Herring cove

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Herring cove

Postby Ben Smith » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:17 pm

Hey does anyone know if you can get to herring cove bouldering on a bus route? I am poor and carless so directions would be rad. thanks
Ben Smith

Postby The Teth » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:55 pm

You can get to within a kilometre of Haring Cove on the bus. One option is to take the bus to York Redoubt (the fort on the Percel’s Cove road). That would be what, route 15? Not sure better check that. Anyway, it is mostly a downhill walk from there to Haring Cove bouldering area.

Other option is to take the bus to the community of Haring Cove, and then walk out the Percel’s Cove road to the bouldering area.

For map check out:
http://members.tripod.com/novascotiacli ... ing_c.html

OK, my Haring Cove map could have been better..

Teth
The Teth

bouldering

Postby climberwannabe » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:18 pm

can you boulder with gloves on? Cause its way too cold to hold on to rock without gloves on for me. I think I want to try this bouldering you speak of. Sounds cheaper than ice climbing.

Steve
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby The Teth » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:47 am

At this time of year, look for a rock in the sun. Anything south facing. The sun will heat the rock to quite a bit warmer than the air. A rock in the shade on a cold day can leave your hands a bit numb. If you are more hard-core you just try to worm your hands between burns, but you are probably not that hard-core yet, so look on the sunny side of rock.

Haring Cove faces east so it is best to climb there earlier in the day.

Teth
The Teth

Postby ben » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:39 pm

Hey Teth thanks, the 15 is the bus to york redoubt. Before you turn left onto the york redoubt road, to get to herring cove would you continue striaght on the highway or is herring cove before Y R on the 15 bus route?
ben

Postby The Teth » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:13 pm

Continue straight along the highway. I have only done it in the car, so I am not certain how far it is, but it is all downhill, and I would estimated it to be no more than a mile. The bus that goes to Haring Cove might be a better destination on the way back so you can avoid walking mostly uphill.

Teth
The Teth

spelling!!!

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:13 pm

:shock: for the love of God, please TETH, learn how to spell!!!!! atleast learn how to spell the names of climbing areas, etc. you are the president of a climbing organization representing other climbers.

It's HERRING Cove, not "Haring" Cove. it's not phonetic.

Postby The Teth » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:23 pm

Sorry. They are replacing the carpet in the office this weekend. My atlas and dictionary are packed up in boxes. Besides, it is Friday and I am lazy.

Oh...and I have the paperwork to plea dyslexia, although it probably has more to do with it being Friday.

hteT eht
The Teth

Kidston Lake

Postby C.Eager » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:08 pm

Not sure if anyone is interested, but there is a area in Sprytown called Kidston Lake with about 15 quality lines and a few projects. A decent area for anyone willing to take the bus. It's near Elizabeth Sutherland school and you can take the 14 or 20 to get there. I'd take the 20 to Herrring Cove it's quicker and less of a walk than the 15, but York redoubt has some good stuff and if you look around enough there's probably some new lines to be done.
C.Eager

Postby ben » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:34 am

stoked thanks Chris i'll probable head out on wednesday. And for the person making fun of Teths spelling get a frigging life eh.
ben

Postby Zamboni » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:21 pm

Eager!

Are you back in town yet? How was the trip / job?

Conan.
Zamboni

Postby C.Eager » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:52 am

Yeah I just got back today, My trip was pretty successful, warm climate, good working conditions, Southeast Sandstone, and a free roundtrip airfare to anywhere in north america for giving up my seat yesterday in Detroit. They put me up in the Hilton and gave me $60 us for food. Not a bad trip at all. All I have to say about the bouldering in the southeast is that it's the bomb. I hit the Triple Crown, Horse Pens, Rocktown and LRC. All awesome quality sandstone. T-shirt weather, for anyone planning a winter road trip it's definately a good spot to spend a extended period of time.
C.Eager

Return to Nova Scotia