The Big M.F. Tour

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

The Big M.F. Tour

Postby Zamboni » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:15 am

Getting Board of bouldering ( Ya right )? Want to try something new? Have you ever thought of climbing on Top Rope or Lead Climbing? Got nothing left to climb at Sorrows End? Have you ever climbed at Pace's Lake? Are you worried about Access issues? Do you know what to do in case of an emergence?

We hope to address some of these opportunities by giving anybody who wants to, the chance to join us in the cabin at Main Face.

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.81 ... &z=16&om=1

On August 17,18,19 in an attempt to raise awareness to Access, Climb Nova Scotia is going to rent the Cabin, Feed you, and provide tours for anybody who has never been before. Open to all level's of skill, from "I've never climbed before, You guys are nuts" to "Ya I'm over 50 and still leading 5.11 trad". Details are still in the works, and we hope to nail down some more activities, but book that weekend off. Start training harder, and tell your friends.

See you at the Big M.F. Tour.

Conan Baker
Climb Nova Scotia
Zamboni

Re: The Big M.F. Tour

Postby Zamboni » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:46 am

This weekend is still on! With a few exceptions. Due to the lack of interested parties, we will not be having a Level one top rope course. Also we can not feed you as I can not hike in that much food.

Directions:

Take Hwy #7 from Dartmouth ( Main Street ), It turns into Highway #107 and drive till you hit the #7 again. Turn right and drive to Musquodobit Harbour. Turn left on to hwy #357. Drive for a few more minutes and look for a Black double gate on your left. Drive through the gate and park inside on your left. Hike the old road and we will see you at the cabin at the end of the road.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&h ... &z=14&om=1

Tours
$10 donation

First Tour starts at 11am Saturday / Sunday.
Second Tour Starts at 3pm Saturday / Sunday.
Please arrive at the cabin 30min prior to tour.

Camping over night $10 dollar donation

CNS has rented the cabin for those who want to make a whole weekend out of it.

Suggestions

For those who just want a tour, you will be walking on top off and below a cliff, you will need proper foot ware for hiking. 1L of water, and a light snack.

If you hope to hook up with another climber bring all your climbing gear. If you don't have any, I would recommend bringing your own harness, and renting some climbing shoes from Mountain Equipment Co-op. We will have a few harness's you can borrow, but supply is limited.

If your spending the night; bring a sleeping bag, breakfast, lunch and Dinner ( we have a bbq on site, and lots of fire wood ) I will have a ceramic filter you can use to filter water out of the lake. But if you prefer to drink "Perfect" water I suggest bringing 4L for the hole weekend.

The cliff comes out of a lake, so bring your swim suite!

If you have any questions post them here!

Hope to see you all there.

Conan.
Zamboni

Postby The Mitt » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:14 am

I wish I could attend. Unfortunately I am still in the arctic :( I will be getting home in about a week though.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby tracstarr » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:04 am

i thought it was swim suit optional....
tracstarr

Postby peter » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:15 pm

Stevo, Peter and Cassidy were out limbering up at an all-stars trad session at The Skapper yesterday. The talk there was that we are all planning to come to the M.F. Tour this coming weekend, being qualified M.F.ers, and all.

For me, the overnight stay is a more of a "maybe" than a "for sure", but I will be there to assist with the "toring" (although I would call it "tooring"), will bring a rope and rack, and will lead any moderate route with a willing second.

How many bodies are we thinking? Is there much chatter about it, other than on this site? Do we have interest among the (until now) hopelessly ropeless? Are other CNS Board Members committed to banging the drum, so the cash laid out doesn't go to waste?
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby Zamboni » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:33 pm

The "Word" on the street is will have around 10 bodies. As it is with most non committing events outside, attendance will be weather permitting. I'll be there rain or shine from Friday night till Sunday evening. All CNS bodies will be attending in some form.

This is also a perfect setting to start putting together a portfolio for the Photo Comp.

Cb.
Zamboni

Postby mick » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:37 pm

I'd love to come along but no car... anyone heading up from Halifax?

I got myself a shiny new harness and I'm itching to try out this "rope climbing" I've heard so much about. ;)

Can I bring the boulder pad too? Just in case?

mick
mick

Postby chameleon » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:56 pm

M.F.ers,

What do you mean you're not feeding us?
Conan, are you rolling a keg in or are we on our own?
CNS supplied ice at least?
Is there a stove to whip up some espresso etc. or just the fire?

I'm planning on staying the night. Am also willing to lead 1 or 2 new people up some of the "classics" if needed.

Rich will you be there to lead the botanical tour? I hear Zig has big proj by the water that we can steal if doesn't show up!! Nick, are you coming out to work on that crazy arete? If prompted I'll bet Steve-o can break out the wool socks on some of the harder climbs. How about the Authori-therien?

Sean
chameleon

Postby peter » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:39 pm

mick wrote:I'd love to come along but no car... anyone heading up from Halifax?

I will be driving out from Halifax on Saturday morning. PM me if you need a lift.

Peter
peter

Postby seanT » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Sounds like its going to be a sausage fest....will CNS at least supply the ketchup and mustard?
seanT

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:44 pm

Not totally a sausage fest,
I'm hoping to attend (though I'm in conflict about staying the night). For those that are looking for a ride from Halifax, I own a car and can provide a ride to as many people that can fit. May or may not stay the night.
Please contact me if you are looking for a ride.
Aidan
aidan.richmond@gmail.com
802-4326
Aidan

Postby ben smith » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:38 pm

I'm coming!! got off the rig 2 weeks earlier than expected and coming with a whole summer worth of suppressed climbing energy!
Stoked yo!!
ben smith

Postby Zamboni » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:54 pm

Ben, Bring the Mustard!
Zamboni

Postby Zamboni » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:22 pm

FYI Queeny

Ya there is a stove, a BBQ, a cooler, and I think CNS can swing some ICE. How Many People plan to spend the night? If I only have to lug in a 24 of hot beef injection's and buns than I can make it happen. I'll be lugging in all my gear, and 2 crates of CNS gear. Thats 3 trips from the Gate to the road so far, I'm not feeling anymore than that. Unless somebody has access to a 4x4.

