Time to move on

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Time to move on

Postby The Teth » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:04 am

I have resigned from the board of directors of Climb Nova Scotia. I have put a lot of hard work into this organization and feel I have accomplished lot. Now though I am becoming increasingly busy with other things, such as trying to prepare my dog for the National Agility championships in 2008. Aside from being busy with other things, I am just tired. I have put a lot of energy into CNS and I just don’t have much more to give.

Some of the highlights for me were finding a route to Sorrows End which did not cross private property so that our access cannot be blocked, negotiating the reopening of a cliff in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park, and the development of the Basics Instructor certification.

Some of the most draining parts of the job might include endlessly negotiating with park officials for access and endlessly debating over how the certification should be setup. Other draining parts of this job included reading provincial legislation over and over in order to determine the rights of climbers, and the protections for land owners, and then of course trying to explain these things to the land owners. Or, tracking down representative from other organizations to make sure things are OK, after some crackpot takes exception to an article in the newspaper about bouldering and calls claiming to represent several environmental groups and community organizations. Or figuring out what to tell a gym teacher who has built a climbing wall in a school and now needs to know how to teach safe climbing and convince the school’s insurance company that it is safe. It can be a thankless job being a member of the board, and even tougher to be president, or on the access comity, or to organize clinics (one job I thankfully managed to avoid).

I am still a proud member of Climb Nova Scotia......or....well....I would be if the dam Web site would let me renew my membership! It says my user name and password are already taken (yeah, by me) so I can’t submit a registration form. Which means I can’t use the Pay Pall option with my VISA card to renew my expired family membership. I want one of those calendars dam it!

Teth Cleveland
The Teth

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:18 am

Thanks Teth for what you have done for Nova Scotia climbing! :D
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:58 am

I'm sure its most often a thankless job, so even though I haven't lived in NS for 3 years now, I'll still say thank you.

Thanks to everyone who donates their time and energy for the climbing community.
granite_grrl

Postby tracstarr » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:52 pm

actually TETH it's quite simple to renew your membership. login to the site. click products then select the membership type you want to pay for. Check out. pretty simple. next time take a look before being pissed "at the damn website".
tracstarr

Postby tracstarr » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:56 pm

ps - if you were not a full paying member before Jan 1,2007. (so if your account expired...you are not considered a paying member) you most likley will not receive a calendar unless there are any left. It looks as if all calendars will go to members only this time. There are more members than thought, so the number of calendars bought will only cover them. If there are extras a post will be made.
tracstarr

Postby The Teth » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:10 pm

I believe, Keith, that I emailed you about this three times over the last four mouths and never received a response.

Teth
The Teth

Postby The Teth » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:13 pm

I guess I was just too stupid to figure this out on my own. When my membership expired in September I went to the purchase option and tried to purchase a family membership, but could not find a “Check Out” option anywhere. I tried this on several occasions. I emailed Keith a couple of times to find out what was going on.

In October I thought I would try registering again from scratch and filled out a membership form from the Register menu, but I could not find a purchase option on the form to pay for it. It seemed to work, but I had not payed. I emailed Keith to ask what was wrong? This was where the payment option was when the site was setup. I guess I must have been an idiot to look for membership renewal in the registration menu.

This time around I tried both places and the Registration form said my name was already taken and the purchase option had no checkout. Finally after criticizing the web site on the public forum I finally get some help.

So, for anyone else who is having trouble renewing their membership:

1) Fill out the registration form in the “Register” menu. Apparently this is a website registration and not a CNS registration.
2) Once you have registered, then log onto the site with your new user name and password.
3)Once you have logged on, THEN go to purchase and choose the membership option you wish to purchase. Apparently you can not purchase a membership unless you are logged on. If there was anything on the site to explain this, I was obviously to dance to notice.

Now, how do I check to make sure my wife’s contact information is correct? I am not sure if I even put it in.

I have been trying to renew my registration for months, but if I don’t deserve a calendar because I was to stupid to figure out how the web site works, then so be it.

Teth
The Teth

Postby martha » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:27 pm

tracstarr wrote:ps - if you were not a full paying member before Jan 1,2007. (so if your account expired...you are not considered a paying member) you most likley will not receive a calendar unless there are any left. It looks as if all calendars will go to members only this time. There are more members than thought, so the number of calendars bought will only cover them. If there are extras a post will be made.

Honestly, if Teth doesn't get a Calendar.... I declare CNS Idiots...

I would actually resign from the board if this happens.. because it is such a SLAP in the Face to him.

Teth... I'll probably get two of them, one for me and one for Fred... so I'll send you mine extra copy.

Cheers.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:21 pm

martha wrote:Honestly, if Teth doesn't get a Calendar.... I declare CNS Idiots...

I would actually resign from the board if this happens.. because it is such a SLAP in the Face to him.

Kinda what I was thinking.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Ken P » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:26 pm

tracstarr wrote:actually TETH it's quite simple to renew your membership. login to the site. click products then select the membership type you want to pay for. Check out. pretty simple. next time take a look before being pissed "at the damn website".

(Teth) Don't know the guy. Sure sounds like he's done alot for climbing in NS, a calendar and possibly a life memebership shouldn't be out of reason. :roll:
Ken P

Postby granite_grrl » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:22 pm

how much is a CNS membership anyway? and what sort of things does the money go to? I know it does go to organizing certain events, but does it go to much access stuff?

