Iceeeeeeeeeeeeee!

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Iceeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:48 pm

I've been seeing fat ice on all the road side choss heaps. Anybody been out to bash away at it yet? I wanna ice climb soooooooooooooooo bad.
Nate
Nate

Re: Iceeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Postby peter » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:01 pm

I was out looking around today on the Parrsboro shore (searching a new area, nothing interesting to report), and am going out again tomorrow. Definitely have ice on the brain, and the snowshoes are getting an early season workout. We have some major precip coming Sunday night, and then warmer temps. If temps go cold again next week after what might be rain/freezing rain on Monday, I am all up for climbing before Xmas. Keep Sunday free in your daytimers. Peter
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby geizer6 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:22 pm

Hey we would like to give it a try. email us at geizer6@ns.sympatico.ca if you make plans, or call on cell at 499-8390. This would be our first go at ice climbing if you wouldn't mind some newbies.

joy and Wayne
geizer6

Postby Zamboni » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:16 pm

has anybody been to check out the Forbidden ice?
Zamboni

Postby peter » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:49 pm

Didn't make it to the Forbidden Zone, but I did do the Musquodoboit Valley today.

Gilbraltar is in, to the usual degree; three 5-6 metre warmup routes. The thinest ones are not really there yet.

Columbus has two lines of about the same size, perhaps a bit bigger.

There is no continuous ice at Howe's Lake Crag, just patches.

Weather looks good for next weekend. Get it while you can.
peter

Postby peter » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:46 pm

Flintstone Quarry is in, enough to climb anyway, if dripping wet. The central cone is enclosed, and the cauliflower left to right route formed. The full curtain to the right is no yet there (only high icicles). This week should improve it.

Deep Cove is almost in, the main pillar 3/4 to the right is formed about 2/3 of the way up the face. There is ice scattered all over the cliff, which hopefully will consolidate, rather than fall off, as it is often inclinded to do.

I am thinking that by next Sunday, Dec. 23, we should be looking at a meeting of interested climbers. Who might attend? Who has the CNS top-rope gear, ice tools, etc.?

Peter
peter

Postby veronica » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:17 pm

Peter, I am up for climbing anytime over the Christmas break, and on any weekend this winter. Dec. 23rd, count me in!

Veronica
veronica

Postby the kydd » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:04 pm

I'm very interested in getting out to try some ice climbing. Unfortunatly I'm out of the province for a week. I would be interested in getting out at another time after December 28th...
the kydd

Postby Zamboni » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:58 pm

Me, Me Me me..... ME!

I'm in for what ever, I gots ALL the gear! I'm off from the 22nd till the 2nd.

I'm IN!
Zamboni

Postby prof » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:00 pm

I'm definitely in for climbing this season. I'll be away from this Friday till NY so will miss any Yuletime festivities I'm afraid. After I get back I'll be keen to go!
prof

Postby the kydd » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:14 am

Is Zamboni off the DL?
the kydd

Postby Scooter » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:39 am

soooo,

who's heading out this weekend?
where ya'll heading?
wouldn't mind trying this icicle climbing I hear so much about, and I got a new camera to take some pics.

Does anybody around here lead any ice?
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby peter » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:11 pm

I can get out on Sunday, Dec. 23/07, for the day, but cannot do Saturday. May I suggest a Sunday morning, 8:00 a.m., gathering at Steve-O-Renos coffee shop in Halifax (Brunswick Street, beside the Spring Garden Library)? If others want to gather at a coffee shop at the Bicentennial Hwy for 8:30 a.m., we could go by there, too, on our way out of town.

High tide at Hall's/Baxter's Harbour(s) is around 11:00 a.m. Sunday, which is not great, as we would want to arrive and be setting up by then, but doable. No one has looked at the ice in the Valley yet, so we don't know what we would find. I don't mind the trip, though, if others are willing and can handle disappointment should it come our way. Lots of driving but at least we would know what is there.

The other option is to head for some inland ice. Deep Cove should be a go by then, although we will have to be nice to any thin ice we find, in the interests of future development, and the warm temps Monday may have taken down some of what I saw on Sunday. Gilbraltar and Truro should be formed but are small for a crowd or sustained activity. I am up for either inland or coastal ice. What's the chatter?
peter

Postby Julia » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:49 pm

Hey,

I'm new to this message board - I'd be up for learning how to climb ice this winter. I've been a couple of times before but don't really know what I'm doing.

Cheers,
Julia
Julia

Postby mick » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:21 pm

I'm in for this weekend for sure.

Peter, I'll be at Steve-o-Renos at 8am on Sunday. I'd love a lift if you're keen but, as was the case with trad climbing, I have zero experience on ice!

Cheers
mick
mick

Postby darrell » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:36 pm

Peter - I am living in Wolfville now. I will try to take a drive out on Friday or Saturday, to see how it looks. I may be up for Sunday, or Saturday if anyone is available.
darrell

Postby peter » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:56 am

darrell wrote:Peter - I am living in Wolfville now. I will try to take a drive out on Friday or Saturday, to see how it looks. I may be up for Sunday, or Saturday if anyone is available.

