Dogs on Dover

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Dogs on Dover

Postby dpg » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:26 pm

What "instances" have lead to this request(?) not to bring dogs to dover?

Perhaps some details would prevent issues at other areas?
dpg

Postby Zamboni » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:31 am

It doesn't matter. We have been asked not to bring them. Please respect the issue.

conan.
Zamboni

Postby cstamp » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:55 am

Without the power to back up your words, I would use the art of persuasion.
Craig Stamp
cstamp

Postby The Mitt » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:02 pm

I guess at the end of the day the person who holds the lease of the land is requesting that no dogs go there than we have to respect that request. Having dogs at a craig has been an ongoing arguement for a long while. Just read the threads in RC.com. I have noticed many incidents in this area and thats why although I would love to bring my dog I don't think she belongs at the craig.

Here are a few:

1. Uncontrolable dogs off lead (if your dog runs out of sight its not under your control);
2. Dogs that are aggressive around other dogs;
3. Dogs that dig up and eat human feces (many cases including my own dog have done this);
4. Dogs that are aggressive towards unknown humans;
5. Dogs that chase and kill wildlife;

Just to name a few. If your dog does any of these its a risk to access on other peoples land.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby dpg » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:59 pm

yeah, I thought Dover (atleast all of the area with bouldering) was public/crown land.

That is scary if it isnt.
dpg

Postby The Mitt » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:11 pm

Alot of the land that we climb on is either owned or leased privately. In some cases we need to access private land in order to get to our climbing destinations. In these cases its mostly just easier to appease the owners/lease holders as long as their wishes are reasonable. Really in most cases rules come in for the few people who disregard common sense.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby tracstarr » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:00 pm

why is it scary that someone owns the island? i believe there are about 15 families that hold the ownership to that island. At least last i heard.
tracstarr

Postby dpg » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:12 am

Well i dont know; Terence Bay Woods comes to mind.
Someone owns land, people climb on it, enter a lawyer, exit climbers.
Just to me private land seems more susceptible to closure for many reasons (buying, selling, developing, managing, lawsuits, etc.)
dpg

Postby chameleon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:33 am

dude's got a point, dawg 8)
chameleon

Postby The Mitt » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:25 am

I am reasonably sure that Dover Island is not "Owned" but leased for a long time through a fishing program that is now dead. What that means for us is that it probably won't be sold. When I get back I will find out for sure and let everyone know. The people that own/lease Dover don't seam to me to be the type of people to deny resonable access. After all this is the first time in 6 years that they have a request.

What should be of more concern to all is that First Face is currently for sale and has been for many years.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby seanT » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:13 pm

ok no dogs allowed.....
what about pyrotechnics? Do you think "they" will have a problem with close to $200 worth of roman candles, air bombs, and flameing balls?
Seriously no dogs? Is this some kind of joke? If it is Im not laughing. I have been taking my dog there since day 1, in fact on one of the first climbing overnighters in the morning there were dogs on the island that a local would just drop off for thier morning walk while he was fishing. Please enlighten us as to where this request has come from and why? Otherwise ..woof woof this dog may bite!
or at the very least hump your leg.
seanT

Postby Zamboni » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:38 pm

CNS has been asked to tell everybody that they do not want dogs around anymore. This is the last time anybody will reply to this post, all other post's will be deleted.

NO DOGS!

Brought to you by your Friendly barbarian!
Zamboni

Postby Fred » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:45 am

Please direct questions or concerns via email to CNS president and members of the board.

Thank you.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to Nova Scotia