CNS Ice Days - Sunday Feb. 6/05

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Postby peter » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:15 am

We had a fine weather day out at Deep Cove yesterday, with eleven climbers. Despite the predictable impact of bright sunshine on the south-facing ice found there, everyone climbed until tired and no one got brained by falling ice. A good day out!

If you are interested in climbing next Sunday, I think we should head to Hall's Harbour. High tide is predicted for 9:30 a.m., or so, eliminating the risk of an end of the day dash through the surf! We could go left, to the multiple but shorter routes, and start setting up top ropes before the tide is out.

The only question mark is the weather. Looks like a warmer spell toward the end of the week, and chance of showers Thursday and Friday. It may stay colder on the coast, though. If it just warms to +3, and freezes at night, no worries. If the temperature soars during the day, or stays warm on the weekend without good freezing at night, we should try somewhere "in the woods", like Gilbraltar or Truro.

Hope to see a good turn out. If you are reading these posts and thinking about it, give it a go. Every week there are some new faces turning up and climbing, whom never have before. If you have climbed ice before, but not in Nova Scotia, come out and bring a friend.

Peter
peter

Postby Zamboni » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:50 am

It was a great day to be out on the ice. I can't wait to try it again, even with the hot pink boots! :lol:

I'll be putting some pictures up soon, I got lots of great shots. If any one has some pictures they would like posted up, please e-mail them to me. conanbaker@gmail.com

Thanx's again guy's.

Conan.
Zamboni

coo coo

Postby climberwannabe » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:18 pm

This was awesome, thanks everyone for letting me use your stuff!! If there is anyone out there curious about trying this, go for it... it was my first time and I had a blast. Looking forward to next weekend.
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Uhmm...

Postby mitchleblanc » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:12 pm

"... and no one got brained by falling ice."

When this is a highlight of the day, I believe one should be asking one's self if perhaps a change in sports is in order ;)
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby peter » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:40 am

But this is why we wear "brain buckets", to avoid getting brained.

Weather looks to be holding for this weekend. Sunny and minus six in Kentville on Sunday, as of the mid-week forecast. I have heard different things about how warm it will get Friday, but at present, the Weather Office is saying more likely snow or freezing drizzle than a real warm spell.

Peter
peter

Postby rendog » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:49 pm

Peter

I'm back home now and I'm in

I've brought my extra rope back with me, but I didn't have room to bring my spare boots and crampons...Dammit. Sorry Steve
if you look like your passport photo, then you probably need the vacation
rendog

uh oh

Postby climberwannabe » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:12 pm

Damn you Mr. Cash. Nahh, thats alright man, the good people of CNS have been kind enough to lend me what I need-- just enough to get me hooked. Kind of like your local neighborhood pusher.
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

CNS Ice Days

Postby peter » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:52 am

Psst, wanna buy someting imported?
peter

Re: CNS Ice Days

Postby rendog » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:47 pm

peter wrote:Psst, wanna buy someting imported?

I dunno man...is it leagal?

hey gotta q for ya Peter...do you have any ropes you wnat to get rid of? Preferably 8.2 half ropes? Maybe you'd be willing to bring one out to the ice on sunday?

lmmfao
rendog

Re: CNS Ice Days Reply with quote

Postby Isomer » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:54 pm

Could somebody give the meeting time and directions to the crag/meeting spot? I'm new to Halifax (and have never ice climbed). I have an extra set of 8mm ropes, would it be of any use to bring these and/or any other group gear?
Isomer

Postby rendog » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:31 am

Isomer...you a chemist by chance?

any way here's a bit that I've pulled ota of one of the other posts

peter wrote: Steve-O-Renos at 8:00 a.m. Sunday, unless otherwise discussed here. See previous posts regarding the nature of ice days. All the earlier provisos apply! Come though, and we will make it work for you.

email me at mcmac@hfx.eastlink.ca for details. CNS has enough gear to help the unencumbered, but let me know what your needs are.

steve-o's is a coffee shop in Halifax, I'm sure it's in the book and you should be able to pull off the addy from that

unless things have changed that should be right. If you miss those guys I can meet you at the Tim Hortons in Windsor at 8:30 am. you can email me at rendog@rocklimbing.com if you want to hook up with me
rendog

Postby peter » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:34 am

I am ignoring this terrible weather we are having. I hope everyone else is.

We meet Sunday morning at 8:00 a.m. at Steve-O-Reno's Coffee Shop on Brunswick St., one block north of Spring Garden.

Working from Halifax landmarks I would say the location is:

- "behind" the main Library, Brunswick running on the west side of the library, and SOR being on the west side of Brunswick
- two blocks south of the Palace, which is on Brunswick across from the Citadel
- cut between the Church and library from Pizza corner, and you are looking at it

etc.

Hope to see you there.
peter

Postby peter » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:26 pm

Excellent day out, with fourteen climbers. Five top-ropes and a couple of most excellent leads, all at Hall's Harbour. Hope the weather holds for next week. ....
peter

Return to Nova Scotia