Conan.
Zamboni

Postby tracstarr » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:34 am

i should be heading out friday night myself and staying saturday. not lugging much but myself in due to a bad back. But definatly a good chance to add some photos to your compilation for the photocomp. remember therer is $500 in CASH MONEY to be had.

For the MF tour there were posters placed around various location, but it seems things are being kept quiet.
tracstarr

Postby Scooter » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:52 pm

I am taking my car and will be able to take 3 other people
I'll be heading out friday eveningish maybe saturday morning
if anyone needs a ride let me know
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Scooter » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:52 pm

I am taking my car and will be able to take 3 other people
I'll be heading out friday eveningish maybe saturday morning
if anyone needs a ride let me know
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Zamboni » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:16 pm

Over night M.Fer's, we will have Ice, a cooler, some burgers and dogs for those spending the night.

See you there.

Cb.
Zamboni

Postby geizer6 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:33 pm

Hi, we're fairly new to climbing (gym climbing for the last year) and plan to come out. We have only started top roping since June and have been at Eagle's Nest all summer, now we're bored and want something new. Would love to learn lead climbing! We only have basic gear, but we are coming to meet some great people who are willing to share. Would love to be there for the whole weekend, but with 4 kids to arrange care for, we may only make it Saturday or Sunday, so keep an eye out for the 2 frazzled parents showing up with gear and who don't know anyone.!
geizer6

Postby The Mitt » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:27 pm

Welcome to climbing in NS. I think you will find the people very friendly. There are several places where you can top rope at MainFace and the other areas around paces lake. I would suggest finding someone to take you for a tour of the cliff first. Mainface and be a bit confusing to find your way around.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby peter » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:05 pm

geizer6 wrote:Would love to be there for the whole weekend, but with 4 kids to arrange care for, we may only make it Saturday or Sunday, so keep an eye out for the 2 frazzled parents showing up with gear and who don't know anyone.!

Do you know how to get to Main Face? Once you are there, there is lots of gear around to borrow, and plenty of people interested in showing what the cliff has to offer. Post a message if you want to car pool, or arrange to follow another car out, one of the mornings.
peter

Postby geizer6 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:01 pm

Based on the weather report, We are interested in Sunday and if anyone is willing to haul us out (carpool), that would be great. Recent issue with van, insurance, and unemployment has left us scrambling for rides this past week, but I told hubby I could make it happen. We do know where it is, just an issue with transport. We are available all day, on your schedule. If Saturday is preferable, that's fine too! Just want to get out there, meet some new people and get familiar with the walls. Our phone is 864-3016 or cell 499-8390. Heading out climbing to Outback Climbing Club tonight at dockyard.

Joy and Wayne
geizer6

Postby mike » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:06 pm

Joy and Wayne?!?!?!?

I love that song!

oh... whoops!

That's 'Joy and Pain, sunshine and rain'

My bad!!!
mike

Postby Zamboni » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:26 pm

FYI, I just got back from the cabin, it looks like it can sleep 6 up stairs. If we have +6 nighters than, I suggest to stash your tent in your car, and make a trip back at the end of the day if you think you need to use it. Also, the BBQ is no longer there, but there is a gas stove, and a metal grill for the fire pit.

I'll leave the gate open till 10ish sat/sun morning, but if its closed when you drive up, it will be unlocked. Feel free to open it up and drive through. Please do not block the drive way, or any other cars from getting out.

See you on the edge!

CB.
Zamboni

Postby geizer6 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:31 am

mike wrote:Joy and Wayne?!?!?!?

I love that song!

oh... whoops!

That's 'Joy and Pain, sunshine and rain'

My bad!!!

Yah, like you're the first to come up with that one :roll: . I love the song too. It came out just months before we hooked up, so it has been, oh 19 years :shock:

We let everyone know about the tour at Outback Club last night, so there may be others coming out too. Just learning to lead climb.

Joy
geizer6

Postby Zamboni » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:42 am

Awesome,

The more donations the better.

Cb.
Zamboni

Postby tracstarr » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:09 pm

i'm heading out tonight and can fit 2 if needed. A few people have been out there since yesterday. Yeah, it's wet today, but tomorrow is calling for sun. i'm leaving around 5pm, i'll check back here then.
tracstarr

Postby chameleon » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:19 pm

I'm thinkin' about it. Keith call me when your heading out 829-3893.

Sean
chameleon

Postby mick » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:09 pm

Anyone heading up sunday morning?

Weather looks promising.
mick

Postby Zamboni » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:33 pm

Great day of climbing today. Friday and saturday were washed out but we made the best of it. A BIG thanks goes out to Rich, Sean C, Peter M, Scott R, Ben S, Keith S, Mic, and the Geizer's, I thought I would be haling gear till 8pm tonight.

Main Face is going to see some traffic this fall, with 5 new hard man lines in the process of going up! Also, the Slab hasn't seen much action at all in the last 10 years. But open up your Guide books, and take note with the replacement of 3 shmanky bolts "Priceless" & "Scratch and Sniffle" are now back open for bidness!

And to the boys who spent the night, sorry I took all your money! You can rest assured that I have taken my winnings and tossed it into the access fund!

thanks again,

Conan.
Zamboni

Next

Return to Nova Scotia