Ice Climbing - Feb 10/11

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Ice Climbing - Feb 10/11

Postby peter » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:37 am

We are looking at a frosty week this week, particularly at night. The ice that is "in" should not be going anywhere, unless it shatters in the cold ... As well, the tides are decent if not perfect for the Fundy coast next weekend, high tide around 6:00 p.m. both days.

Some thought is being given to a trip in to Moose River or environs, up behind Parsboro. If there is much snow this week, this might eliminate the option of driving in via Eager's Jeep.

Another option would be an overnight, or a trip to Advocate Harbour, or a road trip to New Brunswick.

How many climbers are we looking at for next weekend, at this point? What sort of time commitment are people in for?

Peter
peter

Postby Zamboni » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:16 am

I'm up for it. Sunday. If there's alot of people coming, I'd say the vally, 3 ropes. Moose River is high, prob too hight for top rope.

CB.
Zamboni

Postby mike » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:34 pm

Advocate Harbour is a bit of a battle (read a bit- not a big bit) to get to. You've gotta walk the trail to the light house and then wiggle your way through skidoo trails and turn to the beach at just the right place- not fun for a big group without someone who knows the way. There is a big mofo line there though. I'd guess it to be a solid 4+, 250'. Nice.

On the other hand- Moose River.... may I suggest a multi-pitch top rope?
Send a couple of scouts down into the gorge to eye a good belay stance, have em direct someone up top to the finish of a nice line, rap down to the stance and build an anchor... might be fun. Tying a bit of string to the climber end of the top rope might be a good idea to retrieve the end of the rope for the next climber.

38C again today. Gawd Dammit!
Mike
mike

Postby Eager » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:26 pm

I'm in for Fundy myself. Moose River is awesome but Fundy is a better venue for getting lots of ice time in.
Eager

Postby jeremy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:38 pm

i'm in for sunday

jeremy
jeremy

Postby Zamboni » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:53 pm

CNS just picked up another set of ice tools. We know have 2 sets of crampons, and 2 sets of tools.

My truck can take 4 and gear. The bus will depart 9am sharp from the Tim Hortons on Karney lake rd. Post here to reserve!

CB.
Zamboni

Postby ben smith » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:38 pm

I'm psyched for sunday!
ben smith

Postby Danger » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:39 pm

I'd be down for sure...
Have no ice gear, but have gone out on the ice before and can be a mighty fine belay bitch. Also have car, and could do a whole weekend worth of adventure.

Cheers,
Roger
rfage@dal.ca
Danger

Sunday Ice

Postby peter » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:34 am

Sounds like a plan for a funday on Sunday on Fundy. Weather looks decent through the weekend, and Sunday is slightly better for tides.

Maybe Hall's Harbour is the best bet, and let's see if the left has shaped up at all (a lot less walking, two methods of access).

Baxter's probably still has an 'interesting' start, judging by Jeremy's post last week.

Canada Creek hasn't come in for a couple of years, perhaps due to water diversion, but what changes one way can change another.

There are lots of other possibilities, but none as certain as Hall's Harbour.
peter

Postby sand » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:46 am

If I feel good enough (I am getting wisdom teeth removed tomorrow), I'll come out on sunday, even if it's just to spend the day outside. If not, I'll just stay home by the fireside reading or knitting :wink:
Sandrine
sand

Postby Fred » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:06 pm

Sand,

you'll likely be home sucking back on a bottle of Tylenol 3's. I was anyways.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:39 pm

sand wrote:If I feel good enough (I am getting wisdom teeth removed tomorrow), I'll come out on sunday, even if it's just to spend the day outside. If not, I'll just stay home by the fireside reading or knitting :wink:

knitting sounds like a great plan...

don't worry about the pain. Fred is a pansy.

I had all 4 out at once and it was no biggie. Fred thought it was the end of the world. :lol: :lol: I think girls are just tough.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:25 pm

martha wrote:
sand wrote:If I feel good enough (I am getting wisdom teeth removed tomorrow), I'll come out on sunday, even if it's just to spend the day outside. If not, I'll just stay home by the fireside reading or knitting :wink:

knitting sounds like a great plan...

don't worry about the pain. Fred is a pansy.

I had all 4 out at once and it was no biggie. Fred thought it was the end of the world. :lol: :lol: I think girls are just tough.

I got all 4 out at once too while I was in university. Couldn't concentrate on my classes it hurt so much.

I will admit I'm a sissy when it come to pain.....but man, did it hurt!!!!
granite_grrl

Postby sand » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:48 pm

I heard that some people are like if nothing happen after a day, but others suffers for weeks if infection gets in... I am hoping for a quick recovery... but yea ice climbing would be pushing it....
Sandrine
sand

Postby prof » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:26 pm

Another trip to Fundy sounds awesome. I am well up for a Sunday sess despite my knuckles still being bruised from last time (maybe I'll work on some technique this time!). I'm happy to drive and have room for 2 if necessary. Is it same bat time, same bat channel Sunday morning Peter?
prof

Postby Fred » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:54 pm

I only had one tooth/removal that cause me great pain. It just so happened it was the one that took the longest and most force to get out. Pain will depend on how bad they are impacted I think and how hard the extraction goes... but don't quote me on that, I'm not an orthodontist (spell?).

sorry for hijacking this ice thread. :oops:
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Sunday

Postby peter » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:16 am

Graeme:

Aye, same plan, 8:30 Steve O Renos. Walk up if its no bother, or email me about a pick up.

