A brief History (with apologies to Mr Hawking)

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

A brief History (with apologies to Mr Hawking)

Postby seanT » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:32 am

For over 8 years i have been involved with, dealing with, helping with, CNS. I've seen it go from a organization that a single individual used for his own personal gain(if you dont know dont ask) to a legitimate volunteer organization(thankyou Mitt and Mr Hebert) to a organization that actually might do something for climbers(kudos Mr Cassidy) to its present state. I've seen Chris Hayes running the show pretty much entirely by himself and Ive seen Teth taking hits from all directions. There is one constant that I hear over and over again.....CNS is a volunteer organization and needs people to help out and step up and do things. Hello Newsletter,,,,Hello its 1 day to Boulderfest and does any one have a spatula? Hello...we would like your input on this certification innitiative....
Well each person has thier own unique time constraints and personal reasons for getting involved or not getting involved and you cant really hold that against them. I for one have allways seen it as a conflict of interest to get too involved as I own one of the gyms in town and didnt want it to seem like I was trying to make CNS pro Ground Zero(politics...).
The first year Boulderfest was held I went as both a participant and a sponsor. Imagine my surprise when I walked up to the campfire to find the drawing of door prizes underway and low and behold none of the prizes I had brought to the island were given out nor was Ground Zero mentioned.(Rock Works was mentioned and prizes given out). Sitting there as people collected thier loot I had a decidedly unpleasant taste in my mouth(insert rude inuendo here). I am a sucker for punishment though so I attended the second Boulderfest as well but on my own(self supported style) and had a really good time. The next year....and the year after that it seemed like it was not really my cup of tea nor did I feel particularly welcome as I was seening posts online asking people to NOT come over to Dover island as there were going to be 70 odd people there. As the individual responsible for finding and turning the climbing community onto the glory of Dover island now I was being asked to not go on this the longest sunniest weekend of the year....Disapointed am I(thank you Yoda). Let it be said I dont oppose Boulderfest, I just am sad that it can not be bigger. And why can it not be bigger? 1 word VOLUNTEERS. From the start I offered my help and the resources of Ground Zero to CNS to help make Boulderfest a event similar to the Phoenix Bouldering Festival but alas it seemed that no one at CNS wanted to take me up on it. Why .....ask them Im sure there will be posts.
I have been to AGM's where people have to literally be begged to take a position on the board because otherwise 1 person will have to be president, secretary, treasurer, etc...(Chris Hayes hello?) Because of the bylaws put into place this can not happen. Im not sure CNS can exist if it does not have a full board. They would take homeless person of the street if it came down to it. This is not fair. You cant expect people to be motivated to perform thier role if the only reason they are in it is because they felt like someone had to step up.
So here we are 8 years later and not much has changed I log onto the net to see what is happening, I see that CNS is looking for somewhere to store thier gear and that they are going to have to spend(thats one word for it) money to rent a storage unit. So what do I do. Well against every fibre and instinct in my body I decide to get INVOLVED and offer to store the gear at my house or at the gym. And what happens? Offer denied! First reason given?Access issues. Second reason given? My history of questioning CNS decisions on certain issues. Real reason? You be the judge.
But wait theres more...the AGM is comming up. Your chance to find out where the $$$ goes. Your chance to have your say. Your chance to get involved. Well just remember a few things. You can have your say as long as it is in line with what the rest of the Board wants otherwise your a nice person. And you can get involved just dont expect much help from anyone else. And remember no matter what you do or say someone will be pissed at you and flame you online so prepare yourself for all the joy and fun of being involved in this wonderfull organization.
As far as my offer goes to VOLUNTEER to store the gear I take it back you can all kiss my ass.
SeanT
"I feel alot better now"
seanT

Postby tracstarr » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:13 am

hehehe, i'm glad you retracted the offer after all this fiddly foo!. I know i would have.
tracstarr

