bouldering in january

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

bouldering in january

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:15 pm

so i assume some of you would normally be bouldering right now if it weren't for the 4 feet of snow you just got...

or are there some hardcores that are making it out? i'm thinking of heading down this weekend, but have no intentions of freezing my ass off ;) just wondering....

Postby Zamboni » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:02 pm

I just purchased some gators, just so I can get out an boulder. If i can find some snow shoes in my size, I'd get a pair.

I know of some guys that bring little gas heaters to worm up their shoes b4 each crank.

Conan.
Zamboni

Postby mr. freeze » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:03 pm

yeah we went out yesterday and today. LOC is ok now. Dover was a bit chilly. it was great. bring a tarp and a heater for your toes.
mr.freeze
mr. freeze

Postby jeremy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:06 pm

adam, man there isa lot of snow.... Theres tones hanging from trees and sticking to the tops and sides of the boulders. I would wait for a rain to clean the trees and boulders and compact the snow on the ground. Right now I think you would do a lot of walking, in snow up to your knees, before you could find a climbable line.

jeremy
jeremy

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:43 pm

fair enough... didn't really expect much else ;)

Postby Zamboni » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:12 pm

If you want to find a line to climb, Just plan ahead. Go out, bring a broom, and clean some topouts a few days b4 you want to go out.

IF you want to take it a step further, we could share the info, so we know whats clean and what isn't. What do you think?

Don't bother going to the lake boulders in the LOC. I was out there on saterday, there covered. I'll be heading out to the LOC again this weekend.

This is the best time of year to head out and look for some new areas. All the lakes are frozen, just walk accross them!

Conan.
Zamboni

Bouldering in January

Postby peter » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:38 pm

Luke, I am your father, join the dark side ...

- mountaineering led to
- rock climbing but also led to ice climbing
- and rock climbing led to
- sport climbing which led to
- bouldering which led to
- gym climbing, which is the crag enclosed.

But on a seasonal basis, you should go backwards: bouldering should lead to sport climbing, and then to rock climbing, on to ice climbing or gym climbing (if you can't face the outdoors), and ultimately back to mountaineering.

Having no mountains to speak of in this province, you guys should try ice, unless you have the cash to climb in the gym full-time.

I recommend that, rather than freeze the brass monkeys, you just chill out and embrace ice season. You can boulder the other ten months of the year, but ice is only there now.
peter

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:01 pm

thx for the advice guys... think i'm just going to chill while i'm down there... less and less interested in freezing the balls off my brass monkey :)

peter... i agree gym climbing is expensive down there in hali... but i fear ice climbing is a tad more expensive than bouldering...

i need to get a raise before i go buying ice gear ;)

Return to Nova Scotia