pack

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

pack

Postby climberwannabe » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:28 pm

Hi guys and gals, I am strongly considering taking the intro to mountaineering and intro to alpine ice courses this summer at yamnuska... I only have a 35L pack right now and it only serves as a good day pack. What size should I invest in for this type of 'excersion'?? I would like to have a 90L, is this a good size, or is it too big, resulting in overpacking? I have been looking at MEC so far, and most of their expedition packs are like 80 L... is this a sign? Anyways, I know there are some highly experienced mountaineers on this site, and I know Mike recommended 90L or better... just looking for some additional input.

Thanks,
Steve

Oh, the Intro to Mountaineering crse is 6 days and the Intro to Alpine Ice is 4 days, so I'm looking at doing them back to back so I'll be travelling for at least 12 days. Maybe I just answered my own question????!!
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby Zamboni » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:23 pm

Talk to chris Eager. I think hes done both.
Zamboni

Postby brad w » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:14 pm

Steve,
In my opinion you will probably be okay for either of these courses with a 50L pack. It is big enough to cram a light weight sleeping bag into as well as whatever else you may need. Remember that a rope can always go on top of the pack until you need it. Stoves can go very small as well. For the alpine course an alpine harness is lightweight and takes up very little space. THey are also quite reasonable in price. If you have to you can wear a helmet or also strap it to the outside of your pack. I haven't done any of Yam's courses but I believe most of them get you back to either a hut or campground most nights. Their alpine course probably has you in the icefields on routes like Athabasca or Andromeda or maybe in the Wapta(accessible from Bow Hut). I have seen their ice courses going on in places like Junkyards(2 mins from Canmore), Johnton's Canyon(20 mins from Banff) and maybe at the Weeping Wall or some other stalwart type route(all of which are done in a day from town or a hut).

I have done multi day trips with a 45 litre and been fine.You definately have to be quite certain as to what you will and will not need for this type of packing though. You also have to be quite tolerant of your 3 day old polypropylene smell as well as the stench of your partner or partner's.

I have tried some routes with a bigger pack and did just as you suggested and definately overpacked and generally ended up making the summit exhausted or just turning around before making it there. Having said that if you are going to be out for more than 3 days w/o hut facilities I would definately go for a large pack. You will generally be carrying a bivy bag/tent, plus thermarest or some other sort of sleeping pad(all take up a bit of room).
As with anything in climbing you will have to test and see what works best for you.
Either way though, if this is a sport you are going to comomit to you will eventually need both sizes of pack so maybe just call Yamnuska (1 866 678 4164)and ask them what they suggest for any of the courses you are interested in. Buy that one for now and purchase the other as you need it.
If you are going to be doing these courses this year I would also be surprised if you could not find an 80 or 90 lire pack to borrow for a week or so. I know mine is pretty much out of commission these days. Spends a whole lot of time hanging on a nail in my basement. Not much use for it in St. Margaret's Bay(my own fault I suppose).

Anyway, that is my .02 cents worth. Hope it helps. I am sure someone is going to disagree with me on these suggestions but that is Ok. This works for me. Take it as you wish.

Hope New Brunswick is a blast.

Brad
brad w

Postby dcentral » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:41 pm

Think it depends on the style of pack too.

I have a 40L tatonka pack, that has lasted really well -- but it's got quite a few smaller pockets on that mean the main compatrment is not actually 40Ls. So sometimes I have troubles packing everything I need.

I a friend said once when he's going out on mountaineering trips etc. that if he has to pack a bag that's 60L or larger he starts to wonder if he should really be going on the trip.
dcentral

Postby mathieu » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:27 am

Both courses are hut based so no tent, light sleeping bag and they bring the ropes and stuff so I think, then you will need a 50 to 60L pack to bring in food, sleeping bag, little amount of clothes (rain jacket, spare pair of socks is basically all you need, this is where you make or brake it) and whatever climbing gear they don't provide which sounds like not much.

If your gonna be doing other similar trips outside of Yamnuska, in other words have to carry your own climbing gear 50L is going to be awfully small. Another option is buy an 80L (god forbid if you need anything bigger) and just strap your daybag to the ouside of your big bag, use that for the trips from the hut.
mathieu

Postby mike » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:14 pm

I would say that rule #1 is don't buy packs with frills. Go for simple designs. Serratus is my pack of choice- but they seem to be going out of business.

Things to look for: Side straps, single compartment, good sized top pouch, hefty shoulder straps, pretty color. ice axe loops on the back, maybe a rubber pad for your crampons.

I like big packs cause I don't like a bunch of stuff hanging off the sides. I also carry a Serratus Genie when I'm going to set up camp and do day trips.

Doesn't really what size pack you get... you'll need more eventually anyway.

Get one that you like- go with your instinct.

Or buy one that's second hand and have enough cash left over to get another one.
mike

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:47 pm

Food for thought:
A very old and experienced mountaineer once told me when I was looking into buying a rather large backpack:
"Whatever you do, your backpack is going to be stuffed and generally it turns out that you have taken JUST enough stuff. I think I'd go for the smaller size."
He was right.

Postby mitchleblanc » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:He was right.

Hhhahahaha. Is there an option to vote for the cheesiest line in the forum?
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby martha » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:44 am

I think aside from size, the MOST important thing you should look for is comfort and fit. If that suspension doesn't fit you right, even a 40L pack can be hell to carry for a few hours, let alone an 80 L stuffed full for 4 days.

I really reccomend Arc-Teryx or Lowe Alpine for great packs. a little more money, but with a lifetime warranty on zippers and stiching plus some other extras, you can't go wrong.

Fred had a buckle break on one of his old lowe alpines, he sent it back to be fixed, and they restiched and re did every buckle/strap on the pack.

The Lowe Alpine Contour is a nice no frills pack to look at and it comes in 50, 60 and 80L versions.

http://www.lowealpine.com

cheers.

cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

hmm

Postby climberwannabe » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:47 am

Great, thanks for the info everyone... confused will I!! I just cant make up my mind.. but I guess I just need to accept the fact that I will need to build a 'collection' of packs to suit my variation of needs. I think I'll call Yamnuska this week and see what they recommend for the actual course itself and go from there.
climberwannabe

darnit

Postby climberwannabe » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:48 am

Hey I forgot to ask another question.. should I be looking at 'alpine' or 'multi-day' or 'expedition' packs for this type of adventure?? Whats the real differance?
climberwannabe

Postby martha » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:17 am

The real difference comes down to size. Some features may not be present on multi day packs like on an expedition pack. such as a lid that can be used as a small pack, a rain hood etc.

But usually it is just size.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Return to Nova Scotia