MEC Halifax

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Postby MEC Halifax » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:08 pm

My current position is the "Halifax Community Partnership Coordinator".

Any time you guys are in the store, and can't find something or want to see something in the store that we don't carry, please talk to a senior staff member about it.

And just so you all know, the bolts that you guys are looking for are on the way. They should be here in the next week or two, so thanks for bringing this to our attention and happy climbing.
MEC Halifax

Postby The Mitt » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:35 pm

Ok so how about when I called and asked to speak with the person who orders Climbing gear so we could discuss the current merchandise and how things could be better. I left 2 messages for her to call me back and numbers where I could be reached 24/7. No call. I have been in the store 6 times looking for oval biners cause I bought all they had in stock, could not get any more asked for more and even asked for light D's. That was at the begining of this summer, still no ovals and no light D's.

I know this is very pointed but, I buy $200 - $1000 a year on gear. Less and less are being bought at MEC because of stock and customer service issues.

So should I call again and ask for the stuff to be stocked?

Mitt
Just trying to help us both out.
The Mitt

Postby Fred » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:12 pm

contrary to what most people think, MEC is no cheaper than all the other places.

check out

Radical Edge in Fredericton
http://www.lacordee.com
http://www.mountainmagic.com
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:04 pm

MEC Halifax wrote:Ummm...they're 3 times cheaper at MEC, not 3 times more expensive.

Let us know when you are coming into MEC and we can see if we'll have them set aside for you!

I got what you were saying. But the fact is that the Hilti store is waaaaayyyy closer to us than MEC.

What harm is there in popping in and looking? Might find the same thing as Fred, maybe we'll get a differet story if we're there in person.
granite_grrl

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:11 pm

Fred wrote:contrary to what most people think, MEC is no cheaper than all the other places.

check out

Radical Edge in Fredericton
http://www.lacordee.com
http://www.mountainmagic.com

That la cordee store looks pretty nice! But it doesn't help much if they don't sell online. At least I didn't see an option. :(
granite_grrl

Postby Fred » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:38 pm

I've never actualy bought anything from LaCordee mainly because their web site sucks. I have bought stuff from Mountain Magic though.

the biggest thing with LaCordee is to keep your eyes open for deals on climbing shoes.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby MEC Halifax » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:11 am

Hey Mitt, If you call the store (421-2667) or stop in, ask for Suzane, any senior staff, or myself (Jodi) and I assure you that we'll see if we can help you out!

I'll apologize on behalf of whoever didn't help you out because there's no excuse for this kind of service or lack thereof.
MEC Halifax

Postby martha » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:31 am

In Defense (and not) of MEC I want to say that they have ALWAYS been generous to Climb Nova Scotia with prizes etc for our events, (boulderfest, the AGM etc) and have been generous to us in NB for some of our events too. Don't forget that their Environmental fund helped us with $400 dollars towards our Welsford Remediation project back in 2003/4. THANKS!

I also am the first to admit, that my first stop (after the bathroom) upon arriving in Halifax is always MEC. Fred and I always make time to go there no matter how quick our trip is and we have bought literally thousands of dollars worth of gear there.

I am currently loving the kids stuff (inepensive, neutral colors, long lasting and WARM) for Marie-France, and we have had great luck with climbing gear, camping equipment, techincal clothing etc. I have always had pretty good service there, but being the gearwhore that I am, I don't usually have questions to ask about what I'm trying, I just need to see sizes etc.

HOWEVER, I do feel that MEC has pansied out in the last few years, their catalog resembling the LL Bean book more and more. With lots of clothes and things for the urban outdoorsman, and little bathroom reading (taking the website to potty is a bit of a pain) for those of us wanting to check out specs on mountaineering axes, the lastest stove, headlamp or biner. This years winter catalog was a big pile of poo and should thus be used as tp while out in the wilderness. I have all the old catalogs dating back to the 90's on my shelf, and I still love to read them, (and reminise about prices of days gone by) because they had all the gear in them and less of the yuppie clothing and luxury items.

I shop at MEC for the items that I can't buy at the Radical Edge in Fredericton which usually translates to climbing gear, some kids stuff and speciality items.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:44 am

So we stopped in at the Hilti store today, and this is what we found out.

For the Kwik Bolt 3 (3/8" diameter, 3" length) in 304 stainless steal they're $155 for 50 ($3.10 per bolt) or $964 for 400 ($2.41 per bolt).

