DOES MEC EVER STOCK SIZE 11 (US) CLIMBING SHOES!

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

DOES MEC EVER STOCK SIZE 11 (US) CLIMBING SHOES!

Postby Climbing4life » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:55 am

I need to find some size 11(us) climbing shoes but mec never has any of the shoes they have in that size , do they ever.
Want to know any suggestions anyone might have on this matter ,
Thanks

Sean B(C4L)
"Death was Nature's way of telling you to slow down."
-- Terry Pratchett (Strata, 1981)
Climbing4life

Postby dcentral » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:17 am

I have purchased size 11 from them in the past.

10 1/2 in the Muria's surprsingly fit too.

Have you tried ordering them online.
dcentral

Postby Climbing4life » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:37 pm

dcentral wrote:I have purchased size 11 from them in the past.

10 1/2 in the Muria's surprsingly fit too.

Have you tried ordering them online.

the only reason i dont do that is because i have a wide foot , and i`d like to rty them on before i buy them. i might have to though
thank
C4L
Climbing4life

Postby dcentral » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:54 pm

I had the 5.10 mocs in size 11 and 12. They fit really nicely especially if you have wide feet.

Don't believe the haters.

The murias took awhile to get comfortable but now I think they are great.
dcentral

Right On

Postby Climbing4life » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:05 pm

dcentral wrote:I had the 5.10 mocs in size 11 and 12. They fit really nicely especially if you have wide feet.

Don't believe the haters.

The murias took awhile to get comfortable but now I think they are great.

i have right now anisazi mocs , they fit good width wise , but i kinda rushed into buying them ( last year , and aroudn the tiem i first start , was a lil excited) they are like 1 or even a half size too small in length , so they kill my toes
and suggestions on that??
thanks
C4L
Climbing4life

Postby Zamboni » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:47 pm

My suggestion, My everyday shoe size is 9, but I use a size 7 La Sportiva.

WELCOME TO CLIMBING.

CB.
Zamboni

Postby Climbing4life » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:55 pm

Zamboni wrote:My suggestion, My everyday shoe size is 9, but I use a size 7 La Sportiva.

WELCOME TO CLIMBING.

CB.

that crazy , so just go and try them on
plain and simple eh?
Climbing4life

Postby *Chris* » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:16 pm

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:47 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WELCOME TO CLIMBING.

CB.

I think the point of his message is that most folks climb in shoes significantly smaller than their norm. Within reason; performance is well correlated with tightness. (Damn... we need a graphing function on this forum). Anyway, if you're looking for a sport with comfy shoes, try basketball. Climbing, like most of life's great pleasures, normally involves some discomfort the fist few times.
*Chris*

Postby Climbing4life » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:38 pm

*Chris* wrote:
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:47 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WELCOME TO CLIMBING.

CB.

I think the point of his message is that most folks climb in shoes significantly smaller than their norm. Within reason; performance is well correlated with tightness. (Damn... we need a graphing function on this forum). Anyway, if you're looking for a sport with comfy shoes, try basketball. Climbing, like most of life's great pleasures, normally involves some discomfort the fist few times.

i know that but i`m saying it feels like my toe is broken after like 2 hours at the wall , thats brutal , i guess i want a less painful shoe if u wanna look at it that way .
Climbing4life

Postby dcentral » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:03 pm

two hours. You can take them off between climbs.

The first few times I climbed in my murias I was taking them off before I was back on the ground.
dcentral

Postby martha » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:03 pm

Climbing4life wrote:i know that but i`m saying it feels like my toe is broken after like 2 hours at the wall , thats brutal , i guess i want a less painful shoe if u wanna look at it that way .

In my words 'Suck it up'

I wear a 7.5 ladies shoe and wear a 5.5 ladies climbing shoe.

performance over comfort. a little pain will do you good.

sheesh, how are you ever going to ice climb if your rock shoes bother you that much?!

