The all abou Dquinn Thread

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Who thinks dquinn should SHUT IT!

Poll ended at Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:04 am

Dquinn can yap away!
33%
Dquinn must keep all threads to a 2 line max.
67%

Total votes : 15

The all abou Dquinn Thread

Postby Zamboni » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:04 am

Hey guys.. Just a thought, no offense
Zamboni

Postby The Teth » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:39 pm

I think Dquinn can talk all he wants if he agrees to organize Boulderfest 2007. PM me your email address Dquinn and I will send you a copy of the boulderfest manual. Also, remember to hit Olands up for sponsorship in January so we can get a FREE keg in 2007. They said they should be able to give us free beer if we asked for it in January when they are budgeting their sponsorships.

Teth
The Teth

Postby dquinn » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:17 pm

Firstly, Conan, (content moderated).

Second, I would be happy to help with boulderfest 2007, but should this really be a one man show? It seems like there should be a boulderfest steering commitee or some such organization. I'll head the comittee if you like, but I would also be happy if you just put me on beer duty.
dquinn

Postby dquinn » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:25 pm

I think this commitee ought to have a few positions:

Chair person - Keeps track of the overall picture and makes sure everything is coming together, on time.
Treasurer - Best to have the money all in one place
Fundraisers - beating down the doors for donations (such as the keg and prizes)
Event coordinators - In charge of choosing food, date & rain date
Logistics - Organizing the man power (e.g. recruiting volunteers if there are any, or just organizing the commitee itself) to get all the people and food to the island.

I need 4 other volunteers to make this happen.
dquinn

Postby dquinn » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:30 pm

(content moderated)

warning number 2
dquinn

Postby The Mitt » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:32 pm

As an ex-organizer for CNS events I say good luck finding that many people to do allot of hard work. You will always get people to say they will help out but its always the same one or 2 who do all of the work. I also would imagine that after alienating those who did all the work this year you should have an interesting next year.

Mitt
after looking at the numbers maybe this was a valid thread. Maybe a coke and a smile would have been better for the muffin man.
The Mitt

Postby Fred » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:34 pm

uh... I think that's called CNS. But good thinking though.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dquinn » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:37 pm

Fred wrote:uh... I think that's called CNS. But good thinking though.

Well if CNS has this on lock, why are they suggesting I should tackle it single handedly?
dquinn

Postby The Mitt » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:49 pm

CNS is a volunteer organization, comprised mainly of ..... VOLUNTEERS... maybe you could volunteer to organize it through CNS or at least help out. Giving some of the really hard working people a break or a chance to organize something else.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby dquinn » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:49 pm

Bottom line: I seem to have created quite the flowers storm with my three suggestions. Everything I have said boils down to this:

1) I think there should be a rain date.
2) It would be nice if more people helped fund the beer.
3) 30L of beer is not nearly enough for 70 people.

You asked for input and I gave it. Two choices:

1) Take it
2) Leave it

You don't have to agree with me, but don't be an ass just because you don't like what I said. Instead of responding with insults, and personal attacks, say your piece, share your opinion, and engage in the debate. I gave reasons for each of my suggestions. I feel the reasons were valid. If you don’t like it – respectfully disagree.

If you think I am insulting the organizers because I have a few ideas on how things could be done differently - I'm not! Kudos to everybody who worked hard to make this event come together. I know you worked hard, and I appreciate it. If you didn’t make it happen, it most likely wouldn’t have.

You guys started threads asking for input and I made some unpopular statements so I get bitched out. Real mature.
dquinn

Postby dquinn » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:52 pm

The Mitt wrote:CNS is a volunteer organization, comprised mainly of ..... VOLUNTEERS... maybe you could volunteer to organize it through CNS or at least help out. Giving some of the really hard working people a break or a chance to organize something else.

Mitt

Happy to. I sent Teth my email - let me know how I can help out. Even if I don't organize it, I could take up one of the other positions on my proposed comittee and take some of the strain off of the "the same one or 2 who do all of the work" and make their job easier. I encourage others to do the same.
dquinn

Postby The Teth » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:49 am

Don’t mind The Mitt. Being an ass is just a hobby which keeps him from getting bored when he is not climbing. We all need a hobby.

