Doverfest

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Doverfest

Postby ben smith » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:10 pm

So as most people have heard boulderfest was pretty much rained out. we got a little bit of climbing in at midnight but it was not really the rad climbing weekend I had hoped for. In light of that I decided to organize another CNS event for August 26th and 27th- titled Doverfest. Its going to be a two day session like boulderfest, but unlike boulderfest the cost is only 15 dollars for the boat only- Bring your own food and beverages. Also in order to give people a chance to rope climb outside, which they might not have regularly, CNS is going to have an instructor/belayer on hand to give people a chance to try some of the routes on dover.

Should be a good time- and hopefully the weather will be good.

Signup starts in a week-Aug 3rd, 70 people max just like boulderfest, you can either sign up on the CNS website or email me at bn948751-at-dal-dot-ca
ben smith

Postby ben smith » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:10 pm

yo fred or teth or whoever can you make this thread sticky for a month just for information purposes?
ben smith

Postby Fred » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:12 pm

no prob
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

hopefully this becomes a tradition

Postby betaburgler » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:40 am

Hopefully you just started a trend Ben. I can live with two Dover climbing events a year. Good call! Long live El-Presidante!!

Nate
betaburgler

Postby jeremy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:42 am

so is anyone going to this thing or what? Sandrine, myself and another friend are going for sure. I've been away for a couple weeks and can't wait to get back out. We had a little tease of a session in LOC yesterday which was great!
Jeremy
jeremy

Postby jeremy benjamin » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:54 pm

The Benjamin's are bringing the ruckus to Doverfest this weekend. Stoked!
jeremy benjamin

Postby The Teth » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:35 am

Yeah, I am really looking forward to it!

What is the boat schedule. When does the first boat leave on Saturday?
The Teth

Postby j parker » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:04 pm

I'm going, for sure.

Jeff
j parker

Postby ben smith » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:01 pm

we have hell of people stoked for this thing - fiorst boat leaves at 9- first come first serve, bring the ruckus yo!
ben smith

Postby Zamboni » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:12 pm

The cash is going right to norm, so bring exact change.

Conan.
Zamboni

Postby Zamboni » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:14 pm

Again,

CNS is not bringing anything. So bring your own water, food, adult bevies, and don't leave anything behind. In other words, Clean up after your own dirty ass!
Zamboni

Postby The Mitt » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:58 pm

How many people are going? I believe that there was a reason why there were limited numbers for boulderfest.

Don't mean to rain on anyones parade but if ya got 100 people or more camping, flowering, pissing and generally walking all over the place then I would be will to bet its not going to be good for the island.

Not trying to start a flame war just making an observation and wondering if this has been thought about.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby ben smith » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:41 pm

yeah mitt I planned a weekend on dover- an area that I treat as a second home- with no regard for the environmental effects of having lots of people on the island. right now the number of climbers potentially heading out is in the 30-40 person range- no where near the limits for boulderfest. Bullsh.it you don't want to start a flame war saying something like that, Sean I'm spending tonight cleaning up LOC until 10 tommorow morning- come out and pitch in if you are really worried about the environment- if not I'm lumping you in with the rest of the people in NS who like to complain about things but bottle out when the chance comes to actually get their hands dirty fixing something.
ben smith

Postby tracstarr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:19 pm

geish, this is the first time i've seen ben lash out. ouch. Be careful ben, the mitt has always been one out there cleaning up and bitching at those who left the mess.... bithch at others, not mr mitt.
tracstarr

Postby ben smith » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:23 pm

well if I'm out of line then I'll apologize but I'm sick of people critizing the way I try to get people out climbing when I don't see them do much more than bitch about chalk and bolts
ben smith

Postby Zamboni » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:47 pm

Baaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Too funny. I guess people start to get all edgy after two weeks of sleeping under boulders.

Hey Mitt, I gots a full rack now. Hows your Fall looking? Is the wife going to let you out to play?

CB.
Zamboni

Postby The Mitt » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:53 am

Wow. I really was not trying to stir anything up. I just thought I would ask after reading "we have hell of people stoked for this thing". That kinda concerned me, it was not meant as a criticism towards you or CNS. I think anyone organizing anything is cool.

