Ice Climbing, January 27-28

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Ice Climbing, January 27-28

Postby peter » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:29 pm

Does it matter to anyone committed to coming, which day we climb this weekend?

It doesn't matter in terms of the tide, but there is a slightly different forecast for Kentville, depending on the day:

"Saturday Cloudy. High minus 5. Sunday A mix of sun and cloud with 70 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 8. High minus 3."

I normally opt for Sunday, regardless, as it is traditionally a day of rest, so we should go ice climbing.

Thoughts?
peter

Postby darrell » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:47 pm

I will be in Kentville for the weekend and plan on going to Hall's Harbour on Saturday. If anyone is interested, post a reply, or send me an email (Darrell.Steele@Aliant.ca). I have an extra pair of men's boots (size 9 1/2 or 10),extra crampons, and a couple of extra harness, in case that helps.
darrell

Re: Ice Climbing, January 27-28

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:02 pm

peter wrote:Does it matter to anyone committed to coming, which day we climb this weekend?

Wouldn't someone committed to climbing be climbing Sat. & Sun.? :twisted:
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Zamboni » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:16 pm

I normally work Sundays, and took this Sunday off. So that means I'm working Saturday. If you guys are going saterday i'm out. If your going sunday I'm in. Mr. Steele, any chance we might be able to borrow the boots a crampons this sunday, that is if we go sunday.

Conan.
Zamboni

Postby ben smith » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:59 pm

can't do saturday- I'd be in for sunday especially if those boots are available
ben smith

Postby sand » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:43 am

I'm in for Sunday only as well...
Sandrine
sand

Sunday It Is

Postby peter » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:01 am

Okay, Sunday it is. Let us meet as follows:

(1) at 8:30 a.m. at Steve-O-Renos Coffee Shop on Brunswick Street & Doyle, which is just north of Spring Garden, behind the central library, departing there a few minutes after; and

(2) at the Kearney Lake Road / Hwy 102 Junction, Tim Horton's, at 9:00 a.m., departing there a few minutes after.

This allows people to leave unnecessary cars at one of these locations. If you are picking people up elsewhere before then, and have room for more, please work out the timing in advance so you can be at one or both of these locations, to take more.

I have room for two more people, confortably, assuming Parker is riding shotgun in my vehicle. Sandrine, I can pick you up at your place, around 8:45 a.m., if this works for you?

Organization:

Anyone who does not have a vehicle, please post here, or email me at mcmac@hfx.eastlink.ca, if you need a ride. You can also phone me at 453-6610, but keep in mind what time a traditional, nuclear family might go to bed at night (not necessarily the same time as a climber might).

Conan: can you please throw the CNS crampons, tool, and a couple of helmets in your truck, assuming it is okay for us to use this stuff? Crampons, especially the strap on ones, are most important. Long slings and ropes would be great as well.

Safety/Risk:

This is an "everyone is welcome, but it is for climbers" event. So, you should be able to put on a harness, tie in to a rope, adjust a helmet, as these are all necessary skills.

Everyone who attends is helpful, friendly, and willing to share experience and knowledge, in a pleasant manner, in my experience. Please come if you have climbed indoors, outside, but never on ice, and bring a friend, even if they just want to watch or give it a try.

However, this is just a group of climbers, going ice climbing and inviting along people interested. No organization is running this program, and there is no formal teaching or training going on. You are voluntarily assuming all risk by attending.

Ice climbing is inherently dangerous, like all climbing, but with sharp, pointy things in your hands and on your feet, and with the surface you are climbing on inherently unstable and prone to either make you slip and plunge to your death (if you are standing at the top), or break off and fall on you, while climbing, standing around or belaying.

Please bring a helmet, or borrow one when near the ice face. Please stay away from the top of the climbs, unless you are experienced with ice climbing, wearing crampons, and tied in to a safety line. Please watch for ice fall at all times, and call out any ice you knock off while climbing, by shouting either "ice" or "glace", as is your persuasion.

Let's get on some ice, folks. The clock is ticking on the season.
peter

Postby Zamboni » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:20 am

I only have the Black Dimond Crampon's. Why will only work with ski boots or Ice climbing boots. I can bring everything else you've asked for, ropes I'm not sure what one's are treated for ice climbing.

I can provide a ride for 4 people but you must be at the Kearney Lake Road Tim hortons.