I sent you the manual. I was not suggesting that you do everything yourself. Only suggesting that you take on the position of Chair who in practice also does logistics. Basically you find people to do all the other jobs and then check in once in a while to make sure those jobs are being done. It is all about delegating. You would also be the guy people would contact when they identified a potential problem.

I had the “Chair” position in 2004, Cara in 2005, and Ben in 2006. Johnathan Graham and Todd Foster were the main organizers in the early years. Ghislain Losier handled sponsorships (Fundraisers) for several years. There have also been numerous people handling other roles over the years.

- For groceries we usually have one person in charge with an assistant to help.
- The Web guy has to do advertizing, provide info, collect money electronically, etc.
- Someone has to pick up the Keg. It is usually heaver than it was this year. (I have done that job twice.)
- Someone has to pick up the BBQ.
- Someone has to handle check-in at the dock.
- Someone has to get materials and setup a latrine.
- Volunteers are needed to cook, and to clean up on Sunday.

The Web guy and the person at the dock handle most of the money. They usually operate in conjunction with the CNS treasurer, or someone else on the CNS board who has signing authority.

So that is roughly how it works. Once Norm has agreed on the date you set, everything else is icing.

Teth
The Teth

Postby Jen » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:55 am

Don't bother asking for people's thoughts and opinions if you're going to jump down their throat for sharing them. And Dave even agreed with the 'cool' opinion! Come on now, play nice!
Jen

Postby Nate » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:29 am

I don't think it is daves ideas that rub people the wrong way it's the abbrasive way he makes them tends to get on your nerves. 40 people had a pretty good time in the rain this weekend, we had a good crew and a good time, and then someone who wasn't even there compares it to an evening in the basement.....theres really no need for that kind of thing.

Nate
Nate

Postby The Teth » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:30 am

OK, I got an angry PM, so I mush apologize to The Mit for calling him an “ass”. Sorry Sean. I was trying to be tung and cheek, but maybe I went with the wrong cheek. I thought dquinn was referring to your post when he said “don’t be an ass”, since you were giving him a hard time.

To be more politically correct The Mitt gives people a hard time on this board to keep himself from getting bored when he is not climbing. He does it to me and to CNS all the time. I must humbly admit however that his comments, although harsh, are often constructive and useful (once you get over the sting). So no, The Mitt is not and “ass”.....some times a pain in the ass, but not actually an ass himself.

My humble apologies for such a misrepresentation.

The Teth
The Teth

Mitt

Postby peter » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:44 am

The Teth wrote:Sorry Sean. I was trying to be tung and cheek

I think you mean dung in cheek, don't you?

Peter "flame warrior" McVey (retired)
peter

Postby visitor » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:46 am

I don't think it is daves ideas that rub people the wrong way it's the abbrasive way he makes them tends to get on your nerves. 40 people had a pretty good time in the rain this weekend, we had a good crew and a good time, and then someone who wasn't even there compares it to an evening in the basement.....theres really no need for that kind of thing.

Nate

Agreed Nate. I think the crew that showed up had a pretty good time, all things considered.
visitor

Postby dquinn » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:26 pm

Nate wrote:I don't think it is daves ideas that rub people the wrong way it's the abbrasive way he makes them tends to get on your nerves. 40 people had a pretty good time in the rain this weekend, we had a good crew and a good time, and then someone who wasn't even there compares it to an evening in the basement.....theres really no need for that kind of thing.

Nate

Thanks Nate - point taken. I won't try to deny this. I know myself that I have a tendency to be overly blunt at times. Any examples that I used that were abrasive were for dramatic effect or for lack of proper insight into the way my words would be perceived by others. Of course half the time I am just joking around. For example, I don't really want Conan to (content moderated) :) Either way, in all seriousness, I'm sure it was a good time. I know I would have had a great time if I went. Hell, I had my gear packed, but it worked out that my buddies were having a party that night so it swayed my decision the other way.

A good crowd, lots of food, and a keg full of beer makes any time enjoyable. I only poked fun at it to strengthen my argument for a rain date. Sorry guys, I’ll try to tone down my posts in the future, but it wouldn’t be fun without a little drama.
dquinn

Postby Zamboni » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:27 am

Are you still talking Dquinn.. Holly flowers Batman!

:twisted:
Zamboni

Return to Nova Scotia