Aid Climbing

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Aid Climbing

Postby The Teth » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:56 pm

Anyone in the Halifax area interested in aid climbing?

....Do I hear crickets?

Come on. Aid climbing would be a great way to gain more experience with your rope work and develop more trust in your gear placements. I am talking about clean aid of course. I am not about to risk a lynching by knocking stuff in with a hammer!

I use the Russian Aider system rather than the webbing ladder type of aider more common in the West. To learn more about Russian Aiders visit: http://www.gearreview.com/russian_aid.asp Trango does not make them anymore. Trango had stopped production by the time these started to become popular. Although Fish http://www.fishproducts.com/ is planing to produce them once they find a source for titanium hooks, there is currently no one producing Russian aiders in North America. I made my own using the instructions found at: http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/view ... 584#347584 I spend a week or so sewing, and then took them to a cobbler to backup the stitching at key points. The nice part about making the gear yourself is that it is very inexpensive.

I would love to get out with an experienced aid climber, but I can only think of two people in Nova Scotia who fall into that category, and one of them is rumoured to have stopped climbing. Maybe there are some other closet aid climbers out there who I do not know about. Otherwise, anyone who knows how to place trad gear, repel, and has some basic rope knowledge would be welcome. If you have a car you would be doubly welcome. My wife will probably let me go climbing if it does not inconvenience her, but if I take the car and leave her stuck at home all day without transportation, she is libel to get miffed.

Anyone interested?

Teth
The Teth

Aid climbing

Postby peter » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:25 am

Try Sean McOuat, if he is in Halifax this summer.

Peter
peter

Postby The Teth » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:38 am

Oh, I will definitely try to get him out if I can track him down, but last time I spoke to him he said he had given up climbing!

Teth
The Teth

Postby seanT » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:15 am

He has given up climbing..that is why he is into aid now.
seanT

Postby The Teth » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:28 pm

Does anyone have contact info for Sean McOuat? If so, can you PM me?

Teth
The Teth

Postby sean M » Sat May 05, 2007 7:01 pm

Hey Guys. And sorry Teth this is a year late.
I did give up climbing for some years to focus on School and fixin my busted back. (a shattered vertebrae seems to never want to heal!)
I am around this summer and am wanting to get back into the climbing game. I still have some Aid gear, and have a whack of trad gear.
But I also have a set of chicken arms from pushing pencil's so I need to get out there and put some serious time on the rock.

Peter you still around?
My contact info is sean.mcouat@gmail.com so give me a call (whenever this frigging weather gets better!)
I have a vehicle too! (a mint 1976 kawasaki kz 400!)
Seano!!
sean M

Postby Diamox » Sat May 05, 2007 8:00 pm

I just grabbed a set of ascenders... and was thinking about picking aiders.

I have wheels (Subaru holds more then the Kawasaki) but zero experience.

the younger Peter
Diamox

Return to Nova Scotia