Postby C.Eager » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:49 pm

I can totally understand Sean's side of the story, I used to be the Clinic Administrator. I ran courses for CNS which took a lot of time and effort answering emails, booking instructors, dealing with money etc. A year ago I gave up my position, because I knew my job wouldn't allow me to do my job properly, Although I'm still on the board it is rare that I'm around for a meeting. Sean is right that CNS needs volunteers, that is how an organization like CNS can serve the community better, if you can help out in any way do so, maybe organize an event, new route day, a cleanup, a tour etc. This is not the sole responsibility of the board, but this is how a organization like CNS can get stronger and offer more, we are a organization to be used by the community. I'm not sure what the reason for getting the storage facility was for, nor do I care as the price would easily fit into a annual budget. Should it be spent on the storage locker? maybe not but at this point I wouldn't be concerned about it. CNS doesn't make money, we spend it, and most of the time we have a hard time doing that, unless someone writes a guidebook or makes a movie. Get out and get involved, Sean T does tons for our community running the monday night bouldering series and holding events/comps. CNS is just a name/resource looking out for climbers, the community is far bigger, if you want to help out, CNS is just a channel to do that, as is a gym. The climbing community here and throughout the maritimes has grown a huge amount since I started, which was just four years ago. It would be awesome to get a big turnout to the AGM this year, as it seems the number of concerned climbers has grown, if your super motivated get on the board, if you just want to help out speak up.

My 2 cents
C.Eager

Postby The Mitt » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:55 pm

I don't think it matters because I can't see anyone running for a position this year, with the state CNS is in now. I hope they do, as I have a very important motion I want carried regarding access and money.

I can't agree with Sean enough. I do apologize if my views don't fall in line with peoples business plans.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby The Teth » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:25 pm

Sean T:

Good to see an honest and factual post on this board. I knew something had offended you at the first Boulderfest, but I had never been quite sure of the details.

Teth

(Not to say I agree with all Sean’s interpretations of events, but it seems to be an honest interpretation, and I do not dispute his facts.)
The Teth

political stuff

Postby climberwannabe » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:30 pm

I am the president of the Greenwood motorcycle club and I am fully aware of the same type of issues present in CNS. Volunteers are hard to find and there are those who burn themselves out doing more than their fare share. Clubs always end up relying on these select few, who always get frustrated after a few years and end up like Sean. Its too bad it has to work like this. I am still trying to devise a creative solution to this one.
Another thing, when it comes to government/local funding it is important to get your club known in the community. And not just witht things directly related to the sport (ie route cleaning, etc). One thing we used to participate in was the toy drive and other charitable events that got our name known (these have gone by the wayside from lack of members and interest, and thus our club takes a beating when we are trying to get funding and support). This club needs to be known to the community more. I only learned of this club by literally stumbling over the website. It almost appears to be a bit 'clickish' and this will be the downfall of any organization, cause once the 'click' sepperates all your left with is a bunch of old moldy gear stored somewhere and a bunch of people who dont know who else is involved, or is knowledgable or even interested in the politics.

25 cents.
Steve
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby C.Eager » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:56 pm

Mitt,

I'm not sure what you mean by the state CNS is in now, as if the organization is going to throw in the towel, or the board won't be filled. CNS is access organization, if you give a flowers why don't you head up the Access commitee and see how long that lasts, or how many meetings anyone attends.
C.Eager

Postby The Mitt » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:38 pm

Dude,
Every year in the past 9 years CNS has had issues with filling the board. I don't think I remember a year when someone wanted on the board but went away without a position. Not necessarily the position they want but they still got a position. As for volunteering for the access committee I have since and including the last AGM I said I just don't have time to be the chair but I was willing to do the work, you were there It may even be in the minutes. I have not heard anything from the access committee. How many times this year have they met? Whos on it? Who is the chair? Also I have done my time with CNS as a volunteer 4 years on the board 2 as president (I was not perfect there either). That access committee you speak of was started when I was president, several access issue were also resolved/negotiated. If your calling me out here I am ready to help with access just tell me what you need.

The Mitt (Aka Sean K)
The Mitt

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:26 pm

FINALLY!!! A post that is actually constructive, honest, and about true climbing-related issues. :lol:

Return to Nova Scotia