Excellent, because an inland climb probably makes more sense, this time, but we need to know what is dripping where. Thanks. Peter
peter

Postby peter » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:00 am

So, for Sunday, it looks likely that we will see:

Nate
Joy
Wayne
Conan
Veronica
Scott
Julia
Mick
Ben
Peter

That counts as a critical mass. Check here between now and then for any updates. Otherwise, the plan stands. If you will be somewhere other than Steve-O-Reno's, it would be good to say so here.
peter

Postby Scooter » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:05 am

What time do you estimate we'd arrive back home?
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Zamboni » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:33 am

Att: all newbies, If you want to climb ice, bring you Ski boots!

CB.
Zamboni

Postby mick » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:45 am

Oh dear

I haven't got any ski boots, just my all season hikers... (http://mirror.altrec.com/images/shop/ph ... 6999_m.jpg)

Should I head to the thrift shop and grab some vintage neon martock plastic?

mick
mick

Postby Scooter » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:37 pm

I'm in for sure.
Zamboni can I catch a lift?
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Charles Sutton » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:44 pm

Hi

I'm new to the area and am looking to meet some potential partners. I'd like to tag along with you guys on Sunday if that's ok. I have experience and gear. I'll meet you at Steve-O-Reno's Sunday morning. I can drive one other person in my car or maybe two if you don't mind a tight squeeze.

Chuck

Also, anyone familiar with ice climbing in the area, I'd be interested in getting out tomorrow, Friday and Saturday as well. 423-0585, 456-6384.
Charles Sutton

Postby geizer6 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:32 pm

We're in Sackville, where is the best place to meet you all and when. We are driving a grand caravan, so can offer a ride. Too psyched!
geizer6

Postby mike » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:12 pm

I'm jealous for a couple of reasons:

1. Some mofos stole my axes and harness and mics stuff. Two seperate unrelated incidents (Still got my boots though)

2. I'm in Mexico

I'm heading back to winter soon though. I figure it's about time to get back on the wagon.
Mike
mike

Postby peter » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:29 am

geizer6 wrote:We're in Sackville, where is the best place to meet you all and when. We are driving a grand caravan, so can offer a ride. Too psyched!

When we are heading to the Valley for ice (probably not this weekend), we start from Steve-O-Renos at 8:00 (8:10 max), but stop at the Tim Horton's at Kearney Lake Road and the 102 (exit 2), beside the Holiday Inn Express. We could do that, for simplicity, or the Tim Horton's at Lakelands/Chain Lake Drive and the 103 (exit 2, where St. Margaret's Bay Rd and the 103 meet), as this is the likely direction we are heading. Let's confirm on Saturday, once we have a destination. Probably the latter option, just to save a little time.

mick wrote:I haven't got any ski boots, just my all season hikers... (http://mirror.altrec.com/images/shop/ph ... 6999_m.jpg)
Should I head to the thrift shop and grab some vintage neon martock plastic?
mick

If you can find clip-in plastic boots for next to nothing, sure. CNS has (I don't have them, perhaps Conan does?) strap-on alpine crampons which would fit your hiking boots. As well, we can temporarily switch boots with other climbers if the fit is right. For example, I wear an 11 boot, and my crampons are step-in, so I can take the whole boot/crampon monster off and put someone else's boots on, if there is a fit, while they climb, then switch back. The alpine crampons are quite adequate, and would save you adding the clutter of unwanted plastics to your life.
peter

Postby Zamboni » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:20 pm

what peter says is true, But he hasn't used them in the last 3 years. Dude, I picked up a pair of ski boots at value village for 9 bucks! The alpine crampons are, well, go get ski boots. ( I'll still bring them though )

Cb.
Zamboni

Postby Charles Sutton » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:43 am

Hi,

Darrell and I went to check out Halls Harbour yesterday and things are coming in nicely. We did a great route (4+) down the way that he told me was thinner than when he toproped it with you guys last winter.

Peter, do you know if the longer routes there have been lead? I can't find any documentation of established routes.

What is the destination for Sunday? The tides are not looking cooperative for Sunday. High tide is 11:00 and low is 5:15.

Charles

If I can, I'll try and attach some route photos.
Attachments
IMG_5550 (Medium).jpg
IMG_5550 (Medium).jpg (52.83 KiB) Viewed 3175 times
IMG_5513 (Medium).jpg
IMG_5513 (Medium).jpg (56.66 KiB) Viewed 3170 times
IMG_5511 (Medium).jpg
IMG_5511 (Medium).jpg (58.16 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
Charles Sutton

Postby Julia » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:33 am

Hi,

I'm in for Sunday. Meeting at either of those Tims is good for me or wherever. Where are we off to?

Julia
Julia

Postby The Mitt » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:25 am

Everything at Halls and Deep cove have been lead multiple times. I believe the first leads there were in the 80's/90's.

Mitt
The Mitt

Next

Return to Nova Scotia