I would be "stoked" to go do a clean up day at dover this weekend however I am currently north of 60. I have spent many days going out bouldering only to cut it short because I had to clean up other climbers crap, chalk included. There are many posts in the previous news group and some here about the areas I have cleaned Prospect, Dover, Corn and Bung, Main Face, First Face. We even used to organize cleaning days.

I have reread my comments several times and fail to see how they are criticizing or accusatory if you read them to be that I apologize. I thought that asking, if you or CNS thought about limiting the numbers was valid. For what its worth I think the second event is a great idea.

Wow I hate to see how you are going to react when a really controversial subject comes up.

Mitt
The Mitt

Doverfest

Postby peter » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:53 am

Ben has a pretty experienced crew to draw upon for advice and support:

CNS Board 2006 - 2007

Ben Smith
- President

Heather Reynolds Sagar
- Secretary

Conan Baker
- Treasurer

Teth Cleveland
- Membership Coordinator
- Chair of the Access Committee

David Blanchard
- Clinic Administrator

Cara Berube
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Digby Rep.

Keith Swyer
- Webmaster

Chris Daniel

Jeremy How

James LaRusic (Ex-Officio Director)
- Cape Breton Rep.

Chris Hayes (Ex-Officio Director)

I will try and paddle over on Sunday to assist, but my life isn't yet that predictable.

Peter
peter

Hey Ben

Postby stacy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:35 pm

I think I can make it this weekend. do we have to sign up.. ie to ensure teh 70 people limit you speak of??

let me know

note to all Smiths.. you are all coming right?? we can revive Team Joe!
stacy

Postby ben smith » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:25 pm

stacy- we aren't anywhere near 70 people yet (still in the 40-45 range) so you should be good to go- the smiths will be there and bringing the ruckus as usual.

Sean I apologize about the previous couple of messages- I was down in the gym working and wanted to be outside climbing. I was reading your messages as saying that I was too stupid to think about a 70 person limit- after organizing/ helping organize bouldering events and tons of trips to the island over the last 2 years that seemed pretty insulting to me- it also seemed to imply that I don't care about dover island and preserving it as a climbing resource- after the work I've put in cleaning flowers off the island, cleaning chalk, helping preserve trails etc. I found that pretty offensive. Again if I misread what you were saying then I apologize.
ben smith

Re: Doverfest

Postby Fred » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:31 pm

peter wrote:Digby Rep.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby The Mitt » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:26 pm

ben smith wrote:Sean I apologize about the previous couple of messages- I was down in the gym working and wanted to be outside climbing. I was reading your messages as saying that I was too stupid to think about a 70 person limit- after organizing/ helping organize bouldering events and tons of trips to the island over the last 2 years that seemed pretty insulting to me- it also seemed to imply that I don't care about dover island and preserving it as a climbing resource- after the work I've put in cleaning poop off the island, cleaning chalk, helping preserve trails etc. I found that pretty offensive. Again if I misread what you were saying then I apologize.

No worries brother sometimes I intend to come off as you assumed. I really do respect the job you are doing for us climbers and this time did not mean any malice. Wish I could attend the festivities. Have a great time.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Zamboni » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:08 am

Hey ben,

Keith and I have a wedding this Saturday. Yup that’s right. Were getting married. Can you inform Norm that a half boatload of people will be over first thing Sunday morn.. Prob between 9 / 10am. At that same time, people who want to get off the island early can do so.

Conan.
Zamboni

Postby martha » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:53 am

Zamboni wrote:Hey ben,

Keith and I have a wedding this Saturday. Yup that’s right. Were getting married.
Conan.

congrats guys, I thought you were awefully close. now I know why!!!

Did you register at MEC?
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby jeremy benjamin » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:07 pm

Does anyone have Chris Kozela's e-mail address? or if Chris is reading this then give me a call man. 430-2554.
jeremy benjamin

Postby anne » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:46 am

Here is Chris's Email: CKOZELA@DAL.CA

Was a great weekend - my fingertips hurt typing though.

Anne (anna)
anne

Return to Nova Scotia