Nathan just sugested that I should join as a part of suporting climbing there. I never joined while I lived in NS, I was just a student at the time and didn't really feel I had the money, but I have the money now. And it would be nice someday to move back to NS.
granite_grrl

Postby ben smith » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:16 pm

Teth- you can have my calendar no problem (plus I'm having trouble finding a place for it in my house/ car)- thanks for all you've done to help support CNS is the past. Like granite_grrl said- its a thankless job and a pain in the ass a lot of the time- thanks from everyone for putting up with it for 4 years. Granite_grrl-CNS puts 500 dollars a side per year into an access fund- which can't be touched except for access related issues- to pay for lawyers etc. membership money also goes towards events like boulderfest and developement of certification processes so that we can run clinics- your membership can also save you money-I.e 10 bucks off boulderfest each year.
ben smith

Postby tracstarr » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:55 pm

too bad CNS won't help sponsor climbing events and clinics put on at GZ. Load of crap in my opinion. Just because "he's not a CNS certified instructor". CNS needs all the exposure it can take right now, it's self imploding pretty rapidly. There are very few people in the area that have the know how and experence to be qualified in any manner, and "he" is definatly one of the few.

A CNS qualification really means fiddly foo! all in this province legally. Yes, I do think it's a good idea that CNS works towards a qualification process and certification that can one day be truly recognized. THe problem is with low numbers and what i think 2 or 3 people still "qualified" by CNS standards right now.....things seriously need to be re evaluated.

anyway, too bad it's all talk and little action by everyone. There needs to be more community support and more involvement by everyone or I give this "organization" another 2 years tops before it vanishes.

O right, yeah teth pissed me off, so i said what i said. Don't go getting pissed at me because I didn't read your emails. It's easy enough that they got sent to the spam trash folder or otherwise. If you were that concerned you could have called me, much more reliable than email.

Hell, you're one of a very few number of people who actually want to renew your membership without someone hounding you. There's not reason to get bold with me.

He will get a calendar, so don't everyone get in a huf.
tracstarr

Postby Scooter » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:11 pm

Teth, big thanks for being a macho cns guru, you've done lots

personally, i do not know why everyone is attacking tracstarr, all he stated was that calendars are low, and its only fair to have a system in place-- so everyone doesnt register just for the calendar.

Don't recall reading that teth was not going to get one. Teth has done a lot for our climbing community, im sure CNS had full intentions on giving him one.

Afterall, it is only a calendar... i would hate to see people give up on cns and resign over such a small issue --- seems kind of irrational.

As for the website... I registered for a CNS member ship a few days ago without any problems.
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby ben smith » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:53 pm

err.... not to be a dick here (really) but weren't you the membership coordinator teth? why didn't you just add your name to the master list of CNS members and give the money to me or Conan?
ben smith

Postby granite_grrl » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:41 pm

ben smith wrote:Granite_grrl-CNS puts 500 dollars a side per year into an access fund- which can't be touched except for access related issues- to pay for lawyers etc. membership money also goes towards events like boulderfest and developement of certification processes so that we can run clinics- your membership can also save you money-I.e 10 bucks off boulderfest each year.

Being in Ontario I wouldn't have much of a chance to participate in clinics or boulderfest. But wanting to maybe move back there someday the access issues of today would affect me in the future.
granite_grrl

Postby szymiec » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:00 am

It just seems like a few people are having a few bad days.

I registered for CNS last year and never recieved so much as a reciept in the mail; let alone the illusive membership card i was promised. They gladly took my money however. Not very professional in my opinion.

Regardless, i never got carded at main face or first face so it was hardly an issue. I just assumed my $20 went to operating expenses for the access work they are doing.

Ill tell you all what i just told myself. Stop writing this fiddly foo! and go climbing!

C.
szymiec

Postby The Teth » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:18 pm

For those wondering why I insisted on trying to register on the web site, rather than just handing over the money at a CNS meeting, it was because I was the CNS Membership Coordinator. My intention was to figure out how to renew my membership on the web site, and then send out a mass email, or mail, to everyone who’s membership had expired, to let them know that they had expired (some my not have realized) and to explain the easy way to renew their membership. I just did not want to send this out until I could explain the correct way to renew.

Trackstar, since Sean T has always refused to get CNS certified, or even to allow CNS to recognise his qualifications, maybe we should abandon the CNS certification and support a Ground Zero certification instead. It would be a lot easier. Far less bureaucracy and all that.

I anyone signed up for a CNS membership on the web site and did not get a card, it was likely because the Membership Coordinator did not know that you had signed up. I suppose I should have phoned the Webmaster rather than relying on email, but unfortunately I am allergic to phones. OK, not really allergic, but I do hate the dam things. Until I can see the person I am talking to on the phone, I will stick to typing. Also, I usually give my spam folder a quick glance before emptying it. I have caught a number of important emails that way.

As for whether the money goes to access, most of the access work does not cost a cent. It is just a LOT of really hard work by a few unpaid individuals. However, there are exceptions, such as chipping in for gravel for the road to Paces Lake (both for our access, and to stay on good terms with the locals). If CNS does need money for access, they will likely need a lot of it, hens the access fund (Sean Kelly’s recent contribution to CNS policy).

Teth
The Teth

Postby Zamboni » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:53 pm

All this talk about the access fund gives me an Idea. If anybody wants to donate money to the access fund. Just mail us a check and I'll put it into the fund.

Conan.
Zamboni

Postby Zamboni » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:55 pm

Oh, and if you want a receipt for your access fund contribution, please ask and you shall receive.

Cb.
Zamboni

Tribute

Postby Webslinger » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:05 am

Teth,

On behalf of all the climbers who do not know how hard you worked for them, I would like to thank you.

I would also like to thank you personally and professionally for being one of the strongest and genuinely motivated board members that I had the pleasure of working with during my presidency and other roles.

Enjoy your retirement, I am.

Maybe one of these days we can actually climb together.
Cheers,

Chris Hayes
The Webslinger
Webslinger

Return to Nova Scotia