Alrighty then... let's get serious about some ice

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Alrighty then... let's get serious about some ice

Postby mike » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:45 pm

Doods and Doodettes,

The tides are exactly right for a motorized trek :arrow: to base camp on the shores of Cape D'or. The drive from here is around 2.5-3 hrs- which does, in fact, suck :( . The ice however, doesn't :D .

Cape D'or is by far the biggest and best ice in mainland NS. There's one that stands out in my mind (we camped there a couple years ago- but got burned by the tides and the wine) it's right around 200' :shock: (climber measurment- not non-climber). There's a tonne of top ropeable smaller stuff too- but not in the same area. Probably about a 15 minute walk from the biggies...lots of biggies tough. Lots :!: .

Whose in? Sunday 7am at Steve-a-renos for car pooling. Low tide 2:30pm. Depending on whether or not the road is plowed- it could be a 1/2 hr walk in- could be belaying from the passenger seat (on the small stuff anyway)
mike

yeah yeah

Postby climberwannabe » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:14 pm

Ok, is this east or west of the valley? I'm in, just need to know where to go... if its east I'll meet yous guys at Stevo-reno's. Sounds awesome.
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby brad w » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:19 pm

Sounds very excellent.
Keep on updatin.
brad w

Sunday March 6/05 - Cape D'Or

Postby peter » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:48 pm

Mike and gang:

Go for it. Cape D'Or (Steve) is due north of you, but you would need a boat to go due north. Come across to Halifax, as it is not much further than meeting in Lower Sackville.

Cape D'Or involves driving to the north shore of the Minas Basin, via Truro, and west from there. There is big ice there, and we managed to get up there at the end of the season last year.

I have single parent duties this weekend, which preclude a long trip anywhere. I have the CNS gear at my place. If anyone needs crampons, or other gear, please email me at mcmac@hfx.eastlink.ca or try my cellular at 456-4324.

I would love to go, but abandoning my kids in Halifax would lose me some Brownie points while my spouse is away. I might squeeze in a few hours locally, but am otherwise out.

Peter
peter

Postby martha » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:02 am

It sounds to me Peter, like you need to teach your kids to belay and climb!!!!

sheesh!!!

Thats our plan, Fred and I will have them anchored to a tree with a grigri before they can climb out of their crib.

hahahhaha
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

uh huh

Postby climberwannabe » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:25 am

so it looks like I'm in for sunday at Cape D'or. I'll meet everyone at Stevo-renos. Hey if there is anyone out there in the valley who wants to go I can pick you up on my way thru. This is for sunday right?

Steve
climberwannabe

Postby mike » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:47 pm

Martha- forget the grigri- sounds like they could use a hammer and some pitons. Then they'll have a nice aid route to help 'em out of the crib and into the trees.

Peter- yeah what she said!

Mike
mike

Sunday March 6/05 - Cape D'Or

Postby peter » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:31 pm

Mike, Cara, what can I say. Rule number one of post-crib parenting goes as follows: "Never tell a teenager to do anything, if you want them to do it." If I want them to belay me for two hours on overhanging ice at minus 20, I first have to forbid them to do it under any circumstances. Head games take time, like revenge. P.
peter

hmmm...

Postby climberwannabe » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:21 pm

I like your parenting style peter, I like it alot. Damn, so thats how my folks got me to mow the lawn.
climberwannabe

Postby mike » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:21 pm

ok- let's stick to the pre-described program.

Steve-a-reno's at 7am.

We're hooking up with Johnathan at the Timmies in Elmsdale at 7:30 if that's a better deal for anyone.

See ya'll with sleep in yer eyes.

Mike
mike

Return to Nova Scotia