Dover questions

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Dover questions

Postby Pierre » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:25 pm

Hey Folks

I'm thinkg of making a trip to dover soon ( July 15/16)... but have a few question.

Is there any problems with camping on the Island?

Is Dover a protected area? If so are there rules that need to be followed while visiting the island? ( ie. are dogs allowed?)

Is there a good bouldering guide for the area? If so where can I get my hands on one?

Thanks in advance for any information

Pierre
Pierre

Postby ben smith » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:20 pm

yo pierre- camping is allowed- try to camp on the beach if possible- limits impact on the island. dogs are allowed however there is wildlife on the island ( a doe last weekend) which may or may not still be on the island so if you can keep a bit off an eye on your dog that would be cool, clean up any flowers (yours also) and toss it in the ocean. other things to keep in mind- try to stick to trails or rock, clean up garbage (tape wads and cigarette butts tend to annoy people most) and respect the island in general.
ghislain losier has a mini guide to the island in pdf at ns.bouldering.ca and a more complete version published which is available at MEC in downtown halifax and includes the rest of the bouldering areas around halifax. I might be on the island that weekend anyway and I can show you around if thats the case.
ben smith

Postby Zamboni » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:44 pm

Ben Smith,

AKA bum Ben, AKA king Ben.

CNS Chairperson, & guide to bouldering in Nova Scotia ( but only if you have a free ride to where ever he wants to climb, and or food )

CB.
Zamboni

Postby Pierre » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:08 pm

I gathered up a small group of climbers wanting to experience Dover and one of them has a dog and I just wanted to make sure things we're cool in bringing a dog with us. I don't want to piss off the locals or the local climbing gods with having a dog with us.

http://www.climbnovascotia.ca/environme ... _for_dover

Just read this on CNS website and it's encouraged to leave your pet at home..

Has me a little more confused... should I advise my friend against bring a dog with us?

Hey Ben were not in your our league of climbing ( we're all pretty much novice boulders ) but if your around we would appreciate you showing us around the island. Should I bring extra food? liquids?

Will drop by MEC before going over ( Thinking I might rent a couple bouldering pads ) So maybe I'll pick a guide book while I'm there.

Later
Pierre
Pierre

Postby tracstarr » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:58 pm

while dogs are allowed on the island they are sometimes a problem to other climbers. I've been there several times where owners don't control their dogs, and they piss or $hit on or under problems people want to get on. The note on the CNS site was aimed more towards the boulderfest event where upwards of 70 people attend. If it's a dog and owner with control then there shouldn't be a problem. my 2 cents.
tracstarr

Postby The Mitt » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:13 pm

Tracstar is right, you know if your dog is one of those dogs or not. If it will chase the wildlife and cause problems for other climbers (like my dog) then its best to leave him home.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Zamboni » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:51 am

as long as the dog is one of those non barking kinds, that likes to sleep in the shade, bring'er on by.
Zamboni

Hey Mitt

Postby Zamboni » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:54 am

Did you get out to dover last weekend? I made it out saterday instead of sunday. Nocked off another project, but added another to the list. I'm heading over again this weekend.

CB.
Zamboni

Postby patzer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:09 am

So there is a boat going over then? On Saturday I presume? :|
patzer

Postby Zamboni » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:44 pm

Some people are heading out saterday, I'm heading out friday night.
Zamboni

Postby The Mitt » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:59 pm

Have fun Conan. Myself and steve will be at Whitehorse/Cathedrell in New Hampshire.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby ben smith » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:09 pm

YO conan- I want to go over friday are you down- what time etc.

SToked!!

yo pierre I can showw you around the island saturday if you are out- have to work sunday though
ben smith

Postby jnnfr » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:07 pm

Who's going on Saturday? What time?
jnnfr

Postby Zamboni » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:56 am

Mitt!

Have fun looking at stevos ass all weekend! Take lots of pictures.

CB.
Zamboni

Postby Andrew » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:25 pm

...see that's why I prefer to climb with girls...

Zamboni wrote:Mitt!

Have fun looking at stevos ass all weekend! Take lots of pictures.

CB.
Andrew

Return to Nova Scotia