MEC Halifax

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

MEC Halifax

Postby Fred » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:39 am

Does anyone know if there are any bolts left at MEC in Halifax? I heard they got cleaned out a couple weeks ago.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby tracstarr » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:45 pm

i was told they sent them all back to HQ. i dunno if that ment older style only or all.
tracstarr

Postby The Mitt » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:16 am

Man your better off just going through the mail order. By the time you go down there fight to find a parking space, wait for the required 20 minutes for someone to serve you, then have to draw a diagram of what you are looking for cause the person there has no clue only to find out that they have none in stock. Its just less agro to order via mail. However they have a great selection of mountain axes and -40 childrens sleeping bags.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Fred » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:42 am

The Mitt wrote:However they have a great selection of mountain axes and -40 childrens sleeping bags.

LOL
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:20 am

The Mitt wrote:Man your better off just going through the mail order. By the time you go down there fight to find a parking space, wait for the required 20 minutes for someone to serve you, then have to draw a diagram of what you are looking for cause the person there has no clue only to find out that they have none in stock. Its just less agro to order via mail. However they have a great selection of mountain axes and -40 childrens sleeping bags.

Mitt

You weren't shopping at the Victoria store were you??
dcentral

Postby The Mitt » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:36 pm

I even called to ask to speak with the person in charge with the climbing section and explain my issues with their stock. Left 2 messages and never got called back. Great customer service. Sounds pretty much like the same issues at most of the stores.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:49 pm

Gah, I'm in the harness hunt right now, checked out the hali store when I was in town last week. Not moch of what they had in stock appealed to me, so I'll have to wait to get into Toronto to look for another harness. The problem is that I still have only (pretty much) two stores to choose from, MEC being the largest.

If it wasn't so hard to get things shipped to Canada I'd do a lot more online shopping.
granite_grrl

Postby Fred » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:19 am

update

they have hangers, rap rings and belay anchors left but are sold out of bolts. A new shipment is on order.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Fred » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:04 pm

I just went through the exercise of trying to buy Hilti anchors elsewhere than MEC. I was quoted $350 for 50 bolts which is 3 times more than MEC. Plus you have to buy a minimum quantity of 50. And no one in Atlantic Canada stocks the stainless steel so you end up having to mail order anyway. Brampton Ontario is the closest supply other than MEC.

conclusion:
MEC is your only feasible option for fixed hardware
Fred
Site Admin

MEC has bolts in.

Postby Zamboni » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:33 pm

Checked out the bolts at MEC last week.. All they have in stock are Hilti 3/8" x 3". I don't feel comfortable using them, there pretty small. Whats your take on them?

CB.
Zamboni

Postby mike » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:56 pm

Check the specks on the technical side of Hilti. I'm pretty sure that 3/8 Hilti anchors are good for 5000lbs shear force. aka 17KN- 3/8" is watchu wathchu want!

Ps- I dressed up in jeans and t-shirt with my wife and went to the beesh (spelling corrected due to pronunciation), I was pretending to be a rich white guy aka A BIG BOY.

Nobody knew I was wearing a costume, celebrating Halloween, but hey! It was kinda fun.

Go with the 3/8". Don't trust old 1/4" stuff. The people who placed those were harder core than all of us. I mean they wore wool suits to climb. The wives, should they be deemed, unfeminine, climbed in their super heavy, ankle covering , full legnth dresses.

Cheers ladies and gentlemen.... I've followed the Mitt's tried and proven formula of drunken chatting.... and hey.... nice one.
Just wish there was some frinndly animal nearby that wanted to clean the sand outta my orifices.

Mike
mike

Re: MEC has bolts in.

Postby Fred » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:13 pm

Zamboni wrote:Checked out the bolts at MEC last week.. All they have in stock are Hilti 3/8" x 3". I don't feel comfortable using them, there pretty small. Whats your take on them?

CB.

Those are the ones you want.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Zamboni » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:37 pm

Zamboni

Postby Fred » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:43 pm

yuppers
Fred
Site Admin

Postby The Mitt » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:14 pm

Those are them :)

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby waterat » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:23 am

...then again, you could always try just leading with micros and hb's like real climbers do..... :lol:
waterat

Postby Zamboni » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:07 pm

No more bolts left.. all sold out!
Zamboni

Postby Fred » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:18 pm

at the moment the available quantity on the website is 40. did you have more thant that?

