Easter Island FOR SALE!!

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Easter Island FOR SALE!!

Postby Stevo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:11 pm

Looks like we can kiss goodbye to climbing at Easter Island when this sells.

"23 Canyon Corner Road"

http://www.remaxlifestyle.ca/Mambo/inde ... &Itemid=67
Stevo

Postby martha » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:45 pm

They aren't actually asking all that much money for it either. Sure would make a great place for a cottage and climber hangout. What is the climbing like there? Much good?
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Mitt » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:03 pm

The climbing there is not bad, not many routes. If bought it would give climbers a reason to be able to drive on the road that goes to Sorrows end.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby The Mitt » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:12 am

I do think this is a sign of the times. Where we like to climb is usually prime property. Events like this should tell us that Access is the number one issue that affects us all. We need a plan as a group.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:31 am

The Mitt wrote:I do think this is a sign of the times. Where we like to climb is usually prime property. Events like this should tell us that Access is the number one issue that affects us all. We need a plan as a group.

Mitt

Thank you Sean, glad someone realizes that.

After all the discussion about CNS and place like First Face a couple of months ago I would like to know what kind of access plans CNS now has.

Price: CDN $ 225,000

That's a freakn' steal! At least for someone like me who's living out in Onterrible. I tells ya, if I was working out in Halifax right now and renting I would seriously consider the place.
granite_grrl

Postby Stevo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:39 am

If that price seems cheap to save a crag then the First Face property on Paces Lake is also a great deal at only $100 k with a far better crag to go with it.

Steve
Stevo

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:48 am

Stevo wrote:If that price seems cheap to save a crag then the First Face property on Paces Lake is also a great deal at only $100 k with a far better crag to go with it.

Steve

Aye, but the commute to Hali would be a lot further. Besides I grew up out towards T-bay. There are a lot of places I love out there.
granite_grrl

EAster Island

Postby peter » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:57 am

I thought the big, fat porcupine, living in the deep crack/cave on the route, Robar the Magnificent, owned the property? Or did I read too much Beatrix Potter as a child?
peter

Postby Zamboni » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:29 pm

CNS is meeting for the 2nd time this Term this week. Access is a priority, and there are tentative plans to do some fund raising this year. If anybody has any tips as to the first steps CNS should be taking, we are all ears.

Conan.
Zamboni

Postby The Mitt » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:08 pm

I think the first thing to do is commit the board to making access the number one priority for CNS. Have it stated in the constitution so there can be no doubt. Then start raising money, no money no action. Next develop an action plan, something along the lines of How you start negotiations, who does it, how much you are willing to spend on a site, and if you want to start challenging right of passage versus just buying the land. I think right now its most important to make people realize how fragile our access to climbing is.

Just 2 pennies :)
Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Zamboni » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:14 pm

Thats what I'm looking for, C U Next Tuesday.

Thanks Mitt.
8)
Zamboni

Postby The Mitt » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:58 am

lol

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby The Teth » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:07 pm

I seem to recall posting that Easter Island was for sale over two years ago. Did it sell that time? Does anyone know?

Teth
The Teth

Postby Zamboni » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:18 pm

not sure teth.

Conan.
Zamboni

Re: Easter Island FOR SALE!!

Postby mike » Fri May 01, 2009 9:32 am

Does anyone know if Main Face is still for sale?
mike

Postby mike » Fri May 01, 2009 9:33 am

errr... I mean First Face...
mike

Postby Rich » Fri May 01, 2009 10:53 am

Hey Mike,

Not sure about the First Face property. The owners live in Germany. CNS had inquired into their intent for the property several times during the last couple years via both airmail and email but haven't had any reply. Also contacted their old lawyer whom during the last correspondence (approx 10 years ago) they directed CNS to - but she no longer serves them. last time I checked with the local real estate agents, nobody new anything about the property being for sale.

If you find out anything I'm sure CNS would be interested....

rich
Rich

Postby mick » Sat May 02, 2009 9:09 am

Access is absolutely the most important issue for Climb Nova Scotia. The new CNS executive will be meeting on Monday at 6pm at the Dal student union building and, as always, we will be discussing access among other things. Members are welcome to attend.

CNS does have an access fund but it is not quite the $100k required to think about purchasing land. Our main concern is to negotiate continued access to established sites with the existing landowners. Just getting in touch with these people can be quite a challenge.

I have also been in touch with the National Climbing Access Initiative (ncai.ca) to find out more about their organization, but I have yet to hear back from them. It seems that strength in numbers through the Access Fund has been found in the USA and it would be nice to see a unified effort to that effect here in Canada.

CNS was vocal regarding the proposed closure of the Niagara Glen bouldering area in Ontario and for the mean time climbers' unified voices seem to have kept that area open. If something like that were to happen here in Nova Scotia it would be great to hear from the Canadian climbing community as a whole rather than just the (seemingly) small community within the province.
mick

Postby mike » Tue May 05, 2009 3:51 pm

Thanks for the input.
Mike
mike

Postby the kydd » Fri May 08, 2009 4:34 am

Mick,

I'm pretty certain NCAI is a loose body of volunteers from across Canada with representatives from MEC and Gripped. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a while to hear back from.

Something of interest for you perhaps... http://www.accesspanamerica.com/

They are having a meeting this summer during the Squamish Mountain Festival. http://www.squamishmountainfestival.com/
the kydd

Return to Nova Scotia