New to Halifax.

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

New to Halifax.

Postby aidasr » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:45 pm

Hey guys.
I just moved to Halifax, and enjoy rock climbing.

Roommates and I were thinking of going to check out Eagles Nest and some other places.
What kind of rack is standard ? Is there anything I should know about the climbing here?
aidasr

Re: New to Halifax.

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:21 am

Hey! We met at Gravity climbing gym one night in Hamilton, you mentioned headed out East, glad you got there.

Enjoy yourself out there. The rock is a lot better than the slimestone out here in Ontario (in my opinion at least :D ).

Rebecca
granite_grrl

Postby seanT » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:26 am

First...Eagles Nest is a choss pile, broken glass, spray paint etc...
Scond... Standard rack, nuts, cams, the works..
Third... the rock is sharp really sharp.
This time of the year is the best season for cragging, check out Columbus wall, First Face, Main Face. The guide book is available at MEC or Ground Zero Climbing Gym
Enjoy the sweet NS granite.
Sean
seanT

Postby ben smith » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:34 am

re: eagles nest, the place is best known as an excellent area to toss microwaves and toasters and watch them explode, so if you need to get rid of a couple of appliances and want to get in a quick session as well... hit it up, also if you are underage and need to get your drink on its good for that too. But its accessible by bus so if you are a poor silly sally like meits worth checking out.
If you have transportation check out main and first faces in musquidoboit ( said muska dob it-, don't go asking anyone how to find mosque quid dub oy it or anything like that) if you head to main face try to bring out someone local to show you around too its a bit confusing- the climbs are mostly traditional (and a bit dirty) so standard rack plus a wire brush is useful with a few sport climbs around, mostly 12+.
for more sport and cleaner lines check out sorrows end in terence bay about 20 min outside the city.
ben smith

Postby peter » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:43 am

See Stoners' Post: Come to the Henry House, a pub at Barrington and South St., this Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. (and the first Thursday of every month), if you are interested in meeting a group of scruffy trad climbers who climb most weekends, at one or another cliff near Halifax (typically in the Musquodoboit Valley).
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Return to Nova Scotia