Easy rock w easy access?

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Easy rock w easy access?

Postby Paddlerx » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:19 am

My girlfriend and i are heading to cape breton this weekend. looking to do the driving tour around the trail (she's never been before), some hiking/some biking/some camping too.
I'd also like to take her onto some EASY rock to help with her fear of heights/getting more comfortable.

can anyone recommend some accessible and simple climbs at any point along the cabot trail for us to spend a few hours on?

thanks in advance,
don
Paddlerx

Postby The Teth » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:47 pm

Black Brook just past Ingonish. The cliff is just on the North side of Black Brook. You can see it as you drive across the bridge. It is just off the road, well featured, and not particularly high (but high enough to be fun). You need to stop at the warden’s station in Ingonish to get a free climbing permit in order to climb.

Let me know how it goes. I spent three years negotiating with the park to open that cliff to climbing, and I have not heard of anyone actually climbing there since. It would be nice to feel like all the effort was worth something. I really want to go climb there myself, but have just been too occupied with other stuff to make the trip. It sounds perfect for what you want though. There is also a campground at Black Brook, so if you are camping, that should be convenient.

Teth Cleveland
The Teth

Return to Nova Scotia