off a list to ensure that the people who have paid get fed.

Boulderfest is intended to be an all inclusive bouldering festival. We only do this festival one weekend a year. I should not be too much to ask people not to crash the party.

I can't tell anyone that they can't come on the island on their own during Boulderfest. Please just consider the message this will send to participants who work hard for thier money and have paid to attend.

Thanks
Todd

I've paddled over twice so far, both times I paid the dude to park myself and last year at boulderfest I didn't touch so much as a hotdog from the boulderfest crew...simply brought my own food. How does that constitute crashing anything?
le barbarien
Ian_the_Barbarian

Postby martha » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:31 am

alrong wrote:hey martha,... like yer MS quote but i gots a question.... beer? is essential? 8)

umm.. yes?

martha

Postby martha » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:40 am

Ian_the_Barbarian wrote:
I've paddled over twice so far, both times I paid the dude to park myself and last year at boulderfest I didn't touch so much as a hotdog from the boulderfest crew...simply brought my own food. How does that constitute crashing anything?

I know you paid to park and didn't touch any food/beer. That isn't the issue. I think that the point we are trying to make is this...

If you just want to go to climb on Dover.. why go the busiest weekend of the year? why not go on another weekend when it won't be so busy? If you want to go because it is Boulderfest and it is a great time.. then pay for boulderfest and be a part of it. Otherwise, as someone put it to me last night... it is like watching a summer concert from outside the fence.
I know many people who save money to go to this event. Who rent cars, crash pads and take time off work specifically for this. they register as soon as it opens up to ensure that one of the 70 spots is theirs. I don't think it is respectful to them to just paddle over.

On top of this, having organized boulderfest last year, and been a big part of the organization the year before that and lending a hand where I can this year... i can tell you it is a lot of work. It is disrespectful to the people organizing.. volunteering hours of their time to make this happen for the people who come and pay to come.

Though boulderfest doesn't turn much of a profit, the profit it does turn goes to access, sponsorship and route developement... don't you think your 40$ is worth that?

This is beside the environmental concerns of course.

anyways, Ian, I'm not picking on you in particular... I'm just venting my opinion on the issue for all to see.

see you saturday!

Cheers.

martha

Postby Ian_the_Barbarian » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:48 am

flowers yeah though, beer from a keg is awesome and I will definitely be pitching in a 20 for it.

Might as well...if its going to rain, we'll need something to pass the time I guess.

Make sure you get one of the big 30L kegs though, not the sissy 20L one...20L just aint enough.
le barbarien
Ian_the_Barbarian

Postby Fred » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:37 am

it's pretty simple in my opinion... paddling over is lame.

Booourns to paddlers. There are alot of people putting time into organizing this event. Cheers to them.
Last edited by Fred on Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Fred » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:38 am

If someone wants to buy a Welsford Guidbook for $20 I will donate it to the Keg on their behalf.

Also, if anyone else wants to buy a book this weekend please let me know and I will bring extra copies up. I found 5 more stashed in my closet.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Ian_the_Barbarian » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:50 am

Ok, I'm dropping the argument about paddling. You have points, I don't agree....whatever.

Cara - Jeff Hummer said he'd pitch in 20 for the keg too. Is there enough now? I think you need to get them from St. John too now, I'm not sure if you can still pick them up in moncton at the pumphouse. Have you called around?
le barbarien
Ian_the_Barbarian

Postby Ian_the_Barbarian » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:51 am

There might be another place to get a keg too....the pumphouse is the only one I know of that has em cheap and portable
le barbarien
Ian_the_Barbarian

Next

Return to Nova Scotia