finally.....new video posted

Postby tracstarr » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:32 pm

tracstarr

Postby dcentral » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:38 pm

nice vid.
dcentral

Postby Fred » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:05 pm

nice top-out on 'Captain Hook?' :P
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

yeah i know..

Postby denise » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:11 pm

i need some work on those!

:oops: denise
denise

Postby Fred » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:08 pm

well I can't even climb that stupid problem so ur doing much better than I am ;)

was just teasing anyways. Nice send.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby denise » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:09 pm

well thanks..

but i'm with you. i laughed out loud when i saw it.

d
denise

Postby Scooter » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:35 pm

wicked video
nice editing
Scooter

great cutting

Postby shannon » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:28 pm

K,

Nice job. I like the cutting on the action on the hold grabs. Looking forward to seeing the dvd. the commentary in the bg is sweet!

shannon
shannon

Postby dcentral » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:45 pm

That's a sexy logo too.
dcentral

Postby mitchleblanc » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:46 pm

Hey man, sweet vid. I'm impressed. Long too!

I will offer some constructive criticism, if you are interested, though I'm sure you know most of what I'm gonna say:

a) I felt the music was a bit slow, and over the course of a long vid, became a bit repetitive. Could you break a long song/set into shorter parts? Though I guess it was just one boulder... Dunno. My attention span makes me better suited to small clips.

b) I think you need to get more "top down" shots. The butt shots thing is ok for a brief moment but...

c) I think there needs to be less camera movement? More editing to keep camera movement down? Makes for a jerky ride. Blair Witch Project.

Anyway, I just thought I'd offer some comments rather than just saying "wicked video", which it is... Don't get me wrong, I couldn't make one half as good if my life depended on it.

Keep 'em comin'.
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby tracstarr » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:56 pm

Hey man, thanks so much for that. THat's what i'm looking for, some 'constructive' critisim. Definatly some points there that i'm well aware of, and i'm working on figuring everything out still. Camera angles are a pain, I can't get the right mix... and when i concentrate on trying to get different shots i miss the climb or it gets sent on the first or second try. I think for those kind of things i'd have to ask the climber to do it multiple times for the shot. BUT, i'll definatly try for some more top down shots to see how they work out.

definatly know how you feel on the attention span stuff, i'm the same. Sometimes i get lazy with em. I want to show everything, which makes vids long. and music, it's the hardest part i find. takes me hours to try and get something good for audio... in the end i'm rarley satisfied.

In the end, it's just gonna take time i guess to figure out the right combo and get things flowing great. I mean hey, i've only been doing this flowers a few months now. I totally appreciate the comments .... I'll work on it harder :)

ps - one of the next vids is REALLY slow... so careful... but i felt i wanted to show the entire process of working out a first ascent.
tracstarr

Postby mitchleblanc » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:08 pm

Hey dude,

I think to make a good video you've got no choice but to have multiple cameras, or get the poor climber to do multiple ascents! Stuart (hongkongclimbing.com) used to get tons of ascents on film, from lots of angles, so that you don't miss anything. As long as you are aware of continuity (no changing shirts between shots, no moving crashpads, changing spotters etc) the repeat ascents won't be noticeable to the viewer... at least not the casual viewer who isn't looking for it.

I think working out an ascent (showing lots of falls etc..) is fine, it's the single continous climb and slow tempo that are hard on our year 2000 attention spans.

As for picking music... I can't offer any more advice.. fast and upbeat? Try to edit to the music, if you can? Dunno. Keep up the good work anyway!
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby tracstarr » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:17 am

yeah, most people aren't up for the multiple sends....espically when it's hard enough the first time... lol... and when all we want to do is crank... so i just go with the flow and hope i get some stuff i can use.

anyway, there are 2 more vids up... not super exciting...but new, so enjoy...or not :)
tracstarr

Return to Nova Scotia