It's possible the phone order would give you a different answer for product availability.

Note: it also says the product is in stock in Halifax store
Fred
Site Admin

Postby The Mitt » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:06 pm

Once again with the excellent service in the Halifax store. Just because it says on the website that they are in stock does not mean its in stock, hell even if you call and they say they have it doesn't mean they have it. I looked on the internet for a pair of shoes they were in stock, I called they were in stock. I went down to buy them and they had none left all within 24 hours.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Zamboni » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:42 pm

They only had 25 on hand, thats all their inventory showed they had. CNS bought them all.

CB.
Zamboni

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:01 pm

Halifax MEC doesn't have a huge amount of climbing staff. I think there is one, maybe two left. I think the last is soon to leave as well so, if we want things at MEC it sounds like the climbing community is going to have to speak up as a whole.

Nate
Nate

Postby The Mitt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:08 pm

Problem is they won't listen. I tried everything (even being nice) to try an explain what equipment will sell and what obviously won't. The person who orders the equipment didn't even get back to me. They are known for crap customer service and have been for years, the only thing is they are cheap and thats why I keep going back.

Mitt
The Mitt

MEC climbing products

Postby MEC Halifax » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:24 am

Hey everyone, Lots of interesting chatter about our store!

Nate said it, we do only have one "climber" on hand at the moment, but we're working on uping our staff knowledge with some 'climbing info sessions' in the near future thanks to Ground Zero!

I strongly encourage everyone to talk to a senior staff member (especially our Product Team Leader) when requesting certain goodies that we either can't find or don't know anything about. We don't want anyone leaving with a bad taste in their mouth because we can help everyone get out climbing! Thanks.

Jodi
MEC Halifax

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:12 pm

Okay, if the bolts are always sold out at MEC why not just order them from Hilti directly? I would assume that you would have to order a minimum of a box of 50, but if you're doing much route developpment that's really not all that much.

Pretty sure that MEC buys the bolts from Hilti and then marks them up, you might as well just buy them for much cheaper from Hilti.

http://www.hilti.com
http://www.hilti.ca/holca/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-32058
granite_grrl

Postby MEC Halifax » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:25 pm

"I was quoted $350 for 50 bolts which is 3 times more than MEC"- Fred
MEC Halifax

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:11 pm

MEC Halifax wrote:"I was quoted $350 for 50 bolts which is 3 times more than MEC"- Fred

Well then, there you go. My husband and I will try to stop at the Hilti outlet off the QEW when we head to Hamilton on Monday if we have time. He's been frustrated at the bolts in stock at MEC too, and driving to Toronto very often isn't a really an option for us.
granite_grrl

Postby MEC Halifax » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:18 pm

Ummm...they're 3 times cheaper at MEC, not 3 times more expensive.

Let us know when you are coming into MEC and we can see if we'll have them set aside for you!
MEC Halifax

Postby Fred » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:51 pm

yeah I tried to buy direct from Hilti a few weeks ago. Stainless steel mechanical anchors are rarely used in the construction industry and makes finding them a challenge. Believe it or, they are no were in stock in Atlantic Canada. I was quoated a price of $350 for 50 bolts which is $7 a piece. They sell for $2.50 at MEC.

I even spoke to my Hilti contacts direct as I deal with Hilti hardware everyday for my work.

MEC is the only feasible option.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Fred » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:52 pm

Fred wrote:I just went through the exercise of trying to buy Hilti anchors elsewhere than MEC. I was quoted $350 for 50 bolts which is 3 times more than MEC. Plus you have to buy a minimum quantity of 50. And no one in Atlantic Canada stocks the stainless steel so you end up having to mail order anyway. Brampton Ontario is the closest supply other than MEC.

conclusion:
MEC is your only feasible option for fixed hardware
Fred
Site Admin

Postby The Teth » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:54 pm

Well, it is good to see some corporate representation on this site. Jodi, what is your position at MEC?

Maybe you could pass along some of our concerns. Aside from the current bolt shortage, I believe The Mitt has pointed out that MEC Halifax has more strait handled mountaineering axes than Nova Scotia has mountaineers. In Nova Scotia there is probably more demand for vertical ice tools and crampons, rather than the alpine stuff.

Maybe other people can comment on other specific stocking issues.

Teth
The Teth

Next

Return to Nova Scotia