Scientist looking for photos of wandering boulders

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Scientist looking for photos of wandering boulders

Postby The Teth » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:12 pm

The following is an email I received from a Geomorphologist at the Bedford Institute of Oceanography. He studies coastal changes. I had provided him with before and after shots of the Fish Mouth boulder on Dove Island after hurricane Juan tossed it over the cliff. I think he is interested in the effects of the recent large storm. The pictures he attached to his email showed boulders sitting in the Peggys Cove parking lot. If anyone has before and after photos of a coastal boulder which moved in the storm, I am sure he would love to see them.

Teth Cleveland

Teth
Hope all is well with you and your family- Not sure if you are still at this email-do you or your climbing friends like Todd Foster have any records or photos of any significant changes in the boulder -rocky shores that you climb east of halifax because I understand some rocks really moved around Peggys Cove -here are a couple of photos.

If you have any other interesting observations from Noel I would be interested -we are trying to put together a report on the web like we did for Juan

Bob Taylor
Geological Survey of Canada Atlantic
P.O. Box 1006
Dartmouth N.S. B2Y 4A2
botaylor@nrcan.gc.ca
902-426-7736 (ph)
902-426-4104(fax)
The Teth
The Teth

Re: Scientist looking for photos of wandering boulders

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:01 pm

There was some talk about it happening at Prospect in this thread. http://www.climbeasterncanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4139

I'm not sure if we have any pictures of the boulders from years past. I'll have to see if Rebecca knows.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Re: Scientist looking for photos of wandering boulders

Postby Zamboni » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:23 pm

I don't have any of peggys cove, but I would have some from prospect.

Cb.
Zamboni

Return to Nova Scotia