In 316 stainless they are $342 for 50 bolts.

If you bought the 304s through a company then they're $90 for 50.

Now, the 316 stainless is more durable, but the guy at the store said the 304s get used offshore and in sweage treatment plants and hold up great. The MEC site doesn't say which bolts they actually carry, but looking at their prices I assume its the 304 stainless (MEC Halifax, could you verify this?).
granite_grrl

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:50 am

Cara, this is one of my biggest gripes about MEC. They're a mail order comapny, but they don't have everything they carry in their cataloges or online.

I bought my husband a pair of BD Fusions from GearExpress because I didn't think that MEC carried them. We walked in a couple weeks later and they have the same bloody tools sitting there for the same price (both places they were on sale). They didn't have them in the Halifax store so I assumed they didn't have them, they were at the Toronto store though.

That would have been another $400 we would have spent there if they would have actually put it on their web site or cataloge.
granite_grrl

Postby MEC Halifax » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:00 pm

You're right, it is 304 stainless steel.
MEC Halifax

Postby Fred » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:07 pm

granite_grrl wrote:So we stopped in at the Hilti store today, and this is what we found out.

For the Kwik Bolt 3 (3/8" diameter, 3" length) in 304 stainless steal they're $155 for 50 ($3.10 per bolt) or $964 for 400 ($2.41 per bolt).

In 316 stainless they are $342 for 50 bolts.

If you bought the 304s through a company then they're $90 for 50.

Now, the 316 stainless is more durable, but the guy at the store said the 304s get used offshore and in sweage treatment plants and hold up great. The MEC site doesn't say which bolts they actually carry, but looking at their prices I assume its the 304 stainless (MEC Halifax, could you verify this?).

Interesting. So it is obvious that I was quoted for 316 instead of 304.

The Hilti tabulated strength properties are the same for 304 and 316 (i just checked the catalogue). The only difference is improved corrosion resistance. I'm pretty sure the bolts from MEC are 304 and this also agrees with the price. I know the nut is for sure 304 since it is engraved on each one.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby The Teth » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:17 pm

MEC Halifax:

Regarding The Mitt’s comment about oval carabineers. I was in recently in and I think you had some non-locking oval’s in stock, but I bought the last locking oval (I took the one from the display). Could you make sure that they get restocked? I had intended to buy more than one.

It would be nice to see a really light Carabineer stocked as well. My rack is getting very heavy and I have been thinking about going to a lighter carabineer to lighten the load.

Teth Cleveland
The Teth

Postby The Mitt » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:33 pm

MEC Halifax wrote:Hey Mitt, If you call the store (421-2667) or stop in, ask for Suzane, any senior staff, or myself (Jodi) and I assure you that we'll see if we can help you out!

I'll apologize on behalf of whoever didn't help you out because there's no excuse for this kind of service or lack thereof.

Thanks alot, I will be in in the next couple of weeks poking around for new gear. I'll say hello. Just a couple of points.

1. Many people like oval biners (their cheap and functional), should never run out.
2. You have more mountain axes than mountaineers in NS.
3. Most of the people here use Black Diamond and Wild Country cams. The others are good but BD and WC are more popular. You currently carry no WC cams that I saw.
4. You should never run out of bolts (they don't have a shelf life). Carry the drill bits as well.
5. As much as I love double and half ropes you don't need to carry them as there are not enough of us who climb on them. (they do have a shelf life).
6. It would be great to have a choice in nuts (both BD and WC)
7. More shoes more sizes.
8. I keep wanting to buy more lucky quick draws but it seams there is never more than 2 at a time. (I'm cheap and so are they :)

I hope that helps and I am sure someone is going to tell me I'm wrong about something above just to cloud the situation. BTW I do really respect the fact that MEC is very involved in the community and still love that we have a store in Halifax.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:52 pm

I think it'd be very productive to have a meeting about this, with some of the mec staff in attendance would be great. That way we might be able to try and get a concensis on what the community wants and what the co-op can provide. Everyone blurting out there ideals on a web forum seems like its only going to send a big, jumbled and confusing message to both sides.

Anyone else interested in this idea? Jodi, would you or any other mec staff be willing to attend something like this?

Nate
Nate

Postby The Mitt » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:13 pm

Good idea Nate.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby martha » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:15 pm

The Mitt wrote:3. Most of the people here use Black Diamond and Wild Country cams. The others are good but BD and WC are more popular. You currently carry no WC cams that I saw.

