Ice Update - January 20, 2007

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Ice Update - January 20, 2007

Postby peter » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:47 pm

Mr. P and I did some wandering today. It was high tide, but you should be able to get some ideas about conditions from these pics. Next weekend is low tide mid-afternoon, so head to Fundy, folks:

http://pic1.piczo.com/mcmac-in-france/?g=27497735

Peter
peter

Postby Zamboni » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:58 pm

Give me a call when your heading out.

CB.
Zamboni

Postby ben smith » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:47 pm

I thought i'd post up on here- if any one is heading out Ice climbing and wants a partner or a belay slave- I'd be stoked to give it a try-
ben smith

Postby Zamboni » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:51 am

Hey peter,

This could be our 4th? Is there much chance of top roping? If he shower's before we leave, will you let him in the car?

CB.
Zamboni

Next Weekend

Postby peter » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:52 am

Yes, let's go to Hall's Harbour one day next weekend, invite to all. I am going to follow the weather and then do another post later in the week.

Ben can come if he showers before, and will submit to the usual "new guy" sponge bath afterwards. You remember that first day, eh Conan?
peter

Postby Zamboni » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:55 am

we said we weren't going to talk about it peter.. Remember I still have that picture of you.. Don't make me use it!..

CB.
Zamboni

Postby sand » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:37 am

I would really like to go learn ice climbing and I heard you guys don't mind to have girls coming along :) I only ice climbed once on a top rope in Val-St-Come about 7 years ago.... I loved it. Like Ben, I can belay and provide transportation but I am definitely not as tough.
Jen, would you be in on it too??
Sandrine
sand

ice

Postby peter » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:48 am

Sandrine: Please do plan to come, and bring a friend. Watch the board for the date and time (probably Sunday). We could meet you on the way out of town, like the Starbucks on the way to the highway by your place, and car pool from there, or pick you up at your townhouse. And yes, despite the obscure and terrifying (to Ben) references to mandatory initiation sponge baths, we do like to climb with women, too. As you and I have climbed together before, we will waive the requirement that you shower before getting in the car. Membership has its privileges. Peter
peter

Postby jnnfr » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:44 pm

I don't know if I'm tough enough for ice climbing... but we'll see Sandrine. Maybe you (or someone else) can talk me into it!
jnnfr

Postby Eager » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:39 pm

Got some Mega beta for those of you looking for new spots to climb, inland. 30, 40, 50 fters and easier to get into than Moose river.
Eager

Postby Eager » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:43 pm

Might I add I have a All Terrain Vehicle so if your looking for shuttles into nasty spots I'm more than happy to run anyone into the sheeeeit. eagertoclimb@hotmail.com
Eager

Ice, Next Weekend

Postby peter » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:21 am

You don't have to be tough to ice climb. You just have to have warm clothes and sturdy boots, some food and water, and a willingness to give it a try. There is a range of difficulty among the climbs at Hall's Harbour. It will be top-roping, so the fall risk is minimal, although there is always risk from ice fall and your own tools. The most physically demanding thing, for me, has always been not freezing my hands, or living with it when I do. Give it a go!
peter

Postby Scooter » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:46 am

Oh hells ya im in
get some!

I hear you can wear ski boots. this true?
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby sand » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:46 am

Yep, ski boots it is for me!! I got a pair for 4$ at Value Village last night, I'm all ready to go. Peter, unless a blizzard is forecasted, I will be there on Sunday, maybe alone, maybe with Jen and Jeremy, but I will bring water and a seocnd pair of gloves (or mitts). The starbucks by the irving is a great place to meet to start the day with a 'grande apple cider' This is going to be awesome!!
Sandrine
sand

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:07 am

jnnfr wrote:I don't know if I'm tough enough for ice climbing... but we'll see Sandrine. Maybe you (or someone else) can talk me into it!

Oh geez, better watch out, ice climbign is addictive. And then its expensive. A dangerous combination.
granite_grrl

Postby The Teth » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:51 pm

A tip. Get some glove liners form MEC to ware under whatever gloves you plan to use. Makes a big difference. Also, those thin sock liners under your wool socks. Some silk longjohns to round it out and your extremities are less likely to freeze. This is a small strategic investment which will make a big difference and is useable for other activities.

Teth
The Teth

Postby jnnfr » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:27 pm

Okay granite_grrl, you have pretty much talked me out of it. At least for now! I'm trying to get packed up and ready to move - I don't have the time to get addicted, or the money to spend :) Although if the cold weather stays, I would be interested in trying later on this winter, once I'm a little more settled.
Thanks for the invite though guys.
jnnfr

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:50 pm

Sorry, I didn't really want to talk you out of it :(. But it is addictive :twisted: .

Actually if you get out to try it and do decide you like it you can start looking for deals on second hand gear for next year. I started collecting my gear in the fall and got new tools for $200 for the pair), $40 for a big TNF down jacket (new at the store), $60 for a pair of boots (secondhand), and a dry rope from MEC for $80 (??). This fall I got a pair of gortex bids for $100 from EMS.

The one thing I did shell out the big bucks for was a good pair of gloves, $80 or $90 USD down at the Daks last winter 'cause it was so freakn' cold! But they're awesome.
granite_grrl

Return to Nova Scotia