to top rope 1 or not to top rope 1

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

to top rope 1 or not to top rope 1

Postby climberwannabe » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:33 pm

Hey, anyone here taken the Top Rope Clinics put on by CNS? I am pretty new to climbing as most of you know, but I have been doing my own anchor systems and stuff while ice climbing locally. Is this clinic worth while? I know how to tie the basic knots and I have a basic understanding of anchor systems (ie backing up and equalization, etc). I dunno, just looking for good solid training so that I can have something to fall back on, other then my ass.

Stevo
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby The Mitt » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:02 pm

The CNS courses are generally really good for beginners. With knowledge you have you might want to take Top Rope II.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby seanT » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:44 am

Not to top rope is the answer to your question. You should start to get into lead climbing as soon as possible. Ground Zero Climbing Gym is offering a lead certification course on April 10th from 6-9pm. Cost is $50 and it would be most usefull for you. The longer you toprope the harder it will be to make the transition from TR'ing to leading. So why not start right now.
Sean(the shameless plugger)T
seanT

hmmm

Postby climberwannabe » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:03 pm

Tell me more about this leading course and the certification included. How exactly do you 'certify' someone to lead? How can you teach someone to safely and responsibly lead in 3 hours? How do I apply?

Steve
climberwannabe

Postby seant » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:55 am

email me Groundzeroclimbinggym@ns.sympatico.ca or call 468-8788 for all the details.
SeanT
seant

Postby denise » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:38 am

although learning to lead safely is important,
it's also important to learn how to anchor in safely once you're at the top.

i would suggest both... although i'm not sure if sean's "certification" lead course (hey, i thought sean disagreed with certification!!... oh that must be only when cns suggests it).... would include safe anchoring since it's in a gym

it might be beneficial to get outside and solidify the skills you already have...
could be done through cns or other privately run courses.
denise

Postby seant » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:54 am

nice dig denise im sure its in jest...the certification is for climbing at Ground Zero only. In order to lead there you have to be certified to GZ standards, which involves taking the course and then doing some leading in follow up sessions. We have regular lead nights tues and thurs where the top ropes come down and leading is strongly encouraged.
Peace out.
ST
seant

Postby tracstarr » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:21 am

well well well, no fighting please. Here's a little story about something i saw last night reguarding a 'provincial' belaying cert. I was at set gym last night where there were a group of people who had laminated (makes it more offical) "belay certificates" from PQ. pinned to their harness. First, i'm sure that's a big fashon no no. Secondly, I'd have trusted a tree to belay me first! Belaying with gri-gri's i saw no one holding the ropes with someone sitting on the rope at the top of the wall; belayers not watching or taking up slack and just dropping the rope on the ground to talk to someone else. like WTF! I wanted to throw them out of the gym myself. If this is the kind of thing that's going to occur with provincial certs than no wonder people are against it. I talked to some of the people that work at the gym and they said it's happend a few times before with others coming in with these 'belay certs' and getting lippy and not having a clue. anyway, just my observation.
tracstarr

Postby denise » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:32 am

wow,
that really sucks.

they must not have been utilizing the skills they learned through their cert. program.
denise

ok ok

Postby climberwannabe » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:13 am

Well good to see people giving info but its wandering away from my original question. Is there anyone out there who has taken Top rope 1 or 2? Or anyone who teaches it? I'd like to know more about the course, its kind of vague on the site.

Steve
climberwannabe

Postby The Mitt » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:17 am

Hey climberwannabe,

Come over to the darkside and learn how to Trad climb. There is no need to try and progress into it because it can be as safe as you make it. You don't have to be good (I'm proof of that). Gives you a totaly different feeling. I wouldn't say it was better than bouldering or sport or even top roping all have their merit.

Sean
The Mitt

top rope 1

Postby shannon » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:37 pm

Hey,

I took the top rope level 1 course a few years ago with CNS. I liked what I learned... tying in, belaying, rapelling, some fancy foot work, terms, and great company.

I figured I would learn the content of top rope 2 by being around climbers and studying their anchor craft, and asking good questions. I've had numerious invitations, and hope to take them up on it this summer.

shannon
shannon

Postby The Mitt » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:23 pm

I think that's truely the best way to learn.

Mitt
The Mitt

Return to Nova Scotia