I hope that helps and I am sure someone is going to tell me I'm wrong about something above just to cloud the situation.
Mitt

BAH!!! WC cams suck. :D METOLIOUS IS WHERE IT IS AT!!

I think that the cam/nut issue is a real personal preference thing so you should keep a good selection of them all in. Double ropes I agree, only a handful of people around here use them, mostly ice climbers and we need at least 60m ones. And moutaineering axes too.... no sense in having a ton of those around. You'd be better off stocking a few pair of the techincal tools (not the monsters or any of the mixed climbing ones because there isn't any of that kind of ice climbing around here, but more of the Vipers, Quarks and a basic cheaper set for beginers would likely do well.

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Teth » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:49 pm

A meeting is not a bad idea, but in regard to blurting it all out on a web forum, well, at least it is in writing and can be referred back to, or sections can be cut and pasted into a more useful document of what local climbers are asking for.

Martha is right about Nuts being a matter of personal preference. I have a set of DMM nuts. I won a #1 as a MEC sponsored door prize at a RockWorks climbing social, and have built it up from there. I still need the #8 and #10. I am not saying I prefer DMM, but if MEC Halifax decides to stop stocking them, I would like some advanced warning so I have a chance to finish my set.

Teth
The Teth

Postby MEC Halifax » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:07 am

It is a good idea to have a meeting of some sort, so we're all on the same page. I'll let you guys know in the next few days what we can come up with here. Thanks.
MEC Halifax

Postby seanT » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:50 am

Very interesting thread. Lots of good ideas. MEC and Ground Zero Climbing Gym will be working very closely in the comming months to develop climbing programs for both adults and youth, as well as offering "tech talks" for members and information sessions for staff. Perhaps another role GZ could play would be as a liason for climbers in the region. Having worked for MEC for several years and ran the climbing dept in the Ottawa store I am in sort of a unique position to "mediate" talks between the community and the Co-op. Climbers let me know what you think?
Sean Therien.
seanT

Postby Richard Eh! » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:18 am

Some good news here. Please bear in mind that most of the climbers in NB also shop at MEC in Halifax.
On a personal note...three trips to MEC since July...one for Petzl Corax and Metolius looped gear sling, was told in stock, got there, neither in store; next trip for Anasazi lace ups, was told in stock, got there, none in store; two weeks ago , BD Positron screwgates, got there, none in store.....
Richard Eh!

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:56 am

That sounds like a good idea Sean. It'd be good to have someone with experience of both climbing and working at the co-op. Maybe the climbers of NB could have a meeting up there as well and post there ideas here? It's good to see mec and the community coming together with this..

Nathan
Nate

Postby MEC Halifax » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:30 am

Okay, how about you guys talk this over and have two "reps" come over to the store and talk with Suzane and I sometime. Sound good? Thanks.

Sean T. and someone else maybe???
MEC Halifax

Postby martha » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:55 am

I think Sean would be great, and perhaps someone who ice climbs too?

I would if I happen to be in town at some point to make it happen. :)

Cheers.

martha

Postby The Teth » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:43 pm

Maybe Sean Kelly? He climbs ice and trad. Or if he is not available we could substitute another Sean. We have plenty of them. Send in the Seans!
The Teth

haha JK

Postby Climbing4life » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:52 pm

my name is sean
hahahahah

:lol:
"Death was Nature's way of telling you to slow down."
-- Terry Pratchett (Strata, 1981)
Climbing4life

Postby The Mitt » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:47 pm

I would certainly do it. I am willing to meet at anytime. Unless there are objections.

Sean K
The Mitt

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:06 pm

A general meeting is still necessary I think. After that it shouldn't really matter who we send as reps, as these people should be putting forth the consensis met at the meeting not just thier own ideas.

Sean T., It'd be great if you could possibly attend that meeting so we could get a bit of the mec perspective as well. Would you be up for that?

Who else is interested? This is your chance to get your voice heard and get the gear you want!

Nate
Nate

Postby The Mitt » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:29 pm

Sure let me know where and when.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby The Mitt » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:39 pm

What kind of consensus are you looking for? Types of equipment or brand names? Cause I think its pretty straight forward. I think its hard to go wrong as long as someone knows the gear. Brand names I don't care that much about, as long as there is gear for bouldering, Top roping, Ice climbing, Trad and sport. As long as there is not just one choice.

M
The Mitt

PreviousNext

Return to Nova Scotia