Granite crag near(ish) Antigonish

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Granite crag near(ish) Antigonish

Postby MarkR » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:30 am

No really...
I noticed this crag last winter, explored it with a view to developing it, but realized that it was a bit beyond me and then developed an addiction to flyfishing...
I'm now back in BC so it is a bit far for me to work on. :o)
It is solid granite, same as other granite areas in NS.
It is about an hours drive from Antigonish, near Sherbrooke.
The main crag is on the other side of Fifth lake from the 211 highway. I think it is actually called Fifth lake mountain.
It is easily accessed from the 211. Follow the trail that leads across the land between fifth and sixth lakes. Cross the creek (easy) and continue along trail up small hill. As the trail bends sharply left head into the woods. The other end of the trail can be accessed from Nimrod's campground.
I have partially flagged two possible routes through the woods which both end up at the same place on the other side of the hill. Follow the flagging across the little creek (careful, the creek looks fragile) and you are at the bottom of the mountain in the presence of many boulders (they didn't look promising). If you follow some flagging straight up the hill after the triangular boulder you will come to some nice looking little crags with some potential for short routes including a nice looking crack. If you follow the flagging along the lake you eventually come to the main crag after crossing a small steep creek. There looked to be some interesting routes here some of which would be well over 20 metres.
Access to the top of the routes at the little crags was tough but do-able. It looks even tougher at the large crag. Might be easier to clean on aid.
Photos you say? I will try and post them shortly.
I hope I haven't trodden on any toes by posting this, I meant to do it a long time ago...
I hope someone develops this area as that area of the province is a bit short on climbing.
Some other possible areas included another ship island (greywacke maybe) between Liscomb and sheet harbour, an extensive area around another dover island near Canso (tons of cool looking granite boulders and cliffs) water access only, and a cool wilderness bouldering area that I will post about shortly...
Climb on!
Mark
MarkR

Postby MarkR » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:36 am

OK, I put some photos on the album. The main crags start pretty much at lake level (but actually in the lake, and the climbs start a little way up the cliff).
Mark
MarkR

Postby MarkR » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:37 am

MarkR wrote:OK, I put some photos on the album. The main crags start pretty much at lake level (but actually in the lake, and the climbs start a little way up the cliff).
Mark

OK, it is getting late here...
I meant to say that the crags don't actually start in the water...
:o)
MarkR

Postby Scooter » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 am

s1weet!!
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Rich » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:42 am

Sounds cool - where are the pics?
Rich

Postby Scooter » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:57 am

rich they are located under the 'album' link in the top right of the screen by 'TERMS OF USE'
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:34 am

Scooter wrote:rich they are located under the 'album' link in the top right of the screen by 'TERMS OF USE'

for the lazy (which is normally me.....):

http://www.climbeasterncanada.com/album_cat.php?cat_id=2

Looks solid! How big is it?
granite_grrl

Re: Granite crag near(ish) Antigonish

Postby peter » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:44 pm

MarkR wrote:It is about an hours drive from Antigonish, near Sherbrooke.
The main crag is on the other side of Fifth lake from the 211 highway. I think it is actually called Fifth lake mountain.
It is easily accessed from the 211.

Is this the chain of lakes running down the east side of the 211, just after leaving Highway 7, before you get to Sherbrooke from Antigonish?

Geological maps show a major fault line running up there, if my memory serves me correctly, as well as up two or three parallel harbours further east toward Canso.

Been meaning to look at it for several years, but the driving has always put me off.
peter

Postby dpg » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:31 pm

Kirb and I bolted two routes on a lake near sherbrook. Could be on the same lake being discussed; if it is I think the routes/crag would be accessed from the other end of the lake.

Never got to climb them so cant vouch for the quality.
dpg

Postby MarkR » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:41 pm

Granite-grrl: The cliffs are big enough... :)
Actually I'm a rotten judge of height, but they are taller than railway crag.

Peter: Yup, that is them...

dpg: Cool! When did you bolt them? There was no development on these crags last April. There is a smaller, steep looking crag towards the other (away from Sherbrooke) end of Fifth lake. Was that it? I thought I might have glimpsed a bolt on it, hard to say through the binoculars though... The big crags are definitely best approached from the Sixth lake end.

