Questions about Dover Island and sport climbing.

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Questions about Dover Island and sport climbing.

Postby brozouf » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:05 pm

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Nova Scotia (we're from Montréal). I heard that Dover Island is one of the best place in Canada for bouldering but i have no ideas how to get there.
Can we rent a boat? Is camping allowed? We're planning ti be there un midweek (august 28-29)...

Also, is there any sport climb in the region (NB,PEI,NS)? Single or Multipitch?

Help MEEEEEEE!

Txs in advance!

Ben.
:D
brozouf

Postby szymiec » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:29 pm

Hey,

- Camping Yes, cold wind a blowin...
- You have to hire buddy to take you out to the island. I cant remember his name though. Anyone?
- Hmm sport climbing. Sorrow's End has some nice single pitch stuff and a couple of nice cracks. First Face is nice but there are only a few sport routes. Main Face is wicked cool but i think it's all trad. Regardless all of these spots are in stunning locations.
-Dont forget about Land of Confusion (LOC) and Polly's cove. I think the bugs must be nearly all dead out there by now.
-Grovers is cool if you feel like renting a Kayak, i think Rob also rents out pads too. Call Sea sun kayaks though first.

I'd buy the Bouldering guide at MEC in Halifax, it has all the directions.

Sorry i cant be of more help, I havnt been in NS for a while now.

Climb on!
Chris
szymiec

Postby szymiec » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:30 pm

did you see the DOVER FEST post above?
szymiec

Postby martha » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:44 pm

There is some great sport climbing in St. Andrews NB. Check out the online guide at betasource in the links section above.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby ben smith » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:54 am

yo ben drop me a line at 441-1648 and I can show you around, to get to dover island you should contact Norm Stone at 823-3339 (902) he can give you a boat ride to the island for 15 bucks a head wih a minimum of 75. camping is allowed in most of the bouldering areas around nova scotia as well as on dover- just pick up your trash and try not to alter the area (fire rings, tp, etc.)

sorrows end and first face in terence bay and MOsquidobit respectively have the best sport climbing in NS.
ben smith

Postby brozouf » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:26 pm

Txs guys! :)

Ben, we will call you asap! :)
brozouf

Return to Nova Scotia