Zen and climbing talk in april

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Zen and climbing talk in april

Postby ben smith » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:51 pm

My dad is the reverend of the atlantic soto zen center, a local center practicing the soto sect of buddhism (which essentially endorses sitting and staring at a wall until you understand how you fit into the world)- they usually run 1 hour talks on the first monday of every month with public participation on a general interest topic.
The topic for april is going to be "Zen and the art of Rockclimbing" a talk about how people start rock climbing or practicing zen and some parallels between climbing and Zen (example- both have a big component of staring at walls). Personally I found a lot of parallels between bouldering and zen- lots of focusing on spending a disproportionate amounts of time on an essentially useless activity to understand yourself.

I'd be psyched if other members of the climbing community came to check it out- should be a good talk and audience involvement is pretty important- I'd like to see how other people feel about climbing. questions can either go to bn948751 (at) dal (dot) ca or revjamessmith (at) atlanticsotozencenter (dot) com.
ben smith

Postby The Mitt » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:39 pm

That sounds really cool.

Mitt
The Mitt

Talk

Postby peter » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:42 pm

Am I correct that this is 7:00 p.m. April 2, 2007, at the Zen Soto Center on Barrington? Sound interesting. Peter
peter

Postby Nate » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:03 pm

"The date for the discussion is April 2nd at 8:00 p.m. in the Integrative Practice Center, 4th floor of the Vogue Building, 1649 Barrington St. The entrance is just to the left of the entrance to Vogue Optical on Barrington."

"There is a buzzer to the left of the door in case it is locked, however, there should be someone present at the door to open it from 7:50 till 8:00 and anyone who wants to arrive at 7:00 p.m. to take part in the newcomers session (instruction on the history and method of Zen) is welcome. The info is also available on the Zendo web site http://atlanticsotozencenter.com/"

"The talk will be advertized in local papers, dal radio, etc the same as other events which the Zen Center sponsors so there may be people there who do not necessarily have a background in climbing or Zen but simply want to listen to the discussion. There is no admission fee but there will be a donation bowl which people can put a donation in towards expenses if they wish."

should be cool....

Nate
Nate

Postby cstamp » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:32 pm

I have already transcended space and time. Wait -space not time. i don't know what your talking about. Maybe I should go.
cs
cstamp

Postby nsagar » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:56 am

I spend hours of time looking at boulders wondering where I fit into the world...sounds great! Don't we all? I'll be there if I'm in Halifax....see you all there. :D
nsagar

Postby nsagar » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:03 am

Maybe the whole CNS board should go there and listen??? Hahaha... :P
nsagar

Postby martha » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:44 am

I think that is great. I wish I lived in Hali because I'd be there for sure. :)
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Zamboni » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:59 pm

careful Nic, your wife is on board!
Zamboni

Postby ben smith » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:03 am

hey, just wanted to remind people, this talk is coming up next monday, again it should be pretty cool (climbing session after??)
ben smith

Postby tracstarr » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:20 am

bump.
tracstarr

Return to Nova Scotia