Ice Climbing 27 Feb

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Ice Climbing 27 Feb

Postby climberwannabe » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:43 am

Hey guys, anyone into climbing this weekend? Last night I went down to Margaretville to scope out some of the ice there... its pretty small. But I got a tip from a friend at work that there is some huge ice down by Granville Ferry (north of Annapolis Royal). I am going to check it out tonight/tomorrow given the weather is decent. Apparently there is some 200 foot cliffs there with ice on 'em so that might be pretty sweet. More info to follow.

Steve
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby The Teth » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:20 pm

That means 80 feet if your friend is a climber, and only about 50 feet if your friend is not a climber. Still, it is definitely worth checking out.
The Teth

Postby brad w » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:24 pm

Hey Steve that sounds pretty sweet. Please post what you find. I have missed the last two weeks out so I am getting pretty primed for another day on some ice. If that does not work out I am assuming that Fundy ice will be hard to get to this coming week due to tides???
Let us all know and looking forward to it.
brad w

oopsie

Postby climberwannabe » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:15 pm

Aww man, I drove for like 2 hrs looking for this spot and I didnt find it. Its down by Victoria Beach. Its called Marry's Pisser. Apparently its a huge ass frozen water fall, and judging by the height of the road its gotta be pretty damn far down to the water. I need to bring the guy who told me about it to show me though... any better possibilites this weekend? I found some nice looking ice in Margaretville but its pretty small. And nothing for top rope anchors on the climbable stuff.

Steve
climberwannabe

Fundy Ice

Postby peter » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:03 pm

High Tide at 1:30 p.m., dude, but otherwise a good idea.

We need some ice above the tide line.

Perhaps around Gulliver's Head (south of Gulliver's Cove), which is south of Digby. Park at the wharf and walk left to the cliff ("Head"). The cliff is above a scree slope, and hence above the tide. It also stretches into the distance toward Trout Cove/Sandy Cove ...

P.
peter

Climbing Sunday Feb. 27/04

Postby peter » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:04 pm

Oh yeah, and I can't be anywhere before noon this Sunday, as it is the tail end of my daughter's birthday sleepover party.

Peter
peter

Postby Bert » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:52 pm

Why not go on saturday instead of sunday. I'd like to keep my sunday to study...

Bert.
Bert

Ice Climbing

Postby Postman » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:07 am

There are 3 Climbs side by side just east of Victoria Harbour. Easy walk in. Grade 5, 4, 3-3+ all around 75ft'. Spent a few hours on the ice yesterday and would give the area a 4 star rating. Good qualtity ice for lead and lots of bomber trees for top roping. I have had the opportunity to do shore crawls with a Helicopter and have found most of the good climbs between Halls and Port George. I will be going on Saturday to teach and new friend to the sport.

Cheers!
Geoff
Geoff Postle
Postman

sounds good???

Postby climberwannabe » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:15 pm

I am totally up for saturday Bert... unless this totally breaks tradition of CNS Sunday Ice days?!!! Where shall we go? I have to work evenings (start at 245 pm) but I can be late for work... It'd be nice to not venture too far from the comfort and easy uniform change of my home. Oh and I just ordered some crampons from MEC, SO STOKED. They'll be in next week. Watch, all the ice will melt and fall of Monday. I just know it will.

Steve
climberwannabe

Climbing Saturday

Postby peter » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:13 am

I will ask "she who must be obeyed" about Saturday.
peter

Return to Nova Scotia