Parlee Brook - The Nova Scotia Invasion

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Parlee Brook

Postby peter » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:33 am

Sunday wasn't a CNS event. Everyone brought there own gear, it was only for people who had climbed before. It wasn't billed as a "CNS Sunday Ice Day". I just used this board to get together some bodies to travel west, as the ice is getting more "ify" in N.S.. We travelled in together, but climbed in pairs/threes, and (as you may have gathered), travelled out separately.

Peter
peter

Postby The Teth » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:11 pm

I believe that Fred and Cara had the right to comment. Their initial comments might be interpreted as preachy, but they were diplomatic enough that I do not consider them flaming. If they misinterpreted the situation the correct response would be to disagree with their interpretation of events. I think that questioning their right to comment was the wrong approach. They were there, which means they were involved, which gives them the right to comment. Debating what to do in such a situation might prevent the next person who gets in that situation from taking a second fall, or maybe it would not, but it does not hurt to get people thinking about best practice in such a scenario. Those who do not study history are bound to repeat it. If they misinterpreted what happened, then the scenario they described might be more hypothetical than real, but no less useful to Ice Climbers who have not yet been in that situation. It should not just be the guy bleeding in emergency who learns from an accident.

I must commend David on his level headed and balanced response. He addressed the events and the issues of safety and judgement which were raised. I think others should learn from his example.

Incase anyone misinterpreted this, I am preaching. This is one of those rare instances where I am exercising my position as moderator. This is my final statement before locking this thread.

Teth Cleveland
The Teth

Previous

Return to Nova Scotia