Mark.
MarkR

Postby Adam » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:18 am

dpg wrote:Kirb and I bolted two routes on a lake near sherbrook....

u bolted two routes but never climbed them?? wtf?
Adam

Sherbrooke Crag

Postby peter » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:36 pm

Sounds like a canoe would have quick access to all areas on the lake? Can you park on the highway and paddle across, just about anywhere?
peter

Postby Zamboni » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:00 pm

My climbing plans for this weekend are looking bad. Anybody feel like going to a drive?

Peter, I'm looking at you!
Zamboni

Postby Stevo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:53 pm

Yeah Peter, I think you should spend a couple of weekends gardening this crag, I'm flying to Fiji tomorrow but I'll be brushing with you in spirit. Save a couple of lines for me, mate!

Cheers
Steve
Stevo

Postby MarkR » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:11 pm

Hey Peter
I wondered about a canoe myself...
A lot of the roadside lake is private property.
The crags themselves are on crown land (according to that mapbook...).
There aren't any nice beaches on the cragside but you might find a few spots to hop out into the trees.
It is a pretty short (10 min?) relatively easy hike into the crags.
If you guys check it out let me know what you think.
Mark
MarkR

Postby The Mitt » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:53 pm

Peter let me know when u wanna take a hike up there. I'm game

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby ben smith » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:06 pm

I'd be stoked to clean some lines if the excursion happened after the 22nd
ben smith

Postby ThomP » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:51 am

I've looked at it from the road. Its pretty big, and pretty dirty. I believe there is a private campground on the shore of the lake.

Thom
ThomP

Postby Scooter » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:07 am

im up for a cleaning sesh!
not sunday, because ill be game for a climbing sesh!
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby MarkR » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:26 pm

Dirty?
Ya ThomP its dirty, but then it is in Nova Scotia and not by the ocean...
But it is not that dirty, in fact some of the smaller crags are quite clean.
There is a relatively clean strip just to the left of the big crags, but that is because something slid down there recently...
Have fun and I hope the flagging tape is still there (orange).
Mark
MarkR

Antigonish

Postby peter » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:03 pm

I am up for getting out to scrape and pillage this area. This weekend may be too early in the season for a drive like that, only to find both the woods and face wet and discouraging.

My work life is clearing up dramatically, as of this afternoon, so I will probably be able to get out any and every weekend between now and Victoria Day.

Are we thinking next weekend or this? Conan? Sean? Thom? Next perhaps for Ben, but our fearless leader will be lying on a beach somewere, it sounds like (don't visualize that, boys)
peter

Postby Adam » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:42 am

dpg wrote:Kirb and I bolted two routes on a lake near sherbrook. Could be on the same lake being discussed; if it is I think the routes/crag would be accessed from the other end of the lake.

seriously, why bolt something and never climb it? or are you waiting for conditions to return to send(er)?
Adam

Postby Scooter » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:54 am

for us to send!!!

yo stoners im in for cleaning let me know when
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Zamboni » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:58 am

I'm game, for when the conditions are right. Just give me a some notice, so I can work on the war department! 8)
Zamboni

Postby Eager » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:32 pm

trad_reborn wrote:
dpg wrote:Kirb and I bolted two routes on a lake near sherbrook. Could be on the same lake being discussed; if it is I think the routes/crag would be accessed from the other end of the lake.

seriously, why bolt something and never climb it? or are you waiting for conditions to return to send(er)?

It's called development, why don't you go climb it, and stop critcizing what you don't know?
Eager

Postby Zamboni » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:43 pm

Welcome back chris!

Cb.
Zamboni

Postby Eager » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:44 pm

Not home yet, still in beautiful, yet suprisingly cold Terre Haute Indiana.
Eager

Postby dpg » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:35 pm

Eager wrote:
trad_reborn wrote:

It's called development, why don't you go climb it, and stop critcizing what you don't know?

Ya, never climbed them for a few reasons... right now its because Im 5000+ Km's away.

Word-up Chris!
dpg

Postby Adam » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:11 am

Eager wrote:It's called development, why don't you go climb it, and stop critcizing what you don't know?

easy there hurricane -- it's called a question. i've done a little development and i climb everything i put up. that way i CAN vouch for quality/safety/etc.

i'm seriously wondering why you'd put up two routes and never go back to climb them. i've yet to hear an answer.
Adam

Postby Adam » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:16 am

dpg wrote:Ya, never climbed them for a few reasons... right now its because Im 5000+ Km's away.

oh wait.... there's the answer. cheers
Adam

Next

Return to Nova Scotia