Ice Climbing - Sunday Feb. 13/05

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Ice Climbing - Sunday Feb. 13/05

Postby peter » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:14 pm

Anyone interested in a long haul Sunday, to Moose River?

Tides are off again this coming weekend, as they are every other weekend. High tide at Baxter's is mid-afternoon, and we have found out what that means in past years.

Deep Cove already saw a visit, and Gilbraltar or Truro are too small for this time of the season.

Moose River has a committing approach, and someone who knows where they are going would have to lead.

We would have to leave early and return late.

Thoughts? Interest? Mike? Chris? you guys have been there.

Peter
peter

ice tools recovered?

Postby shannon » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:39 pm

Peter, no one let me know whether the ice tools were picked up or not.

All went smoothly I take it?

shannon

PS Will be in Welsford, NB this saturday at "Ice school" for the day at least.
shannon

Postby Fred » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:06 pm

I think ice school is at Hayes Falls on the Malisseet trail near Woodstock. Follow the links button to go "Ice Climbing In New Brunswick". You'll also find photos on my website. http://www.beta-source.com
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

moose river

Postby shannon from PEI » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:08 pm

Is moose river in Economy?

shannon
shannon from PEI

CNS Sunday

Postby peter » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:28 pm

That is the right Moose River, yes.
peter

Postby mike » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:01 pm

No can do Peter. I've gotta go to work in a few hours.

However....

It's the west branch of the river. A topo is a good idea. Real good. You'll know where it is once you look at the map. You'll see lots of close contour lines on the east side of the west branch.

I seem to remember that it's about 2.5- 3km north of the highway.

If the river is frozen... that's the best way. Make sure it's got some good ice on it though. There's a couple of deep pools that you've gotta walk acrossed and the river flows pretty fast- you could get sucked under the ice- Alan almost was. There's a little (6-8') waterfall about 10 minutes before you get to the goods.

The other 2 options involve the GPS. The logging road to the west is probably plowed (watch out fer logging trucks). There's an abandon road that points straight east towards the falls. Bit of a journey though.

If the road to the east of the falls is plowed get yourself due east of the falls and head west. This would definitely a solid route if you luck out and the road is plowed.

I dunno who you'd talk to about the condition of logging roads out there- but I'm sure you could dig up the info with a bit of craftyness.

Mike

PS- Little Ass Diver is probably a better spot for a group. It's the first dirt road on the right past the sign that says Little Bass River. On the first left sweeping turn on the dirt road, there's an abandoned road that heads perpendicular from the apex of the curve (did that make sense?) hmmmm. It looks like this --( get it? Anyway you walk along that for about 10 minutes then follow a narrowing path down to the falls.

I'm pretty sure it's in the Waterfalls of Nova Scotia book. Otherwise...ask David- he's been there too.
mike

Moose River

Postby McVey » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:16 pm

I thrashed around there once before, without success.

I have the topo, but all the bunched contour lines are west of the West Branch, not east.

There are falls, and then a dam, marked about as you indicate.

I will see what folks are up for.

Peter
McVey

Postby Bert » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:01 pm

Peter,

At what time do you plan to leave and come back. I think all the french group (Alex, Simon and I ) would go. Maybe Sarah would come too.

It seams a bit hard to get there though. Always whlling for adventure anyway.

I have contacted some friend for your trip into the festiglace. I can give you their number. Marc and Suzie are great ice climbers. Suzie told me that it might be impossible to climb though du to the to warm temperature lately. The river is'nt frozen yet. Do not expect too much she said.

Probably gonna see you sunday anyway.

Bert.
Bert

Return to Nova Scotia