All that being said, when my shoes are new, I have to take them off after a couple of minutes, but by the time they are nicely broken in, I don't even need to take them off between pitches of a long route.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby ben smith » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:09 pm

I dunno- in the words of john bachar "you'll cliiimb better if your shoes aare comfortable" i don't use tiny shoes becasue i like to climb alot and if you are wearing chinese foot binding slippers you won't be psyched to do a hard session where it is your muscles and not your feet that are the limiting factor- I think this especially true if you are a newer cliimber- plus all of the hardest things i've climbed have been using busted ass shoes a size or two too large. the comfort factor is especially important in the winter, when bigger shoes can mean the difference between climbing or not.
ben smith

Postby joysquirts » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:17 pm

WORD how can you top that, the man just said it all. smith your a worrior
ADAM BENJAMIN
joysquirts

Postby martha » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:22 am

My shoes ARE comfy once broken in. I don't climb in 'pain', except when stretching out new shoes the first few times out.

They shouldn't HURT, but they might not be 'comfy' like a pair of crocks. That is just part of climbing. that is, I think, what we are all trying to say to C4L.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Zamboni » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:59 am

Ah poor boy Ben.. I think your full of SH@! :lol: Just think if the Velcro on your shoes actually worked, How much harder could you have healed with it? Or if the second hand shoe's, with your toe poking out still had rubber on it, How much harder could you have pulled/pushed with it?
Zamboni

Postby Stevo » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:46 am

I like climbing shoes to fit like sneakers, Brown and Whillans on-sighted new routes in nailed boots, some climb hard routes in bare feet. There are no rules, go your own way. It's the climber, not the shoe.
Stevo

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:27 pm

It's the climber, not the shoe.

Yes and no.

I've done 11's in my approach shoes, but there are plenty of 8's that would be quite hard if not impossible in them.

Saying its the climber, not the shoe is a little like saying its the golfer not the clubs, or the carpenter not the tools.

A good climber, golfer or carpenter with good tools is going to do a much better job at what they are doing and have more fun doing it if they have the proper tools. Likewise a total n00b isn't going to magically have the skills of someone who has been doing what ever for ever no matter what "tools" they use.

I bet the oldschool climbers would have traded there painfully tight hobnailed boots in a heart beat for painfully tight modern rock shoes.

I find that my shoes need to be downsized at least one full size to get better performance than my approach shoes. How much more depends on what I will be using them for and the type of shoe.
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:04 pm

:lol:

I feel for you man, all these people telling you how your shoes should fit. Just come to grips that most people have to go through a few pairs of shoes before they figure out what works best for them for different styles of climbing.

The most ironic thing is that climbing shoes sizing is all out of wack. 1 size down with one type of shoe will feel the same as 2 sizes down with another type of shoes.
granite_grrl

Postby Climbing4life » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:40 pm

granite_grrl wrote::lol:

I feel for you man, all these people telling you how your shoes should fit. Just come to grips that most people have to go through a few pairs of shoes before they figure out what works best for them for different styles of climbing.

The most ironic thing is that climbing shoes sizing is all out of wack. 1 size down with one type of shoe will feel the same as 2 sizes down with another type of shoes.

Thanks that what i thougght , i`m just gonna go in an try on a bunch of shoes , see what feels he best ( as per climbing shoes) and go with the flow.
Climbing4life

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:56 pm

I find a beat-up skate board shoe with a 2 by 4 and nails on the bottom works especially well(I suppose that ones funnier if you've seen Ben walking around in them). Try for comfortable on the wall and crummy to walk around in. I find that works best. If you go with ordering on-line, Evolv has a great system for finding the right shoe size the first time. They also have really good customer service I find, good about exchanging sizes and whatnot.

Nate
Nate

Re: DOES MEC EVER STOCK SIZE 11 (US) CLIMBING SHOES!

Postby Murph » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:39 am

Climbing4life wrote:I need to find some size 11(us) climbing shoes but mec never has any of the shoes they have in that size , do they ever.
Want to know any suggestions anyone might have on this matter ,
Thanks

Sean B(C4L)

I know how you feel. I wear a size 13 street shoe and I was to MEC in Halifax this summer looking for a pair of Sportivas. There was only one pair of 10.5 shoes that I could squeeze my foot into. I was hoping to try different models but the Katana’s have seemed to work great.
Murph

Return to Nova Scotia