ice climbing

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

ice climbing

Postby climberwannabe » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:42 am

Hey everyone, pretty new to the climbing scene... like at the 'just got my harness' stage. Anyways, I'd love to try this ice climbing. Any recommendations for a new guy to get into this? I am in pretty good shape and serious about giving this a go. Any info would be gold.
climberwannabe

Postby martha » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:08 am

UNB annual ice School. the weekend of Feb 12/13. you can go on the saturday or the sunday.

go to the Banff Film festival on Feb 3/4th at 7pm to find out more information about meeting times, cost etc.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby rendog » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:13 pm

hey climberwannabe:

keep you eyes open on this forum for the next CNS ice day outing. if you do decided to come out, please try to have a pair of mountaineering boots or at least skiboots for climbing in. If not and your feet arent' abnormally large, you might be able to borrow someones boots too, but i"m not speaking for anyone, so it's best I think anyway if you try to get yer own.

If you've got all the rest of the gear...warm and waterproof...then you'll be ok. but most likely between most of us we should have you covered. Tools and crampons, you can usually borrow from someone, or if you ask a round there might be someplace you can rent gear
if you look like your passport photo, then you probably need the vacation
rendog

Ski Boots?

Postby jhousser » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:05 am

So regular ski boots are fine? Aside from that just weather appropriate clothing is all that would really be required? My friend and I are super stoked about joining you all one of these days we're just in the same situation (new to ice climbing) and have no gear, but I've got some ski boots so if those work then we're golden (sole length = 317mm).

Psyched,

John
jhousser

Return to Nova Scotia