Dogs on Dover

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Dogs on Dover

Postby mothecat » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:51 pm

Can somebody clear up the dogs on Dover issue for me?

From what I can gather, Norm doesn't want dogs on his property, or his boat. This is the case, right? A dog attacked his ducks or geese. I think it's alright for him not to want to serve dogs.

I'm pretty sure Dover itself is not owned by Norm. I've heard half of it is a owned by a US landowner, the other half is public. Has there been a "no dog" policy put forth by either of these landowners?

I've camped on Dover a bunch of times when fisherfolks have dropped off their dogs on their way out to fish, and picked them up on the way home. I expect this practice will continue.

Could canoeing over with a dog somehow affect future access to Dover? The post seems to indicate so, but doesn't explain why?

What's going on with this?

Thanks

mo
mothecat

Re: Dogs on Dover

Postby Scooter » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:13 pm

You can take your dog to dover, just don't expect Norm to take him in his boat or allow you to launch your kayaks/ canoe or whatever it may be from his property.

It was a communication error to say 'no dogs on dover'.

Hope this helped
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Zamboni » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:31 am

Norms birds spend some nights on the island.
Zamboni

Postby chameleon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:00 am

......with his ducks.
chameleon

Postby shotwave » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:44 pm

is there any other person who can transport us to the island ?
thank you
shotwave

Postby shotwave » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:46 pm

and is there any real info regarding who owns the island?
shotwave

Postby The Mitt » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:51 pm

Is Norm still against having dogs on the island?

S
The Mitt

Postby Zamboni » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Nothing has changed. Main problem is we humans know to flowers or piss near or at waters edge, and to not walk off the main paths. Dogs do not. There are nesting sites and wild endangered flowers on the island, dogs don't know better. Also as a form of respect to other climbers. I hate climbing with dogs barking around me, or pissing on the starting holds of a problem I may want to work.

There is no other person who is able to taxi you back and forth to dover island, that I know of.

Cb.
Zamboni

Postby peter » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:34 pm

Zamboni wrote:There is no other person who is able to taxi you back and forth to dover island, that I know of. Cb.

The guy is a solid local contact, who lets us park on and launch from his land. Why _____* with that?

Sorry mate, but beople like that trump your dog, in my books.

Why do people do their hobbies with dogs anyway? It is hot, there is no water, and they are wearing fur.

Peter

*Post edited by Mitt TOS word
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby peter » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:36 pm

peter wrote:
Zamboni wrote:There is no other person who is able to taxi you back and forth to dover island, that I know of. Cb.

The guy is a solid local contact, who lets us park on and launch from his land. Why _____* with that?

Sorry mate, but beople like that trump your dog, in my books.

Why do people do their hobbies with dogs anyway? It is hot, there is no water, and they are wearing fur.

Peter

The Mitt loves animals, so I can't imagine he would moderate that post!

*Post edited by Mitt TOS word
peter

Postby The Mitt » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:01 pm

LoL. I don't think I have deleted a post yet, or even changed a post. This gets to be my first, please don't try to work around the word filter.

I agree actually, I asked because if Norm does not want dogs then I will leave mine home :)

I admit that I am not always a responsible dog owner, in that I sometimes let them go off lead. When they go sometimes they get into trouble.

Thanks for the update :)
The Mitt

Postby shotwave » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:59 pm

there is no way how I can leave my dog home for 9 days, thats why I am asking
I guess I wont be able to go to the island this year :evil:
shotwave

Postby bns » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:36 pm

Norm and Giz have ferried is to the island since the beginning and have always gone out of their way to accomodate us. Climbers here have a good relationship with them and I hope we can keep it that way. So for locals or tourists who ask if they can bring their pets the answer is no. It has been asked before and it still remains the same. If you need a ride to the island you can contact Norm. He is looking forward to his next trip to the island!
GL
bns

Postby ben smith » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:08 pm

To clear this up perhaps...

Dover Island is not a dog-free zone anymore than LOC, or any other outdoor area (similar endangered species etc.). If you have a kayak or a canoe or a zodiac feel free to ferry all the dogs you can to the island (The locals take theirs!).

However...
Norm, who runs the only ferry service to the island, has ducklings and geese, which he likes and which dogs tend to kill. So keep your dog(s) away from Norms house (no parking there with dogs to kayak or canoe over and you won't be able to catch a lift with Norm or Giz.
ben smith

Postby Scooter » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:20 pm

Ben, didn't norm shuttle you over? :lol:
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Murph » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:07 pm

The granite on Dover is super sharp and may cause problems for the dog’s paws. You wouldn’t catch me walking around on Dover bare foot and I don’t recommend it either.
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby martha » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:14 am

Murph wrote:The granite on Dover is super sharp and may cause problems for the dog’s paws. You wouldn’t catch me walking around on Dover bare foot and I don’t recommend it either.

You should have seen the bottom of my and Fred's feet after our wedding and wedding photos barefoot on Dover.... The granite is sharp!

It seems to me that Tylers Pup had cuts on her paws after a day of running around on Dover one time. I'm sure it happens.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby peter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:29 pm

Murph wrote:The granite on Dover is super sharp and may cause problems for the dog’s paws. You wouldn’t catch me walking around on Dover bare foot and I don’t recommend it either.

Dude, as anyone will tell you, I walked all weekend at Doverfest in climbing shoes or bare feet.

It was just like when I was a kid: after a summer break from school, it was hard to put the shoes back on in September. This was assuming that it was my month to wear shoes, what with me having four brothers and all. Walking barefoot to school in seven feet of snow 12 miles, there and back, four times a day because there was no school lunch programs in those days, was the least of my worries. If the cops caught us looking neglected, they would hang us upside down in cells and beat our feet until they cried (yes, until they cried: we never cried). Then they took us home and our parents beat us in the same spots all over again, with the cops cheering them on and drinkin' me mother's tea and me father's scotch! But you try to tell the young people of today that and they won't believe you.

So, what are you complaining about. It is just a wee bit of crystaline glass embedded in volcanic cement. Surely your dog can take it at least as well as you can, ya wee, not-yet-house-broken, pup?
peter

Return to Nova Scotia