Eagles nest

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Eagles nest

Postby The Mitt » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:12 pm

I know this is going to sound hypacritical but I wouldn't care if every route there got bolted. With the amount of garbage and crap thats left around, the place is pretty much a right off anyway. The climbing community should be very greatful to the person/people who are doing that work. If help is needed for the routes at first face let me know, I will volunteer.

Mitt
Last edited by The Mitt on Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Mitt

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:10 pm

I enjoy eagles nest. Thanks for the re-bolting effort! How do you right off a cliff? You mean just not bother with it anymore and let is grow over?

Is there any word with talking with MEC? Maybe this is a time for conversation chopping and moving about.

Nate
Nate

Postby The Mitt » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:11 pm

I really used to enjoy climbing there. What I mean by right off is the trash that non-climbers leave there. Last time I was there I cut my hand on a beer bottle on the cave route. It was really sad to see the place so dirty. Eagles nest was were I learned to climb and I did my first leads. I try to go back there at least once a year but lately everytime I go I think it will be my last. Sad really. I think its great all the work people are putting into rebolting it though.

Mitt
The Mitt

Hello

Postby Climbing4life » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:23 pm

Where is the Eagels Nest ?? any pics??
"Death was Nature's way of telling you to slow down."
-- Terry Pratchett (Strata, 1981)
Climbing4life

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:27 pm

I think with the new bolts it'll be a great place for a day of sport climbing and a break from the usual granite. Great place to learn lead. I wouldn't mind a clean up/climbing day there sometime.

Nate
Nate

Postby The Mitt » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:34 pm

That would be cool. I would be up for that in the spring, it would be nice if we could get the city involved.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:17 pm

I don't like the idea of adding bolts someplace that really doesn't need them, but on the other hand it would probobly get more people out to that cliff and maybe keep it a little cleaner (as clean as you could keep it with kids still tossing beer bottles from the top).
granite_grrl

Postby The Teth » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:00 pm

Rebecca, the new bolts are replacing old bolts which were removed earlier in the year. At least two of the old bolts were removed without tools (just pulled out), which explains fairly well why the rest were removed. Eagles Nest has always been a sport crag. It will be good to have reliable bolts.

It would be a good idea to get the other CNS (Clean Nova Scotia) involved with the cleanup. They should at least provide garbage bags, and maybe gloves. It is also the sort of thing we could announce on the radio to get some positive publicity.

Teth
The Teth

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:07 pm

The Teth wrote:Rebecca, the new bolts are replacing old bolts which were removed earlier in the year. At least two of the old bolts were removed without tools (just pulled out), which explains fairly well why the rest were removed. Eagles Nest has always been a sport crag. It will be good to have reliable bolts.

:shock:

I'm very glad that those bolts were removed and replaced then! Too many people blindly trust bolts. Good on those who took the time to replace them!
granite_grrl

Postby ben smith » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:14 pm

there are a couple of clean obvious trad lines that I would prefer remain- bomber and close placements that are leadable on nuts and a good intro to trad climibng- but with community consensus some of the mixed lines should maybe be bolted
ben smith

Postby Rich » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:28 pm

Mixed lines also provide great opportunities for people to learn how to place gear. If a route takes gear my vote is to leave it alone.
-rich
Rich

Postby Stevo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:55 am

Re-equipping should be done on a strictly like-for-like basis. Add extra bolts and re-bolting becomes retro-bolting, the cause of many acrimonius disputes. Eagles Nest is a scruffy crag but it does have some historical significance and is useful because of its proximity to the City and quick drying nature. I'd suggest that th CNS policy on re-equipping remains consistent for all the climbing areas.

Cheers
Steve
Stevo

Postby Zamboni » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:41 am

I agree stevo.

CB.
Zamboni

Postby The Teth » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:05 pm

Although I agree with Ben that some of those mixed routes would probably be better if they were bolted, I also agree with Stevo that CNS policy on rebolting should be consistent for all the crags. Unless someone can track down one of the first Ascensionists to get their permission, the style should remain as before. Otherwise someone might take it into their heads to go and make Stevo’s routes “safe”.

Teth
The Teth

Return to Nova Scotia