Conan.
Zamboni

Conan

Postby peter » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:42 am

Thanks my friend.

And everybody: please note. The hat Conan is wearing in his Avatar photo is not a certified climbing helmet, despite the facial expression being that of a dedicated ice climber in motion.
peter

Postby ThomP » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:20 am

I may have the strap-ons...I'll bring them along if I do.

Thom
ThomP

Postby sand » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:04 am

Great plan!! Peter, that's sounds awesome, I'll be ready and waiting for you by 8:40. Jeremy will be coming along as well. He has experience and crampons... I don't, but hopefully soon enough I will get both!
Sandrine
sand

Sunday

Postby peter » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:48 am

I hear Jeremy climbs trees and telephone poles in the backcountry in his crampons all summer, just to stay in shape. Is this true ... ?
peter

Postby sand » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:43 pm

it is true, I have seen it myself!!
Sandrine
sand

Postby darrell » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:11 am

Looks like I'll come out and meet you guys on Sunday - Doesn't look like anyone's up for today. I'll bring the extra boots / crampons. I guess you guys will be there around 11am?
darrell

Postby Scooter » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:28 am

conan i dibbs shotgun!!!
errr.... can you boulder ice?
just kidding
see you tomorrow
peace
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby prof » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:28 am

Hi folks,

I've been lurking on the list for a while waiting for the ice climbing to get underway so when I saw this thread I realised it was time to get cracking and try to remember another password :-/ So if noone's peeved at me jumping on the bandwagon at the last possible moment, I'd love to come along. This is my first full winter in Canada and I've talked to a number of people about the ice climbing here throughout the year and am keen to give it a shot.

I used to live in the UK so have done Scottish climbing but I've never been on waterfall ice. I've most necessary gear but no rope, lid, or tools (lent to a friend in Scotland, yet to be returned :( ). I've only been bouldering and top-roping at the gym since I arrived in Halifax so my rope skills may be a little rusty. On the plus side, I've also a pickup so am happy to transport one 'normal' person and one contortionist (a navigator will probably be required).

I'll be at Steve-o-reno's tomorrow, I'm assuming that I'll recognise the climbers! If there's any problems or stuff I need to bring then let me know.

Cheers, Graeme

ps. I'm assuming this will be a full day on the hill?
prof

Prof

Postby peter » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:52 am

Graeme:

You are exactly the sort of bloke on the invite list, then. Steve-O-Renos it is, and look for folks in Goretex and boots. The coffee shop opens at 8:00, or else stay in your truck if the hours have changed. We have tools to spare, as only two or three pairs can be used at one time, and there will be at least twice that number available. Helmets are mandatory near the face, but with the tide out, it is easy to stay away when not climbing or belaying, and borrow a lid when you are.

The biggest risk tomorrow will be the cold, particularly the windchill, as it is a full day out, a couple of kms from our vehicles. A thermos and your warmest clothes are in order, and probably some form of face protection would be wise (exposed coastal location).

One of our most pleasant ice days, 3 or 4 years ago, included a sponateous demonstration by a young Scots climbing of the old, Aberdeen style of ice climbing: one long tool, a pair of stiff, leather boots, and no crampons, with progress made by cutting small foot and hand holds on a short vertical ice route, solo. It reminded us the world is a bigger place than just Nova Scotia, and there is always something to learn for people passing through or staying.
peter

Postby prof » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:57 pm

I'm very glad to hear it Peter. I'm hoping that Steve-o-Renos is open from 8 as I'll be in desperate need of a coffee no doubt! Thanks for the tips on the day/cold. So you're saying that it may be a tad breezy for a kilt?!
prof

CNS

Postby peter » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:34 pm

I am wearing my kilt, but might break down and wear briefs beneath, given the winds expected.

I checked Steve-O-Reno's today, and it does open at 8:00 a.m..

P.
peter

Postby Zamboni » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:49 pm

FYI, two spots are spoken for at the karney lake departure point. 2 still open. Cost of transportation, MUST BRING COOKIES.

CB.
Zamboni

Postby sand » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:18 pm

You like chocolate cookies?? Just made some tonight and will bring them tomorrow.... only thing is there is absolutely nothing non-fattening in them, not that I think it will matter to anyone!
Sandrine
sand

Return to Nova Scotia