Peter
peter

Postby Holly Reid » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:33 pm

Sandrine! :D

It's too bad you didn't make it up for the film fest/comp. As for the wisdom teeth... sounds a little crazy I know, but I had a great time when I got mine out... and I was fine within a day. I had all four out, didn't take any tylenol at all and wasn't in any pain. That being said, my older sister, with a pain tolerance of -25 (haha), was out for about a week... and complained the entire time. :S

Anyway, hope it goes well and you get ice climbing soon. :D You coming up for Tour de Bloc?

Holly :D
Holly Reid

Sunday Ice

Postby peter » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:09 pm

My icy friends:

I have been laid low with a nasty lung and cough condition, and standing around in sub-zero temperatures on Sunday would be more foolish than even my standards of foolishness. (Actually, standing around two weekends in a row with this condition would be more foolish than even my standards, is what I should say.)

Who can take care of rounding up participants, gathering gear, and generally make sure a good time is had by all, this Sunday? I have a few CNS long slings at my house, but otherwise only personal gear. My car might be missed, though.

It means a swing by Steve O Renos around 8:30, and the Tim Horton's for 9:00, just in case anyone is there that we don't know about in advance.

Peter

PS, I got my wisdom teeth out once, too, but feel no less wise for it. What's that about, anyway? I only had two out, so is it because I remain half as smart?

PPS, And why is the "pm" button so small on this website, that no one seems able to find it, when they want to share tangential thoughts with their friends?

Signed, Grumpy Dwarf, cough, cough
peter

Postby prof » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:34 pm

That's disappointing news Peter but probably sensible. Is anyone else planning on meeting at Steve-o-Reno's? I'll be there at 8:30 and can take 2 (or 3 at a real squeeze). I'll then go to Timmy's and could pick up some people on the way out of town if you give me a shout.

WRT Tim's, Google maps doesn't show one on Kearney Lake Dr, is it the one on the Bedford Hwy near the south end or on Hammonds Plains Rd near the north end of Kearney Lake Dr (or has Mr Google got it wrong)?
prof

Timmy's

Postby peter » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:04 pm

It is at exit 3, off the 102, where Kearney Lake Road passes under the highway. It is somewhat elevated on you right, last driveway before the north-bound ramp to the 102. So, driving up Kearney Lake Road from the Bedford Highway, it is the last group of buildings, save perhaps a highway motel, before you drive under the 102. I think it is at or just after a stop light, and there is a gas station across the street. Best recollection.
peter

Kearney Lake Road

Postby peter » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:07 pm

Or is that exit 2?

Anyway, you get the drift.
peter

Postby Danger » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:50 pm

Hi Prof,
I'm planning on going out, and was planning at meeting at Steve-o's. I also have a car, but it doesn't look like there's a need for it.
I'll meet you there if that's most convenient for you.
Roger
Danger

Postby prof » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:54 pm

Cheers for that Peter, that'll get me there.

Roger, I can meet you at Steve-O's no worries. I'll be wearing a grey fleece with a crossed axes logo and sucking down a double latte so should be reasonably obvious.

Graeme
prof

Postby The Teth » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:36 pm

I had all four wisdom teeth out at once. Took a Tylenol three for the ride home, and then did not bother taking pain killers after that. Went back to my construction job demolishing walls with a sledge hammer the next day. It did hurt though. Had to eat pudding for a week.

Teth
The Teth

Postby Zamboni » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:37 pm

I'll meet you guys at the tim hortons found at the intersection, of Kearney Lake Road & Parkland dr. set of lights

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&q= ... 14591&om=1

Peter, are you around saterday? Can I pick up the webbing?

Cb.
489-6924
Zamboni

Postby Danger » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:39 pm

One more question, which steve-o's? on Robie or by the public library?
Cheers,
Roger
Danger

Postby Zamboni » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:41 pm

public library
Zamboni

Postby sand » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:40 pm

Well, I only have 28 teeth now and I feel really good. I was out of the dentist office within 30 minutes. For all day yesterday I couln't feel anything and now I take pain killers every 8 hrs, but really I feel good! I will definitely come out on Sunday, but probably not climb very much if at all.
Holly, I am not sure about the comp in march, I will look into coming to it...sorry I didn`t make it last weekend, it would have been good to see you!!

Tim's at 0900 on Kearny lake road this Sunday it is.
Sandrine
sand

Postby Zamboni » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:41 am

Just a thought?

Who has ropes?

CB.
Zamboni

Next

Return to Nova Scotia